Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Troops pay baggage fees on way to war zones

Check out the kind of country we have to live in now. It makes me sick!

Military personnel carry large, heavy kit bags containing boots, clothing and gear. In the past few months, airlines have instituted fees for all travelers ranging from $15 for one bag to $250 for a third bag.

"What we want to do is nip this in the bud by exempting the military personnel who are traveling under orders from having to pay a fee on their third bag," said Veterans of Foreign Wars spokesman Joe Davis.

The VFW sent a letter to the Air Transport Association of America, the aviation industry's umbrella group, asking that U.S. troops be exempt from any extra baggage fees. Watch how troops are getting hit with fees »

"If you have a family at home and you stand at that airline counter and you have three bags in your hand, and they say you can't get on board unless you pay $100 up front right now, what are you going to do?" Davis said.

American Airlines, and others reached by CNN, say troops are allowed heavier and bigger bags and can check two for free, unlike commercial travelers.

Troops are allowed 190 pounds each free of charge, American Airlines spokesman Tim Wagner said, adding: "If they pay, they get reimbursed, so at the end, they don't pay a dime."
    That's not a good answer, the VFW's Davis said.

"These young troops are going to war," he said. "There's a lot more on their mind than to have to worry or try to remember to get a hundred dollars reimbursed to them when they get into a war zone."

The military usually issues vouchers authorizing extra baggage before a flight, but troops must pay up front if they don't have one.

And though reimbursement is likely, pending approval, as with any business expense, it is not guaranteed.

The Air Transport Association says it supports the troops, but baggage policies are "made independently by the individual airlines."

The association says it has no plans to ask for an across-the-board waiver for U.S. service members.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/08/13/tr ... index.html
    Work Harder Millions on Welfare Depend on You!

WHY DO WE BAIL THE AIRLINES OUT AGAIN, REMIND ME, PLEASE?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Every time we bail them out, things just get worse. I'm beginning to wonder if they even want to be in business anymore. But to charge our troops? That is a disgrace.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    If this wasnt so insane I would be laughing in disgust

(IN A NUTSHELL)

Guess it all goes hand-in-hand!
    Send them to war and make THEM pay THEIR WAY.... and if they have THE UNFORTUNATE LUCK of ending up in a VA hospital ...then they can be kept from registering TO VOTE..................

I have to add to the fact that AMERICAN TAXPAYERS have to pay over $700.00 (contracted out to Air Mexico in Arizona ) to send each individual ILLEGAL ALIEN back to their HOMELANDS(so it is free for them).

But meanwhile charge our fighting forces FOR EXTRA BAGGAGE! While fighting BUSH"S WAR
    [/b]
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou