Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Trump just gave a GIANT hint about when he'll fire Jeff Sessions

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Trump just gave a GIANT hint about when he'll fire Jeff Sessions

Donald Trump just gave a GIANT hint about when he'll fire Jeff Sessions

Analysis by Chris Cillizza, CNN Editor-at-large
    Updated 6:29 PM ET, Thu August 30, 2018

(CNN)In an interview with Bloomberg on Thursday, President Donald Trump -- as he so often does -- made some news: He won't be firing much-maligned Attorney General Jeff Sessions before the 2018 midterms.

"I just would love to have him do a great job," Trump told Bloomberg, before pointedly noting that he made no promises about Sessions' fate post-November 6, 2018.

Which means -- in Trump speak -- that Sessions will be fired on or about November 7.

Trump likely thinks that by announcing he won't fire Sessions before the midterm election, he has acceded to the wishes of the bulk of Senate Republicans who a) like Sessions personally (he spent two decades in the Senate prior to serving as AG) and b) don't want to worry about the complications to the likely confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court that an opening for the attorney general spot would cause.

Remember that less than 48 hours ago, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell offered Sessions an unquestioning endorsement in the wake of the latest bit of Trump criticism: "I have total confidence in the attorney general," said McConnell. "I think he ought to stay exactly where he is."

"See, Mitch, you said you wanted him to stay where he was -- and he will (until very soon after the election)," you can imagine Trump saying to himself, and maybe even out loud.

And I suppose McConnell will be satisfied -- sort of. By postponing the Sessions firing until after the election, it clears the runway for the likely Kavanaugh confirmation.

But make no mistake: Trump isn't doing Sessions any favors here. He is turning Sessions into a lame duck -- an even lamer duck than Sessions already was, given the fact that Trump has spent most of the last year savaging his AG publicly. And that's a very, very, very lame duck.

The Point
    : Circle November 7 on your calendar. And don't be surprised if Sessions is gone on (or around) that day.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/30/polit...ons/index.html

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

My comment is not about Sessions or this specific incidence, it is about the phrase---wait until after the election.

This is about 1001 times I have read can't/won't do before the election. Makes me angry every time I read it. Their only interest is an election not what is best for the country.
    You've got to Stand for Something or You'll Fall for Anything

MW
    But make no mistake: Trump isn't doing Sessions any favors here. He is turning Sessions into a lame duck -- an even lamer duck than Sessions already was, given the fact that Trump has spent most of the last year savaging his AG publicly. And that's a very, very, very lame duck.
    Despite that, Sessions has still been very active and is doing a good job. Trump's attempts to weaken Sessions support through public floggings is disgraceful. I can't speak for all Trump voters, but Trump's repeated public attacks on Jeff Sessions have greatly reduce the respect level I had for him (Trump).

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW View Post
    Despite that, Sessions has still been very active and is doing a good job. Trump's attempts to weaken Sessions support through public floggings is disgraceful. I can't speak for all Trump voters, but Trump's repeated public attacks on Jeff Sessions have greatly reduce the respect level I had for him (Trump).
    I think of it this way---If someone isn't doing a good job and needs to be fired---this is no way to handle that situation. What CEO would put their company through something like this if they had an employee who needed to be fired?

Trump doesn't want to fire Sessions. But Sessions is the Attorney General, he is the one who is supposed to clean up the DOJ, he is the one who is supposed to stop these DOJ witch hunts, illegal surveillance, spying, conniving, raiding, framing, squeezing, and prosecuting for political gain and purposes. He's not doing that. Instead, he jumped off the bus and let it run wild, so wild that it's impacting lives, money, careers, families, political freedom, elections, foreign affairs and national security.

I don't understand why a Republican Attorney General would do this.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by stoptheinvaders View Post
    My comment is not about Sessions or this specific incidence, it is about the phrase---wait until after the election.

This is about 1001 times I have read can't/won't do before the election. Makes me angry every time I read it. Their only interest is an election not what is best for the country.
    Our elections are for the country. It's how the people express their choice of representation in Congress. Having big controversial ta-do's during campaigns can unduly influence the elections. And what has been omitted from Trump's statement is the "if ever". His whole statement was not just not before the mid-terms, but not before the elections, if ever. Again, Trump doesn't want to fire Sessions, he wants him to do his job, the whole job, and to Trump that means stopping these political witch hunts. Congress shouldn't be the one to be investigating this corruption in DOJ, it should be Jeff Sessions. Instead Jeff is staying out of it completely because of the recusal. Rosenstein turns out to be part of the corruption, something Trump didn't know when he was appointed. Congress Republicans uncovered that through their investigations. It's a wicked web being woven in DOJ and Trump wants Sessions to clean it up and stop these witch hunts against good people.

Sessions tied his own hands with the recusal, so he barred himself from fixing much of what needs to be fixed. It's a shame, a tragedy, it really is. You can't blame the President for being extremely disappointed in this fact.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Big Trump Rally coming on right now in Evansville, Indiana!! Just makes you happy to watch these. I love this President. He is so uplifting. Despite everything he's dealing with, he's out there in Indiana on a Thursday night with the people having a blast with them. What this man has already done for our country will be marveled at for decades and decades to come. And he had to take on the world, the Democrats, Never-Trumpers, Congress, Courts, Businesses, Corporations, Professionals, Institutions, NATO, EU, China, North Korea, Iran, Mexico, Canada, France ... the world world. And all he has behind him are people like me, Trump Supporters. We'll stand by him no matter what, because he's the real deal and and only deal in town.

GO TRUMP GO!!!! We've got your back all the way all the time!!

VOTE REPUBLICAN IN 2018!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    Our elections are for the country..
    and once they are elected they are expected to do something for the country, not ignore or do the exact opposite of their campaign promises like Trump has done.

We did not elect him to keep running for another election using the same dang promises he made the last time.

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    Sessions tied his own hands with the recusal, so he barred himself from fixing much of what needs to be fixed. It's a shame, a tragedy, it really is. You can't blame the President for being extremely disappointed in this fact.
    and Trump isn't keeping his promises about immigration, and sometimes doing the opposite of his promises. It's a shame, a tragedy, it really is!

You can't blame the citizens of this country for being extremely disappointed in this fact.

Quote Originally Posted by stoptheinvaders View Post
    and once they are elected they are expected to do something for the country, not ignore or do the exact opposite of their campaign promises like Trump has done.

We did not elect him to keep running for another election using the same dang promises he made the last time.
    Oh wake up, I don't know what YOU voted for Trump to do, but this man is doing everything I voted for him to do. What he's doing on so many fronts is a dream come true, and he's just getting started. With a real majority in the Congress, he'll fix this immigration disaster, he's already done a lot on illegal immigration and legal immigration too with much more to come. If you want to ignore everything else and act disappointed on immigration, that's fine, that's your choice, you won't be disappointed long. Trump is going to win these mid-terms, stack that Congress with Republicans and get everything he wants to solve all the issues he ran to solve including immigration. And then you can look back on yourself and pat yourself on the back for attacking the very President that solved the apparently one issue you care about. Back home, we call that slinking sheepishly back to your corner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast