Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Well, economic disparities were not eliminated by wearing school uniforms in the S. American country in which I taught some years ago either because it was obvious by looking at the difference of the quality of material of the uniforms of the private and public school children together with the ensignias on their pockets to see immediately who attended which kind of school. However, at least the intent was there and the philosophy was respected.

However, while I have read that many U.S. parents themselves now are requesting school uniforms, it concerns me that this sometimes is presented in terms of "children wore school uniforms in the countries they came from". Just as there was virtually no "upward economic mobility" in S. America, evidently we in the United States are now losing more of ours. I fear that mandating school uniforms may be just another way in which we as a country are being required to forfeit our own traditional way of life to the customs of others coming from outside our nation. If it comes as a request of a majority of parents in a local school distrcit, that is fine, but I fear liberal organizations would like to use this as a "back door" to mandating it as national school policy.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

(E-mail from one of eleven board members)

Thank you for expressing your thoughts. We appreciate parents who take an interest in their children's education.

I'm aftaid the idea has gotten around that the process is nearly complete and that unified dress is a done deal. That is not the case at all. We are nowhere near a conclusion on this idea. The concept of unified dress has come up several times over the last few years. The current concept originated with a group of parents and teachers at the middle schools and they asked us to investigate the possibility. That is what we are doing now. This idea did not originate with the administration or with the school board. We are simply responding to a request to investigate.

We are very, very early in the investigative process now. The board felt that we could not make any kind of judgement without additional information, and that is where the "Unified Dress Moves Ahead" headline in Sunday's paper came from. I believe it created an inaccurate picture of where we are in the process. We have simply asked that more information be gathered. Once we feel we have adequate information, we will seek community input. I personally feel that this is something the community will need to lead us into or out of. If there is not adequate support, I do not feel we should implement unified dress, but I remind you that I am speaking only for myself and not the entire board.

I appreciate your concern, but I would ask that you please give the information-gathering process time to take place and give us an opportunity to study the information we gather. The process will be publicized along the way and discussed in open sessions of our school board meetings, to which the public is always invited.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

(I have a petition ready for Thursday Night's meeting against "Unified Dress Code".)
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Only one individual at this board meeting folks after a month in the news Apathy or is it ok to give up Citizen Rights, one at a time. Isn't there a modest Dress Code already?

Moody, Fitch to get new jobs

By Kathi Keys -- Staff Writer
    Posted: 02/12/09 - 10:18:04 pm CST
    [quote]
    ASHEBORO — Two Asheboro City Schools administrators have been elevated to posts in which they’ll replace retiring personnel.

Nancy Moody, principal of Charles W. McCrary Elementary School, will become the school district’s director of high school curriculum, replacing Curt Lorimer, director of Career and Technical Education, who retires Feb. 27.

Kemper Fitch, assistant principal at Asheboro High School, will take over the AHS reins and replace Dr. Larry Riggan who’s retiring April 30.

Both appointments are effective July 1 for the 2009-10 school year.

The Asheboro City Board of Education also approved the school district’s 2010-11 school year calendar at Thursday night’s regular meeting. No changes were made from the original calendar presented for public input; no one submitted comments about it.

Asheboro has traditionally adopted a calendar about a year and half before the school year begins; the 2009-10 calendar was approved a year ago and can be viewed on the city schools website, www.asheboro.k12.nc.us, under the parent section on the top right.

The 2010-11 calendar was developed by a calendar committee of parents, staff and board members in January and available for public input from mid-January through Feb. 3.

The school year will begin Aug. 25, 2010, and end Thursday, June 9, 2011, for students. The calendar contains the traditional school holidays and teacher workdays throughout the year. Christmas break will be Wednesday, Dec. 22, 2010, through Friday, Jan. 1, 2011; spring break will have a extra day and be from Thursday, April 21, through Friday, April 29, 2011.

Riggan announced last fall that he would be retiring in April. He’s worked in the educational field for 33 years, 21 of them as a high school principal. He has served as AHS principal for nine years.
    Fitch has been an assistant principal at AHS since 2004 and is described as a driving force in providing educational opportunities for students that include the N.C. Virtual Public School, the iSchool, the Zoo School and Nova Academy.

The Appalachian State University graduate has been in education for over 30 years, beginning in Moore County Schools. He has taught health and physical education, coached multiple sports and served as an assistant principal.

Lorimer announced in November that he would retire in February. He has been in education for 34 years, 23 of them with Asheboro City Schools and the last 12 in his present administrative post.

Moody, a High Point University graduate, has more than 25 years educational experience in North Carolina and Louisiana. She taught grades 7-12 science and has been a coach.

She was an assistant principal at AHS where she led the planning and implementation for the Blue Comet Academy and has been McCrary’s principal for two years.

Schools Superintendent Dr. Diane Frost called the selections “two very important appointments for our administrative team.â€

Schools are like prisons of course they want the children in uniforms. Then they can tell the guards from the prisoners.

Ever hear of Lockdown? This was a term first used in prisons when things got out of hand, they now use and practice this technique in schools anytime a car backfires.

If you dont want your children treated like little prisoners, dont send them to public schools. Either private, charter or home school.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

While I went to public high school in the late 60s, there was a strict dress code: no boy could have hair touching his collar, and girls' skirts had to cover their knees. My senior year, when blue jeans were the hot item, the school wrote policy not allowing blue jeans, so kids (including me) came in wearing every color of jeans except blue. And there was no hand-holding in the hallway or the assistant principal would karate-chop the hands apart. Those were the rules, period.
    About a year or two later I went back for a visit and could not believe my eyes. Well-endowed female students obviously wore no bras, and boys had hair longer than mine. And forget holding hands; kids were making out on the auditorium steps.
    Were it my decision to make if my grandkids wore uniforms, I would vote yes. Schools and family are supposed to prepare youth to go out into the competitive world where there is great respect for looking business-like, not like they just showed up in last night's clothes or those they wore for raking leaves in the yard.
    vmonkey, I know you will do what is right for your kids. My son went to a private school where they did require uniforms, and he is no worse for the "wear." Just wonder if your school districts is seeing any problems where kids are wearing gang colors?

Please pass this site on to others.

http://www.newswithviewsstore.com/mm5/m ... ry_Code=BE

Why do we need uniforms really in Public Schools?

Quote Originally Posted by vmonkey56
    Hazleton, PA ? Isn't this odd everyone?
    I'm not sure where you're going with this, but I'm listening.

The Haz dress code can be found at: Adobe file (PDF)

And the school website is at http://www.hasd.k12.pa.us/

You'll notice that "school-sanctioned" hoodies are allowed. WHen I asked a school board member why those hoodies are acceptable but a plain black hoodie is not, she said it's a safety issue. LOL so I guess a hoodie with the school logo on it isn't a safety issue.

I'm dealing with morons who lack basic common sense.
    The flag flies at half-mast out of grief for the death of my beautiful, formerly-free America. May God have mercy on your souls.
    RIP USA 7/4/1776 - 11/04/2008

Quote Originally Posted by lindiloo
    As someone who grew up wearing school uniform it did me no harm whatsoever. It made getting dressed each morning very much less complicated and kept good clothes for out of school.

Having raised a child who has attended school under both systems it is much easier if a uniform is set in place. In the long run it did not cost any more having a uniform since it was bought at the beginning of the year and pretty much lasted until the next year. With changing fashions and trends at least I did not have to buy multiple outfits for school to make sure that peers did not ridicule my child for what they are wearing.

Just my opinion having actually lived in both systems.
    I understand what you're saying. We avoid the whole picked-on-for-not-wearing name brands thing under control. I simply tell my children NO. I also let them pick out most of their clothes, which helps their own confidence about what they're wearing.

It certainly does cost more to keep a school wardrobe and a regular wardrobe for each child. Before this code, my kids wore jeans, T-shirts, sweaters, sweatshirts, etc. They also wore the same things for play, going out, etc. One wardrobe, one cost, end of story. Now it's school clothes, play clothes, and have to purchase new stuff throughout the year as Khakis get dirty and stain easily, plus my kids are growing quickly at this age.

I'm applying all of my school-aged children to Milton Hershey. My husband and I are going to meet with some of the school's personnel in two weeks.

If that doesn't pan out, I'm refusing to follow the dress code. My kids were better students (straight-A's and a couple B's) when they didn't have the dress code garbage to deal with. I also am buying real backpacks for them and the school can kiss my all-American rearend.

I guess there's a reason my husband calls me Trouble.
    The flag flies at half-mast out of grief for the death of my beautiful, formerly-free America. May God have mercy on your souls.
    RIP USA 7/4/1776 - 11/04/2008

(Not waiting until they pass this, these same people have been working on this in the the county and it got rejected. Those of you with these codes already start a PETITION, it will give people back a bit of control, one signer at a time. If you need help with the wording I don't mind helping. Below is my petition.)

[b]No to Public School Unified Dress Code in Asheboro City Schools

Category: Education

Target: All Asheboro Citizens, Students, and Parents of Asheboro City Public Schools

Background:

The Asheboro City School Board of Education is trying to obligate their Students to wear a school uniform. From the newspapers and meetings held it seems some individuals have to much time on their hands and think the good citizens of Asheboro should afford such wasteful spending of taxpayer money to diminish or ignore the process of law; and fairness afforded by a petition on the “Unified Dress Codeâ€

Okay....I've tried to read through this to see if THIS is what I've been looking for.....IS THIS A NATIONAL UNIFORM DRESS CODE for American school children?

I am asking this because I read something a few weeks ago which seemed to indicate to me that POSSIBLY in the stimulus bill there is money to create jobs involving creating a national public school uniform.

I said, "Whoa! The only place I've seen that is in Cuba and China!"

I hope that I am wrong. I have been wanting to TRY to find out if this is true or not.

If we're talking about individual schools ....that's one thing, but a national school uniform for American chidren sends a chill through me.

Can anyone provide accurate information regarding the possibility that this provision or plan might be inside of that bill?

Thank you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast