Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Whites Only Scholarship Creates Outrage

Whites Only Scholarship Creates Outrage

College Republicans Say Scholarship Was Created to Spark Debate
    College Presidents' Blogs Open Door to Controversy

By ANNE-MARIE DORNING

BOSTON, Nov. 22, 2006 — Joe Mroszczyk, president of the College Republicans at Boston University, admits he set out to stir up a hornet's nest when he came up with the idea of offering a whites-only scholarship at the school. But he got a little more buzz than he bargained for.

"To tell you the truth, we didn't see this coming," Mroszczyk said. "The Drudge Report picked it up yesterday, and today I just finished a round of national interviews. It's kind of overwhelming."

All the media attention is focused on a $250 Caucasian Achievement and Recognition Scholarship offered by Mroszczyk and the BU chapter of the College Republicans. Applicants must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.2 or higher; they must write two essays; and, here's the kicker, they must be at least one-quarter Caucasian.

The application itself offers an explanation: "We believe that racial preferences in all their forms are perhaps the worst form of bigotry confronting America today."

According to Mroszczyk, his group is offering the scholarship to point out "how ridiculous it is to have any sort of racially based scholarship."

At BU, for example, students who are at least one-quarter Hispanic can apply for a National Hispanic Recognition Scholarship.

"There are plenty of poor, white, academically gifted students who need that money just as much," Mroszczyk said.

It isn't the first time a group of students has tried this kind of stunt.

Two years ago a chapter of the College Republicans at Roger Williams University also offered a $250 whites-only scholarship. That's where the BU students got the idea.

"We are not doing this as some kind of white supremacy thing. I wanted to have a dialogue about racial preference," Mroszczyk said.

It seems as if Mroszczyk has gotten his wish. People from across the country are now weighing in on the idea through e-mail and the radio. And closer to home, some BU students are having their say too.

"It's a poor way to talk about affirmative action," said David Coreas, the 21-year-old senior who is president of the Latino fraternity Phi Iota Alpha at BU. "If they want to have a scholarship, then let them have a scholarship, but they're stirring up controversy in the wrong way."

Coreas said he believes that racially based scholarships are necessary to level a very uneven academic playing field.

"We have to look at the situation honestly," he said. "Caucasians tend to have a higher per capita income than Latinos and other minorities. We have to have scholarships to survive."

Coreas said he would welcome an honest dialogue on campus about race and affirmative action.

Mroszczyk admits even some of his good friends are shaking their heads.

"They said I can't believe you're doing this," he said.

But for all the talk, there are still no takers for the scholarship. The application has been available online since Nov. 7, and so far not one student has filled it out.

That's money wasted, according to David Coreas.

"I wish I could apply: That $250 could help me pay for my textbooks," he said.

Coreas isn't eligible, though.

But for BU students who have a pretty good GPA and can write a couple of essays, there's still time, as long as they're also 25 percent Caucasian. The deadline for applications is Nov. 30.
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=26742 ... SFeeds0312
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Somebody explain why anything with a "racial preference" isn't discrimatory. Why can't one be offered to whites? I am sick of this basic assumption by people that somehow "whites" are "in the money."

that's what the kids are trying to prove.

But, the PC bug has been deeply implanted in the majority of them.
    How sad.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=45050

Denny's Awards Scholarships to 36 Latino Students

10/25/2006
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

In the town where I live my children are the minority. There are a lot of scholarships given just because kids are hispanic. The hispanics are the majority race here. Of course there are no race based scholarships for the minority(white) students here.

I know of two hispanic students in my sons class that got full rides to college just because they were hispanic. There were probably more but I knew both of these students personally so can only vouch for them. Both ranked in the bottom half of their class. My son was in the top 5% of his class and there were no full rides for him. He had to pay for almost all of his education. He did get a few small scholarships but they only paid for a small part of his education.

Somebody explain why anything with a "racial preference" isn't discrimatory. Why can't one be offered to whites? I am sick of this basic assumption by people that somehow "whites" are "in the money."

Exactly. I know when my daughter graduated from highschool and they announced all the various scholarships there weren't any white students that got any for the exception of 1 girl for super outstanding grades. There were quite a few too.

I know when I wanted to go back to school there were tons of scholarships for anyone, as long as you weren't white. My daughter tried for a grant and was refused, not because she didn't qualify financially....they plain out told her she wasn't the right color. I'm all for equality but it's become a punishment being white,( unless you're wealthy of course.) I just wonder when it will really be equal.

You should be able to have it. If there other other scholarships based on race, it should be allowed for any race offering their particular scholarship. White people should be allowed to be PROUD of the ethnicity like any other group.

White people are not "allowed" to be proud....the second you were, the Southern Poverty Law Center would brand you a "hate group."

Coreas said he believes that racially based scholarships are necessary to level a very uneven academic playing field.
    Sorry pal, but when it comes to competition for scholarships, most of the hopeful recipients are on a level playing field: Poor yet brilliant students of ALL ethnic backgrounds...including "whites"

Coreas is just another player in the most racist (yet tax exempt!) group to come down the pike, The National Council of la Raza (NCLR).

David Coreas, the 21-year-old senior who is president of the Latino fraternity Phi Iota Alpha at BU.
    Who is president of the Caucasian fraternity?? Do they ever assimilate into anything???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast