Page 174 of 830 FirstFirst ... 74124164170171172173174175176177178184224274674 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 8292
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: BASIC LIST / SUGGESTED ITEMS FOR LONG TERM SURVIVAL

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 10 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 10 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-26-2012 at 06:37 AM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Prepping to Survive: The Nautical Series Pt. 1: The Bug Out Boat
    Contributing Author
    Ready Nutrition

February 2012

Editor’s Note: If and when an emergency occurs where evacuations are ordered, many of us will be scrambling to get our bug out vehicles packed and ready in hopes of not getting caught in the mass exodus along the way. Mike, a nautical virtuoso, along with his wife will be bugging out by another mode of transportation: their yacht. While we are sitting in stand still traffic for hours on end, they will be setting there sails toward a remote island to sit out the emergency in quiet solitude. Read more on how they have, and continue to prepare for a SHTF scenario.

For over a year now, my wife and I have been actively prepping for the collapse of the system that we all have grown to believe could never fail. We often see others afflicted with the normalcy bias; something so terrible it could never happen to us here. Wrong, it can and will.

Both my wife and I are entrepreneurs, and make our living from the sea. Boats and yachts are our life; we sleep aboard a boat and work aboard one almost every day. So when the process of prepping began, it was no question that the sea would provide our getaway plan; it’s what we know best.

We own a 44 foot motor yacht and keep it docked on the southern US coastline in a small fishing village. (I’ll not divulge any location specifics as I must maintain my confidentiality.) We are about ½ mile from the open waters of the sea.

When beginning our prepping process, we prepared a list of priority items. A year’s supply of freeze dried foods, instant foods, boat maintenance equipment, survival gear like guns and ammo and normal household supplies were placed on the list, most things any prepper would do. We even have items like sprouting seeds, instant orange juice, and a year’s supply of coffee to provide some semblance or normalcy. We carry 500 gallons of diesel fuel and have a 400 gallon fresh water storage capacity. All of these are stored aboard.

Using a yacht as a getaway vessel gave us some advantages. It allows us to retreat to remote locations that only a boater will be able to get to; we will then be out of reach of some 95% of the population.

Using freeze dried foods takes water and we carry a finite supply, or we did. We have now installed a reverse osmosis watermaker aboard our boat too. We can now turn salt water into drinking water at the flip of a switch.

But a water maker takes power to run and we have a limited power supply, or we did. Recognizing that we must conserve diesel fuel by not operating the generator any more than necessary, we have installed both solar panels and a wind turbine. These can keep the boats 12 volt power supply at 100%. An inverter converts battery power to 120 volt ac power to operate the yacht’s refrigeration.

We have selected a getaway anchorage on the leeward side of an island not too far from us. The anchorage offers good protection from possible storms, and allows us good visibility to observe other boats approaching. The island is only accessible by water and has only several part-time inhabitants. The mainland is over a mile away. It’s not likely too many boats will be out when the SHTF.

The island is abundant in deer and wild turkeys and my shooting skills are right on target. Fish, crabs and shellfish are also abundant too. I was raised on the coast so fishing and hunting is a natural. Fresh game or trout for dinner anyone?
    So when the SHTF, you may be retreating to a cabin in the hills; we will be living off the sea.
    Fair winds.
    Mike

Author: Contributing Author
    Web Site:
    http://www.ReadyNutrition.com/
    Date: February 13th, 2012

Prepping to Survive: The Nautical Series Pt. 1: The Bug Out Boat | Ready Nutrition

Related Reading:

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Prepping to Survive: The Nautical Series Pt. 2: Harbors of Healing

Contributing Author
    Ready Nutrition

February 2012

Editor’s Note: We all have our own definition of what freedom is. In Part 2 of the Nautical series, Capt. Mike gives us a first hand account of why he has chosen his boat as a means to bug out and what his plans are until the veritable “S” hits the fan.

What makes us boaters the people we are? Why do people go to the expense of owning a boat? US country singer/songwriter Kenny Chesney has a song titled Boats on his CD Lucky Old Sun. In the song he sings:
    “Boats…. vessels of freedom, harbors of healing…boats, twenty years of a landlocked job was all that Tom could take….. sitting at his desk all alone and depressed (he) says this just can’t be my fate, ….went home that night and told his wife (that) you can tell all of your friends it’s been real but it ain’t been fun (so we are) gonna get us one of them…boats… vessels of freedom, harbors of healing…boats”.
    I’ve listened to that song a hundred times and it gets better each time. He found the words I’ve always known were there but never could quite find them. Good for him!

As a boater I find it sometimes becomes hard to explain to non-boaters what the love affair is all about. Perhaps it’s a sickness; at least it’s a bug. Some of us use our boats as a home, treating her like a member of the family. I do have a habit of talking to our boat; she speaks back but in ways only I can hear. She has become a refuge of sorts, a protected port. Sleeping in a motel room when I’m on the road just isn’t the same; I can’t wait to get back to my baby.

I have friends that use their boats for an escape from life’s uncertain path, relying on their boats to unwind from everyday stress. They take their sailboats, trawlers or motoryachts out to feel the wind on their faces, the sun on their backs; their boats bring them peace. Other friends, have their boats equipped to make a living from the sea, as do the many shrimpers and charter boat Captains that ply the waters of our Florida coast.

Our boat has become a life ring of sorts, protecting us from the “stormy weather” that waits at the cabin door. She offers us a mobile platform to escape the coming collapse and likely civil unrest that will surely follow. She provides the warmth from the cold and protection from the rains. My lady is a small city afloat offering luxurious accommodations, water making and power generation capabilities as well as having a complete waste treatment system.

But as a full-time waterman, I can say it’s more than what it seems. Yes, it’s a state of mind. Leaving the world behind, knowing you have everything you need to sustain yourself and your crew for weeks on end. If I want to stay in one place, I do; if I want to leave, I can do that too. Oh boats can be trouble and they take tons of work to maintain but we boaters consider it a labor of love.

You just can’t place a price tag on the feeling when you are at the helm, everything works as designed, the air is crisp and the sea is calm. It takes only one good sunset to make it all worthwhile. And as far as escaping from the coming collapse of our culture, you could not do it any better way.

Until the SHTF I am going to enjoy one of life’s simple pleasures; there is little use worrying over when it will happen. But when the time to bug out is upon us, I’m going to do it in style.

Mark Twain, an American author eloquently said “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

Spanish philosopher Jose’ Ortegay Gasset once said, “Tell me the landscape in which you live, and I’ll tell you who you are.”

That pretty much sums it up.
    Fair winds.
    Mike

Web Site: http://www.ReadyNutrition.com/

Date: February 15th, 2012
    Related Categories: Evacuation, Preparedness

Prepping to Survive: The Nautical Series Pt. 2: Harbors of Healing | Ready Nutrition

Related Reading:

Prepping to Survive: The Nautical Series: Pt. 3 Solar Power

Tess Pennington
    Ready Nutrition

February 2012

Editor’s Note: While we are sitting in stand still traffic for hours on end, Capt. Mike and his wife will be setting there sails toward a remote island to sit out a SHTF emergency in quiet solitude. This article will discuss, in depth how they have equipped their yacht with solar energy as a means to thrive during a long-term emergency. Click here to read Part 1 and Part 2.

In a recent article Tess Pennington wrote “So, what happens if and when the grid goes down for an extended period of time? Aside from the aggravation of not being able to determine what is happening through traditional media channels, for the Average Joe, his problems have only just begun. Our dependency to the grid doesn’t just stop at lack of electricity in our homes to power our appliances or an inability to charge our cell phones; it is much broader and affects every aspect of our lives”.

Oh how true that statement is; most people could not survive a day without computers, refrigeration, cell phones and TV. Most people have never had to live off the grid unless they were primitive camping; and even then it was probably only for a weekend. But for some of us people planning to use our yachts as a refuge for when the SHTF, using solar is already being practiced. Some of us have already taken the steps necessary to keep the power flowing; we have built our own power grid. We have tested it in the actual real world environment and have been using it when we are away from the dock for pleasure, so we know the application and technology works.

What is a Solar Panel and How Do They Work?

Solar panels are in theory any panel that uses the sun’s thermal energy to produce electricity. A solar panel can be described as a photovoltaic panel, the term used in the industry, for panels designed to produce electricity from the rays of the sun. Despite the category of solar panel being discussed, almost all solar panels are flat.

This is because the face of the panel needs to be at a 90 degree angle from the sun’s rays for the most favorable angle to absorb the sun’s rays. Solar panels are able to take in energy from the sun through an array of solar cells on their surface. Much like how a plant is able to soak up energy from the sun for photosynthesis, solar cells perform in a comparable manner. As the sun’s rays hit the solar cells on a photovoltaic panel, the power is transferred to a silicon semiconductor. The power is then changed into (dc) direct current electricity and then passed through connecting wires to finally enter a storage battery.

Types of Solar Panels

Types of panels most normally used in boating applications have either multicrystalline or amorphous thin-film cells. Multicrystalline panels are the oldest technology available and also the most powerful. When sized appropriately and matched to suitable batteries, these are the panels to use for operating large loads such as refrigeration. Amorphous thin film solar panels are only about 50% as effective as multicrystalline panels, but can be bought in flexible forms so they can roll or fold, or correspond to the shape of a yacht cabin top or bimini. They don’t normally have enough output for significant energy replenishment, but can be used to trickle charge a battery bank.

How Much Power Do Solar Cells Make?

Generally, we measure solar panels by wattage and that is how we buy them. You can buy solar panels for boats as small as 10 watts to as large as 200 watts or even larger. But it is easier to understand when we convert watts to amperage. We arrive at these values by multiplying the number of hours the panel spends in full sun (usually defined as 8 per day in Florida) times the panel’s wattage. For a 195 watt solar panel the output would be 195 x 8 hrs = 1,560 watts/day. Taking it step further, 1,560 watts/12 volts = 130 amps per day. Keep in mind that solar panels produce DC power which means that you will need a deep cycle battery bank to hold the charge. Batteries are rated by the amp hours they hold.

So what is Needed in a Solar Panel Setup?

Obviously, one or more solar panels are necessary to make the system work. In addition, you will need:
    • a large bank of deep cycle batteries, the bigger the bank the better
    • an inverter, choose between pure sin or modified (to be discussed in another article)
    • a controller and
    • proper wiring and fuses to wire the parts together.

Energy Consumption – A

My guiding principle on how many panels to buy is simple; buy as many panels as your budget and mounting location will allow. You cannot have too many. But you should complete an energy audit to make sure you are buying enough for your needs. Example, if you have 3 interior lights that draw 2 amps each and you leave them on for 4 hours per day, your consumption would be 3 x 2 x 4 = 24 AH/Day. You can generally find the amp load for appliances on a label inside a door etc.

Amps Hours AH/Day
    House Lighting
    Refrigeration
    Freezer
    Stereo
    Other
    TOT AMP HRS:

Inverter Loads – B

An inverter is a device that coverts battery DC power to household AC power; without an inverter, unlike on a yacht, your solar panel will have little value if used at a home. But with an inverter you can use your hair dryer.

Inverter loads use DC power but they are powering AC appliances and equipment. If you need to convert watts to amps use (12watts/12 volts = 1amp).

Amps Hours AH/Day
    Computer
    Microwave
    Refrigeration
    Freezer
    Heater
    Hair Dryer
    TV
    Other
    TOT AMP HRS:
    *Calculate your total daily energy consumption
    AH/per day

Solar Energy Production – C

Alternative sources of power such as solar panels can replace the amp/hrs drawn from the batteries. But like the energy budget that calculated your usage you will also need to calculate your re-supply of amp hours.

Remember the formula – (12 watts/12 volts = 1 amp). But keep in mind, the formula is only a gage; absolute accuracy can only be where the panel output is constant and a solar panel may at times operate inefficiently due to shading by clouds.

Watts Amps X – Hours Sun Exposure = – AH Day
    Solar Panel 1
    Solar Panel 2
    Total AMP Hours production:

Solar Panel Needs

Compare the daily energy consumption in AH/Day to the solar energy production. Your solar energy production ( C ) should be greater than the consumption ( A, B ). If not, select a larger wattage panel and recalculate. Always purchase more solar panel output than you will think you will need; some planners recommend at least 30% in excess. We bought our panel from Sun Electronics in Miami, www.sunelec.com as they had the best pricing I could find anywhere online. But remember, panels must be shipped via freight as they are heavily packed to reduce the chance of damage so be sure to calculate those costs in your purchase.

Mounting Your Solar Panel

Now that you have your solar panel, where do you mount it? As we said before, mounting the panel 90 degrees to the southern sun is optimum. You will get the best energy production this way. But on boats, finding a suitable location is tricky at best.

I chose to mount our panel on the top of the trawler sundeck hardtop in a horizontal manner. Here it will get the best view of the sun and be clear from the radar arch shading as the trawler turns at anchor. The angle toward the sun in not exactly at 90 degrees but it will have to do. I chose a 195 watt panel so I have almost a 50% reserve capacity in my panel to make up for the slight inefficiency of the sun’s angle. If you choose to install a panel on land, consider mouthing it on rooftops or you may design and build a platform solely for that purpose.

Wiring Your Panel

Electrical wiring is very technical and hazardous; if you are not comfortable in doing this part of the task, please consult a qualified electrician. Your panel will be prewired for attaching to your boat/house but you will need to supply the connecting cables that will also be sold by your panel supplier; they are referred to as MC4 cables. The cables will come in different lengths suitable for your needs with a male and female connector attached; you cut one connector off. (The photo shows how we have our modified solar/wind turbine system wired.) . In addition, you will also need a controller. The controller regulates the electrical flow from the panel to your batteries keeping your batteries charged yet preventing over charging. Some controllers are simple but others have LED displays showing the rates of charge etc.

The more whistles and bells the more expensive it will be. Your panel supplier will be able to recommend a controller that will meet your needs. I chose a controller made by Specialty Concepts. It is simple yet does the job. And the folks at the company are a big help in helping you choose the right model for your desired panel. When you contact them, the will need to know what size panel (wattage) you are buying and what the voltage is. Check them out at www.specialtyconcepts.com. I also bought my controller from the people at Sun Electronics in Miami. And lastly, you will need the appropriately sized cables to run from the controller to your batteries and a fuse to hook the controller to the battery bank. In selecting the correct fuse, you will need to find the short circuit current for your panel and rate the breaker at 125% of that number. The short circuit rating will be found on the panel specifications. This will give you the amperage of the breaker you will need. Your controller operating manual will have guidance on these too.

Having a solar panel to maintain your batteries seems like a great idea but you’ll need to have a way to monitor your batteries. I chose to also install a Trimetric 2025RV Battery Monitor; www.bogartengineering.com.This smart device is wired into your battery bank to give a real time measurement of voltage going into the bank, amps being used by your boat, the percent full charge on the bank, and the amp hours used since the last charge.

Panel Operation

So we have now installed a 195 watt solar panel coupled with an 1800 watt inverter and a battery bank with 443 amp hours aboard our boat. We ran our tests at anchor with clear skies. Using the worksheets attached I concluded that our power consumption is 112.5 amp hours per 24 hours. The freezer alone is the biggest draw using 60 of the amp hours followed by the refrigerator. On a clear Florida summer day, the solar panel can supply 100% of the boats needs from sunup to sundown; we only lose approximately 40 amp hours overnight, but the panel will bring it back to full after a few hours of sunlight. When relying upon alternative energy, you must always be aware of your surroundings and how much energy you are consuming. For instance, our previous anchor light consumed 20 amp hours in a 10 hour period; replacing it with an LED light uses only .2 amp hours. When the SHTF, I think we’ll be able to maintain our lifestyles to a relative degree of normalcy. In future articles, I’ll discuss how to choose an inverter and how I have supplemented the solar panel with a wind turbine.
    Fair winds,
    Mike

Special thanks to Mike for taking the time to share his preparedness endeavors with us and helping us learn how being self reliant is possible, we just have show some initiative.

Date: February 21st, 2012
    Related Categories: Preparedness

Prepping to Survive: The Nautical Series: Pt. 3 Solar Power | Ready Nutrition

Related Reading:

Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-28-2012 at 02:51 AM.

Prepping to Survive: The Nautical Series Pt. 4: Wind Turbines

Contributing Author
    Ready Nutrition

February 2012

Editor’s Note: While we are sitting in stand still traffic for hours on end, Capt. Mike and his wife will be setting there sails toward a remote island to sit out a SHTF emergency in quiet solitude. This article will discuss, in depth how they have equipped their yacht with a wind turbine to capture additional energy as a means to thrive during a long-term emergency.

Click here to read Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3.

In another article I wrote about the necessity for preparing to live off the grid when the SHTF. I wrote about using solar power. Finding ways to produce energy without the aid of my yacht’s generator was a necessity. It does not take very long to go through 100 gallons of diesel fuel when using a generator. And I suspect that when the SHTF, diesel fuel will be in short supply.

First it was a solar panel, and now, the latest is a wind turbine. I have installed a wind turbine aboard my boat, but you can use these same principles to install one on land.

Wind has been used for producing energy for centuries; first in Persia (present-day Iran) as early as 200 B.C. However, the first known functional windmills were developed by the Dutch in 1300, by means of cloth sails stretched across wooden frames. In some designs these sails could be trimmed to take advantage of unpredictable wind speed conditions. The large windmills of the Dutch design remained in use all across Europe until the introduction of the steam engine in the 1800s.

Wind is in reality a form of solar energy. Winds are caused by the irregular heating of the atmosphere by the sun, the irregularities of the earth’s surface, and revolving of the earth. Wind flow patterns are created by the earth’s terrain, bodies of water, man-made structures and vegetation. We humans can use this wind flow, for many purposes: sailing a boat, flying a kite, flying an airplane and even generating electricity.

The term wind power describes the method by which the wind is used to produce mechanical power. This mechanical power can then be used for specific mechanical tasks such as grinding grain or pumping water. Or as used on a boat, an alternator in a wind turbine can convert this mechanical power into electrical energy.

So how do wind turbines make electricity? Simply stated, a wind turbine works the reverse of a fan. As an alternative to using electricity to make wind, like a fan, wind turbines use wind to make electricity. The wind spins the blades, which turn a shaft. The shaft connects to an alternator and produces electricity. In our boat’s turbine, the alternator produces 220 volt 3-phase AC current. The controller, converter, then converts the AC power to 12 volt DC power to charge the battery bank.

Wind Availability
    When evaluating whether a wind turbine is economically realistic for your use depends on the quality of your wind resources. Usually, average wind speeds of at least 4 mph are required for a small wind turbine to generate enough electricity to be cost-effective. Being less than ½ mile from the Atlantic coast, we have afternoon sea breezes in the summer which routinely produce 10-15 mph winds. In winter months, we frequently have cold fronts coming through that give us sustained winds of 15-20 mph. If your location is inland, your winds will likely be different.

The most significant component of evaluating your wind resource is an anemometer. Anemometers are wind measuring devices, typically designed with rotating cups mounted on a vertical shaft. The anemometer will allow you to “read” the wind speeds. We have one of these permanently mounted aboard our yacht.

If there is another wind turbine owner in your area, you may be able to obtain useful information from its owners about the electrical output of the system and wind speed data. Such information could be tremendously valuable as an option to installing an anemometer.

Turbine Mounting
    Determining the location to mount your wind turbine takes a bit of planning. It must be high enough to capture the wind, preferably away from arches, sails, masts or trees that will block or alter wind flow. There is also the issue of rotating blades. We want to make sure that they do not strike anything while turning, especially someone’s head while moving about.

I chose to use the factory designed pole kit that was built for our turbine. It provides a 3-point connection which also allows us to lay it down for servicing. It is powder coated anodized aluminum, with stainless steel, brackets, designed to withstand the harsh marine environment.

My wind turbine is actually a hybrid system I designed using both wind power and solar power; a schematic is provided in the solar panel article showing the configuration.

Being Neighborly
    Many people feel strongly about the need to preserve the views and peace and quiet of their marinas. Expect some questions from your dock mates. Understand your neighbors’ natural fear of the unknown and be prepared to respond to their concerns.

Some of the concerns raised about wind turbines are not true. Wind turbines are not, as many people think, hazardous to birds. A shiny reflective window is more dangerous to birds than a small wind turbine. Wind turbines also have no potential to interfere with radio and television reception.

Wind Turbine Noise
    Your neighbors’ concerns involving wind turbine noise are important. Regardless of the size of the wind turbine, the possibility for turbine noise to bother other people always exists. Even if a wind turbine does not emit enough sound to break any noise regulations, the noise it produces may still be offensive to other people.

Older turbines were indeed noisy, but modern day engineering has developed turbine blades that are virtually silent. Our turbine is about 3 feet in diameter and at 4 mph winds; the unit produces a light flutter. At 10 mph the unit produces no sound at all.

Wind Turbine Advantages
    • Wind is free
    • Produces no waste or greenhouse gases.
    Wind Turbine Disadvantages
    • The wind is not always predictable – some days we have no wind at all.
    • Some units can be noisy. The small modern wind generators used on boats hardly produce any sound at all.

How Much Power Do They Produce

Turbines can be purchased that produce different power outputs. The turbine that I chose is a Sunforce 450 watt turbine. It has a cut-in speed of 4 mph and has a survival wind speed capacity of 157 mph.
    The amps (power) produced is:
    • 6 mph winds – 8.3 amps
    • 10 mp winds – 25 amps
    • 14 mph winds – 58.3 amps
    The unit has a built in brake that will engage automatically when the batteries are at full charge, or it can be manually set if so desired.

Date: February 27th, 2012
    Related Categories: Featured, General, Preparedness, Reserve Supplies

Prepping to Survive: The Nautical Series Pt. 4: Wind Turbines | Ready Nutrition

Related Reading:

Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-28-2012 at 03:00 AM.

Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-29-2012 at 05:45 AM.

Antibiotics Shown to be Ineffective at Treating Sinus Infection

Mike Barrett
    NaturalSociety
    February 28, 2012

In 2010, approximately 29.8 million adults were diagnosed with sinusitis, a sinus infection. A very large amount of those diagnoses resulted in doctors prescribing antibiotics in order to treat the problem, but new research shows that antibiotics are not even effective at treating sinus infection. In fact, a placebo was shown to be just as effective.

Antibiotics Shown to be Ineffective at Treating Sinus Infection

For the study, main author Dr. Jane M Garbutt and her team examined data involving 166 adults stricken with acute sinus infections with either moderate, severe, or very severe symptoms. Specifically, the symptoms had to include pain or tenderness in the face and sinuses, and nasal discharge lasting between 7 and 28 days. Each participant was randomly assigned either a 10-day dose of an antibiotics known as amoxicillin, or a 10-day dose of a placebo.

While the antibiotics relieved symptoms more than the placebo up until day 3, it was not anymore effective than the placebo for the remaining time period.

“We hope this study provides scientific evidence that doctors can use with patients to explain that an antibiotic is not likely to help an acute sinus infection…our results show that antibiotics aren’t necessary for a basic sinus infection – most people get better on their own.” said lead author Dr Jane M Garbutt, associate professor of medicine at Washington University School of Medicine.

Since the beginning of using antibiotics, the needed dosage to potentially treat most bacterial infections, including sinus infection, has increased tremendously. The overuse of antibiotics has become a serious problem, with even mainstream doctors warning against the excessive overuse of the drugs due to the permanent negative alterations in digestive flora. Contributing to mental illness, obesity, and metabolic syndrome, antibiotics are evoking fear in scientists by perpetuating diseases ‘impossible’ to treat.
    Sinus infections almost always go away on their own, but there are ways to lessen the length, severity, and also prevent the negative experience. Boosting your own immune system through eating organic foods, exercising, and supplementing with powerful supplements like turmeric and vitamin D is at the base of prevention.

In addition, an absolutely fantastic solution for relieving symptoms is raw organic apple cider vinegar. After simply consuming apple cider vinegar on its own or combining it with other powerful relievers such as cayenne pepper, you will undoubtedly see a an improvement.

http://naturalsociety.com/antibiotic...#ixzz1njlabCsn
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-29-2012 at 06:06 AM.

Wyoming State Government Preppers

February 28, 2012 by Sam Rolley

State legislators in Wyoming, like American preppers, have decided to prepare for economic and political collapse of the United States because of the Nation’s soaring national debt and Americans’ growing dissatisfaction with the Federal government.

A House bill recently passed in the State (HB 85) calls for the creation of a State-run continuity task force to study and prepare Wyoming for potential catastrophes including disruptions in food and energy supplies and a complete breakdown of the Federal government. The task force will consider the feasibility of the State issuing its own currency, creating a standing army, implementing a State military draft and acquiring strike aircraft and an aircraft carrier.

According to Wyoming’s Star-Tribune, the measure has gained healthy support from State legislators.

“I don’t think there’s anyone in this room today what would come up here and say that this country is in good shape, that the world is stable and in good shape — because that is clearly not the case,” State Representative Lorraine Quarberg (R-Thermopolis) told the paper. “To put your head in the sand and think that nothing bad’s going to happen, and that we have no obligation to the citizens of the state of Wyoming to at least have the discussion, is not healthy.”

The bill’s sponsor, State Representative David Miller (R-Riverton), said that he does not expect the U.S. government to collapse anytime soon, but that it is important for his State to hedge against problems at the Federal level.

Wyoming State Government Preppers : Personal Liberty Alerts=

Opting Out Of Vaccines May Get Easier

February 28, 2012 by Catherine Frompovich

Some States are considering legislation that would make it easier for parents to opt out their children from mandatory vaccinations via philosophical exemptions, according to the Immunization Action Coalition.

Mississippi and West Virginia, two die-hard vaccination States that grant no exemptions except medical, are now considering exemptions based upon philosophical beliefs. That’s very telling, I think.

On Feb. 22, parents rallied in Charleston, W.V., in support of Senate Bill 50, which would permit nonmedical exemptions for vaccines. Participant Claudia Raymer, founder of We the People, claimed the chicken pox vaccine is unnecessary because it’s not a deadly disease and that the Hepatitis B vaccine is unnecessary for infants, since Hepatitis B is a sexually transmitted disease.

Perhaps parents are becoming concerned about the 36 vaccines children must receive in order to attend school. Eighteen of those vaccines contain the neurotoxin aluminum. The DTaP vaccine contains 625 mcg of aluminum; the Hepatitis B vaccine contains 375 mcg of aluminum and is given within 24 hours of birth; and the Hib vaccine contains 225 mcg of aluminum, according to Russell Blaylock, M.D., a neurosurgeon and expert on excitotoxins, chemicals that affect the brain.

Twenty-seven States and Washington, D.C. allow religious exemption. The 27 religious exemption States are: Arkansas, Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, Nebraska, New Jersey, Nevada, New York, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Virginia and Wyoming.

It seems that some States granting religious exemptions now are considering philosophical exemptions. To see a religious exemption vaccination opt-out form for Washington, D.C., click here. You probably could use this form as a guide, but make certain that you cite your State’s correct code section (§).

Personal or philosophical belief exemptions currently are granted in 21 States, according to Mayer Eisenstein, M.D.

A philosophical exemption is not restricted solely to religious or spiritual beliefs but includes the moral and/or personal beliefs of parents and/or adults. For example, California’s philosophical vaccination exemption objections can be based simply on a parent’s personal beliefs with no other reason needed, including medical.

The 21 personal exemption States are: Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington and Wisconsin.

The two medical only exemption States are Mississippi and West Virginia.
    Click here to view a Hepatitis B Vaccination Consent/Refusal Form for adults.Keep in mind, though, that the Hepatitis B vaccination is given to infants within 24 hours of birth and twice thereafter. Parents who want to opt out of that vaccination for their child should sign an opt-out form before the child is born. The mother should take it with her to the birthing facility, and the father should make certain it is enforced. I’ve heard stories of nurses waking mothers during the night to ask permission to vaccinate the baby with the Hepatitis B vaccine, even when the parents have said they didn’t want one for their baby. I believe both parents-to-be should sign the form in the presence of a notary public. That may prevent legal problems should the parents ever split up.

Information surfacing from Australia may be encouraging opposition to vaccines and prompting Legislatures to rethink vaccination mandates. It seems the Australian government has awarded CSL, the maker of Fluvax®, a $117 million contract to supply seasonal and pandemic flu vaccines until 2016.

Australia’s 9News reported: “The vaccine has, however, been banned for use in children under five after it triggered febrile convulsions in some children in 2010.”
    So what happens with children younger than 5?

“The federal Health Department also awarded contracts to British-based GlaxoSmithKline and French company Sanofi who will provide vaccines Fluarix and Vaxigrip for children under 10.”

In the United States, getting an annual influenza vaccine is recommended for children, beginning at 6 months of age. Click here for the immunization schedule. Can you see why many parents are becoming concerned with the ever-growing number of mandated vaccinations? Did you count the number in a child’s first year of life?
    Vaccinations really don’t make ecological sense, since they pump loads of toxins into infants and toddlers. When will they realize you can’t poison a body into wellness? You can be certain teens and adults receive toxins, too. Maybe this growing concern will force the Food and Drug Administration and Big Pharma to do the right thing, but please don’t hold your breath.

–Catherine J. Frompovich

Editor’s note: If your State Legislature is considering philosophical exemption legislation, please let us know so we can pass that information along to our readers.–BL

Opting Out Of Vaccines May Get Easier : Personal Liberty Alerts=