Page 18 of 844 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118518 ... LastLast
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: BASIC LIST / SUGGESTED ITEMS FOR LONG TERM SURVIVAL

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    recipes for dehydrated potatoes

Chef Tweaker
    Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:23 pmRecipezaar Groupie

I posted this on Friday in the general recipe requests but no responses. Can anyone help? I'm still working on this weeks menu so any help is appreciated.

I got a huge bag of dehydrated potatoes from the food bank. I've had it for a while and thought I'd better get working on it since my DD hmm isn't she a "dear" poked a hole in the bag.

I'm looking for some good recipes for them. Any category is fine... just something that can mask the dehydrated taste. One caviat: hubby is LI so it would be helpful to steer clear of cheesy stuff. I can use soy cheese but try to save that for "special" dishes that he doesn't want to miss. Milk and margarine are OK because we have subs for those.

BTW- I've never seen this variety before. Not flakes but little pebbles the size of medium tapioca.

Here a few that sound yummy!

Mashed Potato Pie
    Easy Shepherd's Pie
    The BEST Baked Potato Soup Ever! (cheese is just a garnish)
    Mom's hamburger/green bean/tomato soup/mashed potato hot dish
    Sourdough Cinnamon Swirl Bread
    Chicken scampi
    Instant Potato Gnocchi
    Moist Baked Chicken

The BEST Baked Potato Soup Ever!. I have also made Potato Soup Mix in a Jar as a gift before if you are in need of Christmas gifts.

Some other ideas:
    Instant Potato Gnocchi
    Winklers Moravian Sugar Cake
    Double-Garlic Potato Bread

http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?p=4105536
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-31-2012 at 08:39 PM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Recepies listed is only the 123 go to the letter of the alpabet to view other recipies

http://www.recipezaar.com/browse/allrecipes/

VIEW: 123ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    1 - 100 of 1846 | Page 1 2 3 4 . . . 17 18 19 Next »

VIEW: 123ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    1 - 100 of 1846 | Page 1 2 3 4 . . . 17 18 19 Next »

http://www.food.com/browse/allrecipes/
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-31-2012 at 08:42 PM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

BTTT

BTTT

you just never know ... you may need to get back to basics America

bttt
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-19-2012 at 05:24 AM.

Dehydrated Main Dishes, Soups, and Jerky

Adapted from
    Wilderness Cuisine
    by Carole Latimer

It's fun to prepare and dry your own instant trail meals, and you may be surprised at just how delicious they taste when reconstituted. Cook down liquids as much as possible when cooking main dishes to be dehydrated, use as little oil as possible in their preparation, and make all pieces of vegetables small and the same size so everything will dry properly and uniformly.

Don't use meat in the main dishes you plan to dehydrate. Meat will be better added to the cooking pot later. For example, slice Andouille sausage into the Cajun Black Beans in camp. The black beans retain a more distinct flavor of their own, and the sausage will taste fresh and spicy.

The following soup and main-dish recipes can be reconstituted into at least 10 different meals. The French Onion Soup Base also makes an outstanding pasta sauce with Parmesan cheese; spaghetti sauce can be a base for soups, pizza, and so on. These recipes are also representative of other old favorites you can turn into quick trail dinners. You may want to try dehydrating your favorite recipe for chili using the black beans recipe as a guide, or perhaps Curried Lentil Soup will inspire you to dehydrate your favorite split pea soup recipe.

Remember: the sooner you use these dishes, the better they'll taste. Store in the refrigerator and never attempt to dry main dishes containing cream or eggs. And just to make sure use them within a couple of weeks after drying.

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/publishers/wi ... o_dehy.htm
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-31-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Just Add Water Soups and Main Dishes

Adapted from
    Wilderness Cuisine
    by Carole Latimer

Black Beans (Makes 8 servings)

• 2 cups black beans
    • 2 or 3 yellow onions, diced
    • 2 or 3 garlic cloves
    • 2 jalapeqo peppers
    • 2 or 3 milder peppers Anaheim, paprika, or pasilla

• 2 peppers red, yellow or green bell, or pimiento
      • 1 tsp salt
      • 1/4 tsp pepper
      • 2 tsp ground cumin
      • 1 tsp oregano leaves
      • olive oil

• 1/3 cup Marukan seasoned gourmet rice vinegar
        After drying, the contents of this recipe can be rehydrated into a blackbean soup with a shot of sherry, into a thick refried bean dip, or into Cajun Black Beans by adding Andouille sausage.
    At Home:

1. Cover beans with water and soak overnight or for 24 hours, and during this time pour off and replenish bean water several times; this helps prevent flatulence later.
    2. Black beans take a long time to cook. Start by cooking them perfectly plain; don't put salt in the water. Simmer partly covered on low heat for at least 5 hours. You don't really need to watch them once you get the heat regulated. You'll get better quality beans if you cook them relatively slowly, don't let them sit and boil. Don't add anything else until they are cooked through. They should be Soft, but not mushy andthis is importantthe liquid they're cooking in should be getting thick. When they are soft, take a potato masher and smash some of the beans in the pot. This releases starch and hastens the thickening.

3. When the bean liquor is thick and rich, prepare the other ingredients. (You could also stop here and dry them plain for other bean dishes on the trail to which you'd add spices later.) Cut peppers in half lengthwise. Remove seeds and ribs (this reduces the hotness) and thinly slice horizontally. Sauti in olive oil for 5 minutes with onions. Add garlic and spices and cook a few more minutes. Add this mixture to beans and continue to cook for another hour, adjusting the seasonings as you wish. Because you're going to dry them, they should cook down very thick. About 15 minutes before taking beans off heat, add vinegar.
    4. To dehydrate, spread beans evenly on trays and dry at 145 degrees. They should be completely dry. They won't stick together like fruit leather, they'll be separate and they are rather fragile, so avoid crushing them.
    5. Package with vacuum packaging machine, with Seal-A-Meal, or in ziplocs, and store in refrigerator until ready to use. Two cups when dry weighs 8 oz, and 1 1/4 cups dried beans makes 1 large backpacker's serving.
    In Camp:
    Rehydrate with 1/2 to 3/4 cup water per 1 1/4 cups beans, depending on the dish you're making. The beans will rehydrate in 10 to 15 minutes. Heat and serve.
    Basic Spaghetti Sauce (Makes 4 servings)

• 2 yellow onions, chopped
    • 1/2 cup grated carrot
    • 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
    • Optional: 1 tsp jalapeq pepper, seeded, deveined and minced
    • 3 tbsp chopped garlic
    • 1/2 tsp leaf oregano
    • 1/2 tsp sugar
    • 1 6-oz can tomato paste
    • 3 28-oz cans canned tomatoes, drained
    • 20 fresh basil leaves, minced or 1 tbsp dried basil
    • 4 tbsp chopped fresh Italian parsley
    • 1/2 cup red wine
    • salt and pepper
    This basic tomato sauce can be used in your backpacking menus for all kinds of dishes: pizza toppings, minestrone or other soups, eggplant parmesan, and, of course, it's a pasta sauce. Make a big batch of it if you like. If you don't have time to dry it all now, freeze and dehydrate later.
    At Home:
    1. Sauti onions till translucent. Add carrot, celery, jalapeqo pepper, garlic and sauti for another 2 to 3 minutes. Add oregano and sugar and stir for a minute before adding the tomatoes (don't add their liquid).
    2. Cook at simmer for at least 2 hours. Don't let it boil; it should simmer for 2 or 3 hours. When the sauce is thick and rich, add basil, parsley, salt and pepper, and red wine. Simmer for 30 more minutes.
    3. To dehydrate, spread sauce on trays. Put in dehydrator or oven at 145 degrees until dry. The dehydrated sauce will be pliable, like fruit leather; remove from plastic tray while still warm. Store in refrigerator.
    In Camp:
    Rehydrate and use as directed in recipes.
    French Onion Soup Base (Makes 6 soup servings, 2 to 3 pasta sauce servings)

• 5 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
    • 3 tbsp butter
    • 1 tbsp olive oil
    • 1 tsp salt
    • 1/4 tsp sugar (helps the onions to brown)
    • 3 tbsp flour
    • 2 cups beef bouillon, boiling
    • 1/2 cup dry white wine
    • salt and pepper
    • Optional: beef bouillon cube
    This French Onion Soup is the real thing, and it's an outrageously delicious pasta sauce with Parmesan cheese. You could even rehydrate it to a thick spread and eat on bread. I adapted this recipe from Julia Child's"Soupe ` l'Oignon" in Mastering the Art of French Cooking. As she tells us, the onions need long, slow cooking in butter to develop a deep rich flavor.
    At Home:
    1. Cook the onions slowly with butter and oil in a covered, heavy-bottomed saucepan for 15 minutes.
    2. Uncover, raise heat to moderate, and stir in salt and sugar. Cook 30 to 40 minutes stirring frequently until the onions are golden brown. They will shrink quite a bit during this time.
    3. Sprinkle in the flour and stir for three minutes, then slowly blend in boiling bouillon. This will make a thick sauce. Add wine and season to taste.
    4. To dry, spread mixture on drying trays. Dry at 145 degrees until dry. Package and store in refrigerator.
    In Camp:
    Rehydrate with boiling water. Add optional beef bouillon cube if desired and make into soup (4-6 cups of water), or pasta sauce (1-2 cups). Note: Because of the high oil content, for best flavor, this dish should be dehydrated not more than a week before your camping trip.
    Curried Lentil Soup Base (Makes 8 servings)

• 3-4 cups water
    • 2 14 1/2-oz cans chicken broth
    • 2 cups lentils
    • 1 fresh onion
    • 3 cloves garlic
    • 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
    • 4 tsp Indian curry powder
    • 2 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
    • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
    • 1 tbsp olive oil
    The Indian name for this soup is Dahl Shorba. It can be made from scratch in camp or dried at home into an instant soup. For a hearty meal, add sliced sausage or fresh vegetables (potatoes, carrots, cauliflower).
    At Home:
    1. Combine water, chicken broth cubes, and lentils. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and cover. Simmer on low heat for 20 to 45 minutes or until lentils are cooked through; it won't take long if you use orange or yellow lentils. Keep watching itif it thickens too much you may have to add more water, but add as little as possible.
    2. Dice onion, mince garlic and cook and stir them in oil together with curry, coriander seeds (crush with back of cooking spoon) and red peppers over medium heat for 7 minutes. Stir spice mixture into lentils. Cover. Cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Cook down to a thick paste, taking care not to burn while it's cooking down.
    3. Spread on plastic sheets in dryer. Dry at 145 degrees until dry, about 6 hours. Repackage and store in refrigerator until ready to use.
    In Camp:
    Rehydrate with boiling water, heat, add water until desired thickness and serve.

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/publishers/wi ... o_deh2.htm
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-31-2012 at 08:48 PM.

How to build a simple Alcohol Stove

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtSq3FUcEic

How to build a simple alcohol stove with things everyone has at home. Simple and also a very effective alcohol stove. This is the design I used for many years out on the trails. It works great with the heiny pot and Heiny Pot Perc
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-31-2012 at 08:54 PM.

All In One Alcohol Stove Improved

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrTq9oeniWU&NR=1

I took my previous design of the All In One Penny Stove and added a "Crumb Catcher" which was bought at Lowe's. I also used a thumb screw to secure the Crumb Catcher to the top of the penny stove after the fuel was put in. The video is a bit dark, but I added pictures so you could see what it looks like before and after assembly.

This has turned out to be one of my favorite stoves. I like that the flame stays near the bottom of the keg pot and does not travel too far up the sides. This keeps the pot from getting charred.

In the video I used 3/4 ounce of Heet in the stove and 2 small squirts of Heet in the pre heater. I think it really only needs 1 small squirt of Heet because the preheat time is approximately 25 seconds. I also used 1 and a half cups of water in the Keg Pot. The stove definately supports the weight and does not tip over. The only downfall to this stove so far is that it is almost as tall as a full soda can, but I am working on a shorter design. Hopefully this will make it easier to store.

Note: If you don't know what a Crumb Catcher is, it's a small stainless steel basket that you place in your sink drain and it catches crumbs that would otherwise fall down the drain.

Stay tuned for Outtakes coming soon.
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-31-2012 at 08:20 PM.