Page 8 of 835 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108508 ... LastLast
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: BASIC LIST / SUGGESTED ITEMS FOR LONG TERM SURVIVAL

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-20-2012 at 06:00 PM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Natural Insect Repellents

Zzzzt!! Help!!

Does anyone have any ideas and information about natural or organic insect repellents, especially something that would be safe for children? Many commercial repellents contain DEET which may be cancer-causing.
    Andrea H

Cedar Oil
    Try a cedar oil spray. I get it at PetSmart & use it on the dogs, cats & kids - it may seem a bit pricey but one bottle lasts for awhile. There may be another source for it among herbal shops, natural food stores, etc. One tip for anyone using it for fleas - it's a REPELLANT and works best if used before you see any fleas. If you've already got fleas, the same company makes a shampoo.
    Cindy of Newbury, OH

Rubbing Alcohol
    I found out many years ago, when I was a young teenager, that just splashing plain rubbing alcohol on me and allowing it to dry would deter mosquitoes from biting me. I am allergic to mosquito bites and develop huge welts everywhere they bite me. With the alcohol, they never bit me. And once it dries, it leaves a pleasant odor on the skin, not repugnant at all. Thought this might help. And it only costs less than 50 cents a bottle!
    Linda from Tennessee

Vaporub

This is going to floor you, but one of the best insect repellents I have found and I am in the woods every day, is Vick's Vaporub. I rub it on my pants and legs to ward off ticks. If you can tolerate the smell it's pretty good.
    Barbara

Marigolds in the Yard
    There are several things to do when trying to protect yourself and kids from those nasty bugs in the yard during the summer. One thing to do is plant marigolds around the yard, the flowers give off a smell that bugs do not like, so plant some in that garden also to help ward off bugs without using insecticides. Try putting a bounce dryer sheet on your belt or in your sock, the sheet will mask your smell and ward off the bugs.
    Sandy

Marine's Choice
    I don't know how "organic" you want to go, or if it's just DEET you're trying to avoid. But here in Jacksonville, NC, home of Camp Lejeune Marine Corps Base, our "tough guy" Marines who spend a great deal of time "camping out" say that the very best mosquito repellant you can use is Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil mixed about half and half with alcohol. I've tried it, and I have to admit it works just as well if not better than the commercial sprays. Actually, I just saw an ad on TV this week for Avon's own Skin-So-Soft insect repellant. I'm assuming it's made about the same way, but it may turn out to be less expensive in the long run to mix your own. An added plus is that it smells great too.
    Carol D.

Homemade Recipe
    20 drops Eucalyptus oil
    20 drops Cedarwood oil
    10 drops Tea Tree oil
    10 drops Geranium oil
    2 oz. carrier oil ( such as Jojoba )

Mix together in a 4 oz. container. Apply to skin as needed avoiding the eye area. Keep out of reach of children. Test on a small area of skin for sensitivities . Experiment with different percentages of essential oil.
    GR

Vanilla
    One of the best natural insect repellants that I've discovered is made from the clear real vanilla (not the grocery store vanilla extract which is mostly alcohol). This is the pure vanilla that is sold in Mexico. It's cheap there if you know of someone that lives there or in the US close to the border. If not, health food stores usually carry it or can order it for you. I use it half vanilla and half water and find that it works great for mosquitoes and ticks, don't know about other insects. It's nice that you don't smell like a chemical plant but a cookie! I cannot use chemical insecticides, so I love the way this works and I hope you and your kids will also.
    Sharon

Moth Balls
    To the person who needed natural insect repellent. This is not natural but if you put out moth ball in the yard where children can't find them, they are great for mosquito. Or make a mixture of 1part baby powder, 1 part flower of sulfur(found at drug stores), 1 part cornstarch. Mix in a resealable bag and sprinkle on the ground. Repels most bugs.
    Rose M

from HGTV
    I am testing a preparation suggested by HGTV's Paul James. "Finely chop a dozen garlic cloves into 4 ounces of mineral oil. Soak for a day or 2, strain it and add 4 drops of dishwasher liquid. Dilute with half cup of water and pour into sprayer." I used a coffee filter to strain it (sort of messy) and it smells out loud. So far I have used it on two plants and it appears non-damaging. Incidentally, I planted garlic cloves next to each rose bush and that appears ot have repelled insects. That is a widely known practice, I gather. Incidentally, I use old soap and garden spray bottles with no harmful residue.
    Alvin

Catnip Concoction
    Make your own by filling a quart jar with some herbs from the mint family like catnip, spearmint, pennyroyal and then cover with apple cider vinegar. Shake twice a day for two weeks. Strain and either rub on or spray on.
    Gary

Lavender Oil
    I just read about a pleasant solution, though, that worked for me last weekend in the mountains (lots of biting bugs, but they pretty much left me alone.) Use lavender oil, and dab it on your pulse points (I used it on my wrists, behind my ears, temples, behind my knees, and on my ankles). Smells wonderful, but apparently the insects don't think so.
    JT

Bug-Proof Your Yard
    There are many insect repellents that contain "pyrethum," which is actually a natural extract of the marigold plant. It is very safe for use around children and pets, but it is quite expensive.

You may also want to regularly spray your plants and grass with a soap and water solution. This will have 3 effects: 1) it will dehydrate most bugs and kill them without chemicals, 2) it will help to keep your grass and plants clean of pollution and make them healthier and 3) it will soften your soil which mean you won't have to water as much. Use a hose-end sprayer filled with 1 cup of any cheap dishwashing soap for your grass or 1 tablespoon of soap in a hand-held sprayer for your plants.
    Glenn P.

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/980625b.cfm
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-19-2012 at 04:48 AM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-20-2012 at 06:01 PM.

How to Make Homemade Insect Repellent Oil

By leaper
    Article Rating: (4 Ratings)

Making your own insect repellent is fast and easy. This repellent really works!

Difficulty: Moderately Easy

InstructionsThings You'll Need:
    1 part bay leaves
    4 parts pennyroyal
    2 parts rosemary
    1 part eucalyptus leaves
    Enough olive oil or other high quality oil to cover the herbs. Then top with another inch or two of oil.
    Double boiler
    Cheesecloth or muslin

Step 1 Wilt the fresh herb leaves or use dried herbs.

Step 2 Cover with enough oil to completely submerge the herbs, plus another one or two inches on top of that. Place the herbs and oil in a double boiler, and cover with a tight fitting lid. Heat slowly for one half to one hour, checking often to make sure the oil is not over heating.

Step 3 Once the oil and herbs have heated sufficiently, you can strain the mixture. Line a strainer or sieve with cheesecloth or muslin. Pour the mixture through the cloth. Reserve this oil. In a separate container, press the remaining oil out of the herbs. Do not mix together the two separate oil pressings. The second one will have a higher concentration of water and sediment. It is still usable, but not the high quality as the first pressing. Now you can add a drop or two of pennyroyal essential oil or eucalyptus essential oil to strengthen the smell in the first oil pressing. This is in addition to the dried pennyroyal and eucalyptus.

Step 4 Now you can bottle the oil. Keep in a cool place preferably a dark place. It does not have to be refrigerated, but if allowed to heat up too much, will deteriorate.

Step 5 This oil is safe for human and animal use.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5036912_make-ho ... t-oil.html
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-19-2012 at 04:51 AM.

Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-19-2012 at 04:50 AM.

Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-19-2012 at 04:51 AM.

Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-20-2012 at 06:03 PM.

Homemade Sausage Recipes

Homemade Sausage Article and Information
    Sausage Varieties
    Lower Fat, Light Sausage Recipes
    A to Z Recipes and Food

Sausage Recipes

Baked Shrimp Sausage Risotto
    Bangers - Oxford Sausages
    Batter-Dipped Fondue Meatballs
    Beer Brats - Bratwurst Sausages in Beer
    Chicken & Apple Sausage
    Chorizos
    Chorizo Sausage Substitute
    Glamorgan (Welsh) Sausages
    Homemade Frankfurters (Hot Dogs)
    Italian Fennel Pork Sausage
    Indiana Farm Sausage
    Light Sausage Recipes
    Liverwurst
    Lobster Sausage
    Rosy Seafood Sausage
    Spicy Turkey Breakfast PattiesRecipes Using Sausage

1950's-style Meatloaf
    Albondigas Soup (Mexican Meatball Soup)
    Appetizer Tree
    Apricot Grand Marnier® Stuffing
    Basic French Omelet
    BBQ Meatloaf Aussie Style
    Beef and Sausage Roll
    Beef Mozzarella Roll
    Beef and Spinach Deep Dish Pizza
    Beer Brats - Bratwurst Sausages in Beer
    Blue Cornmeal Chorizo Stuffing
    Broccoli Deep-Dish Pizza
    Cabbage And Potato Soup With Sweet Italian Sausage
    Cabbage Rolls
    Caribbean Sausage Cheese Triangles
    Cassoulet of White Beans, Sausage, and Duck
    Cheesy Meatballs with Caper Sauce
    Cheesy Sausage Stars
    Cherry Cornbread Stuffing
    Chicken Gumbo
    Chicken Pepperoni
    Chicken, Sausages, and Black Olives
    Dublin Coddle
    Emeril's Father's Day Omelet
    Fiesta Turkey Loaf or Burgers
    German Fruitcake
    Homemade Pepperoni
    Hot Dog Recipes
    Italian-style Meatloaf in Peppers
    Jambalaya Fettuccine
    Kielbasa-Barbecued Cabbage
    Kielbasa in Fondue
    Kielbasa Mustard Puff Bites
    Lamb or Italian Sausage with Red Cabbage
    Lentils with Italian Sausage
    Lobster Portuguese-Style
    Low-Fat Smoky Sausage and Beans
    Lucky Black-Eyed Peas & Sausage Casserole
    Macadamia and Ginger Stuffing
    Meat and Black Bean Stew (Feijoada)
    Mini Sausage Quiches
    Mozzarella Stuffed Mushrooms
    Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs with Vodka Sauce
    Mussels with Italian Sausage and Tomato
    Nutty Wild Rice Sausage Stuffing
    Oxtail Dumplings
    Peppered Meatloaf (Crockpot)
    Penne with Cabbage and Sausage
    Polenta Lasagna
    Pumpkin Sausage Sauce over Pasta
    Real Man Chili
    Red Cabbage, Apples and Sausage
    Revised Italian Wedding Soup
    Roasted Sausages and Grapes
    Sausage and Cabbage
    Sausage Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
    Sausage Meatballs in Rich Mushroom Gravy
    Sausage Mozzarella Supper for a Crowd
    Sausage Omelet Pie
    Sausage, Pepper, Brie & Pine Nuts in Puff Pastry
    Sausage Puffballs
    Sausage Rice Jambalaya
    Sausage, Ricotta and Mozzarella Lasagne
    Sausage Rolls
    Scotch Eggs
    Shrimp & Italian Sausage Risotto
    Sourdough-Sausage Stuffing (Light)
    Southern-Style Brisket Dinner
    Spaghetti or Macaroni with Cabbage
    Spicy Pinto Bean Chili with Chorizo
    Spicy Rioja Potatoes (Patatas a la Riojana)
    Stuffed Green Peppers
    Stuffed Monterey Mushrooms
    Sweet Potato, Lamb, and Sausage Stew
    Sweet and Spicy Cocktail Meatballs
    Venison Chili with Papaya
    Western Omelet

http://homecooking.about.com/library.../blsausage.htm
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-19-2012 at 04:53 AM.

Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-20-2012 at 06:04 PM.

Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-19-2012 at 04:55 AM.