Page 422 of 829 FirstFirst ... 322372412418419420421422423424425426432472522 ... LastLast
Results 4,211 to 4,220 of 8287
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: BASIC LIST / SUGGESTED ITEMS FOR LONG TERM SURVIVAL

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Wild Fermentation Happiness All Round

Saturday, September 7, 2013 18:06
    (Before It's News)

Down but not out, making the best of a bad situation ect ect I am no longer mobile as my van broke down and it is going to take a few months to fix so I am parked up at my friends place Mick is his name and while I have use of a kitchen fridge and some one to feed I’m goin to take advantage of the situation, first thing I did was get started on my wild fermentation’s again, I actually thought I did this blog a while back but today realized I hadn’t done it I get confused between my blog and my facebook group some times and had put it up in my group but not as a blog so here it is anyway below are my new projects but I must admit most of these are gone already hehehe

From left to right- Sauerkraut, Ginger bug, beet kvass, kale juice & pickled green beans

From left to right- Beet kvass, Ginger bug & Kale juice

From left to right- HOT chilly sauce & Pickled green beans

I’m loving getting back into my fermenting I knew it was going to be one of the things I missed the most about living on the road, I have to say that chilly sauce there in that picture is stupidly hot I got these little chilies of a woman at the Mossman markets and she said they were hot when I asked her but this ended up to hot to eat and I have never said that about anything before I only need to put one teaspoon of this mixture into a 2 liter jar of ingredients to make it hot.

The pickled green beans stayed crisp and crunchy and my friend and I have been having beet kvass & some times the kale juice every morning and he is absolutely loving it so wild fermentation happiness all around .

Source: http://pruefreefood.wordpress.com/2013/09/08/wild-fermentation-happiness-all-round/

http://beforeitsnews.com/self-suffic...d-2462692.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Economic Survival

Friday, September 6, 2013 11:06
    (Before It's News)

[Nyerges has been teaching survival skills and wild food classes since 1974.* His books include “Guide to Wild Foods” and “Extreme Simplicity.”* More information about his classes is available from School of Self-reliance, at www.ChristopherNyerges.com.* He also runs two farmers markets as a way to promote local self-reliance. For pictures and more information about these markets, go to Facebook, and click “Glendale Certified Farmers Market” and/or “Highland Park Old LA Certified Farmers Market.”]

Here is some “food for thought” adapted from the last chapter of my “How to Survive Anywhere” book (published by Stackpole Books, available from Amazon.com, or ChristopherNyerges.com.).

It would be the height of naivete to discuss the full picture of “survival” and not bring up money. Money is an integral, inescapable part of life in any specialized and organized society. Talk show host Tony Brown once said “If I’ve been accused of over-emphasizing money, it’s because I place money right up there with oxygen as a necessity.” Whole libraries have already been written by the folks who live their lives 24/7 in the pursuit of money. You know, Suze Orman, Loral Langemeier, and all the folks that tell you how to make a meaningful income by investing, or buying real estate, or whatever. If you feel you are lacking in this area, you owe it to yourself to explore those who have already succeeded in this arena.
    For our purposes here, let’s look at “money” in a meaningful context.
    None of us really needs money, per se. We need (and want) those things that money buys for us. This means that if we focus upon the acquisition of money per se, we may simply be bumbling ahead with our lives, assuming that the acquisition of money is itself an important goal.

We should define our goals in life, and we should recognize that although money can help to accelerate our achieving many goals, money cannot replace our desire and drive to achieve and accomplish that goal. In other words, the desire to accomplish and to produce results, and to establish working networks with other people is far more meaningful to our life’s goals than is “money.”
    Knowledge and self-education is perhaps the most important first step to increasing your survival awareness, and allowing yourself the possibility of making new choices. This concept was the subject of the last chapter of our Extreme Simplicity: Homesteading in the Citybook, where we explored the four illusions of money. Fear and greed are the primary factors that drive our economy. If you allow fear or greed to drive you, you cannot make the best decisions.
    Once you recognize that much of our personal thinking, and public broadcasting, about “economics” is counter-productive to our “economic survival” (and automatically impinges upon other facets of survival as well), we inevitably look for personal solutions. What can I do? What can I do, especially if I am in a limited situation? What can I do now?
    GOALS
    Begin by defining your goals very specifically. Write them down. Record some short-term goals, but also your long-term goals. These must be goals that you deeply desire to achieve, and they should be goals that you can achieve. Plus, you might have a list of goals that you must achieve (e.g., I must have $1700 for my mortgage each month or I lose my home!). For each goal, you should be able to record at least three concrete steps that you can take – whatever your current financial situation – to achieve these goals. Bring other people into your analysis. Don’t try to do this alone.
    Also, consider the broadest ramifications for your “goals.” Are they benefiting more than just myself? Are these goals that might facilitate friends, family, neighbors to work together (thus increasing our survival quotient)?

In “Beautiful Mind,” the movie about the life of John Nash, the mathematician who developed “game theory,” Nash quotes Adam Smith (often referred to as the father of modern economics) as saying “The best result comes when everyone in the group is doing what’s best for themselves.” In other words, your self-interest should serve the group. It is better for the society that you not lose your home to foreclosure. Nash saw that Adam Smith, while correct, was incomplete. Nash enhanced Adam Smith’s axiom to” “The best result comes when everyone in the group is doing what’s best for themselves – AND the group.” It was clear to a mathematician that thinking about others is definitely in your best “survival” interests.

Obviously, this is just food for thought. The practical applications are up to you to find, and to put into action.
    Here are some financial-related principles to ponder, and to experiment with. Think of them as tools for survival and enlightened living
    1. As ye give, so shall ye receive.
    2. Always lead with an offer. (Don’t expect someone to care about you just because you are “in need.” Before you ask for help, find out how you can benefit the other person).
    3. Make every place better for your having been there. (This is true “Appreciation”)
    4. What blesses one, blesses all. (Another way of saying “all ships rise in a rising tide”).
    5.Discover the “magic” of Tithing. (Even financial advisor Suze Orman suggests that you give to the church or charity of your choice).
    6.Pay back your debts
    7.Barter and exchange. (You’d be amazed at the sorts of relationships that can develop when money is not involved.)
    Source: http://christophernyerges.blogspot.com/2013/09/economic-survival.html

http://beforeitsnews.com/self-suffic...l-2462612.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Grid Down Weather Forecasting..with a Watch

If the modern conveniences of weather satellites and communications were to become unavailable weather forecasting would have to revert to more basic fundamentals. One of those fundamentals is the barometer. One convenient barometer is the Suunto Core watch. Here are a few weather basics and how you can use your Core as a weather station.

Fun Recipes

http://www.esquire.com/features/guy-...ce-recipe-0909

Sunday Gravy

A sacred meal for a sacred day born in the kitchen of an Italian-American family

7 Natural Remedies for Eczema

Katie - Wellness Mama 18 Comments

I get quite a few questions about skin problems like eczema and psoriasis. I’m not a dermatologist by any means, but I have had some personal experience with eczema (in myself and family) and have found some natural remedies that are helpful so I wanted to share.

The Diet Connection:

I feel it is important to note that all of the topical remedies in the world didn’t help us until we addressed the underlying problem, specifically: diet and lifestyle factors that were causing/contributing to the eczema to begin with.

Just as you can’t out supplement a bad diet in other areas, topical remedies don’t address the underlying problem that is causing the eczema to begin with.

Certainly, eczema and other skin issues are complex conditions with a potential variety of causes, but there do seem to be some common things that help (both dietary and other).

In our family, our son struggled with eczema off and on for a long time before we were finally able to get rid of it. He was born via c-section (due to placenta previa) and was given antibiotics and steroids as soon as he was born. This led to problems with his gut bacteria, some learning delays and some skin/digestive problems. We started the GAPS program combined with a pretty intensive supplement and lifestyle change for him and finally started to see improvement.

If you haven’t heard of it, GAPS is:

“The protocol in Gut and Psychology Syndrome is basically an intensive nutritional program to heal the gut lining. It focuses on soothing and healing the gut lining with foods like bone broth and beneficial fats while boosting beneficial gut bacteria with probiotics and fermented foods.

Depending on the severity of the patient, one either begins with or works up to the Introduction Diet, which is the strictest part of the protocol, focused on intensive healing. There are then stages as the person begins to introduce other foods. The most difficult factor of the GAPS diet is that in order to be effective, especially in the beginning, one must be 100% compliant. This means a lot of preparing foods at home, as practically any foods prepared by someone not familiar with the protocol will have things that can aggravate the gut.”

For us, it meant a diet high in healing foods like bone broth(great for skin) and healthy fats and removing certain foods including gluten and casein (wheat and dairy). We also found that it was helpful to avoid food dyes and any processed ingredients, though this was as much from a behavior perspective as a skin one.

If you or a family member struggle with skin problems, allergies or behavior struggles, I’d definitely recommend at least checking out the book Gut and Psychology Syndrome to see if the protocol would be helpful for you.

Of course, once diet has been addressed, there are some things that can be used topically to speed healing or limit discomfort during the healing time. For us, these things were helpful:

1. Coconut Oil

I use coconut oil for everything. It is one of the things that would absolutely be on my list in a you-are-going-to-an-island-and-can-only-bring-five-things type situation. We use it for skin, hair, teeth, health and even soap making at our house, but it is also great for eczema (as long as the person isn’t allergic/intolerant to coconut!).

I’ve found that for us, a thin layer of coconut oil or a coconut oil lotion bar helps cool eczema itching and pain. For those sensitive to coconut oil, these hypoallergenic lotion bars work really well too.

2. Sea Spray

For eczema that is wet/oozing, I’ve found that drying it works better than trying to moisturize it and offers relief. For this, we use a homemade salt and magnesium spray. I’ve often heard people with skin problems say that they felt better at the beach, and it makes sense. Between the Vitamin D, the magnesium and the minerals in the water, the beach is great for skin health!

For those who don’t live near the ocean, this homemade spray can help achieve some of the same benefits at home.

3. Fermented Cod Liver Oil

Sounds nasty (doesn’t taste so great either) but fermented cod liver oil is one of the supplements we take daily. From a past post:
    “Fermented Cod Liver Oil (FCLO) is recommended by the Weston A. Price Foundation and is a great source of healthy fats for the body. This supplement is also an integral part of the tooth remineralization process as detailed by Dr. Price and by Rami Nagel in Cure Tooth Decay. These two help reduce inflammation in the body and lead to healthy cell, hormone and brain development. They are especially important during pregnancy and for children while their brains are developing.

Cod Liver Oil/High Vitamin Butter Oil are a great source of the fat-soluble vitamins A,D, E and K and as such are supportive of hundreds or processes in the body. The supplements are rather pricey, but we’ve seen a big difference from adding this to our regimen (including skin health!)

We take Fermented Cod Liver Oil in Capsules or Fermented Cod Liver Oil/High Vitamin Butter Oil blend in Gel Form.
    Yes, the taste is terrible and yes, my kids do have to take it anyway. You can sneak the chocolate flavored gel into smoothies though

4. Magnesium Baths

For some people with eczema, soaking in water makes it worse. For those who tolerate it, magnesium baths and other types of detox baths can be helpful in skin healing.

I regularly add a cup of epsom salts or magnesium flakes and a few tablespoons of Himalayan salt to my kids baths. When I have the time, I take relaxing baths in this mixture also.

When I can’t take the time for a bath, magnesium oil also helps.

Amazingly, I notice the benefits of transdermal magnesium (baths or magnesium oil) much more quickly than when I take internal forms of magnesium.

My favorite magnesium bath recipe is:

• 1-2 cups of epsom salts or magnesium flakes(magnesium flakes are absorbed much more easily)
    • 1/2 cup Himalayan or Sea Salt
    • 1/2 tsp of natural vanilla extract
    • 10-15 drops of essential oil of choice (I love lavender and mint)

These three detox bath recipes are also all great if the person can handle warm water.

5. Probiotics

Just as with the Fermented Cod Liver Oil, probiotics are one supplement that seems to make a noticeable difference with skin health (if the problem is diet/gut related). For us, high quality probiotics were vital when we were intensively doing GAPS.

Probiotics and probiotic-rich foods are another element that is often missing from the modern diet. I’m constantly seeing more research on the many ways that gut bacteria influences our health. In the past, people often preserved food by fermenting it, which also was a good source of probiotics for them. Now, most foods are dead, and we rarely ferment them in the traditional ways, so we don’t consume probiotic rich foods without a specific effort to do so.

We also make an effort to wash our hands and our food (a good thing with the chemicals on them these days) which also wash off the beneficial soil-borne micro-organisms that provide friendly-bacteria to the gut.

Since gut bacteria is so important, probiotics are one supplement I always make sure to take. You can get some probiotics in fermented food and drinks such as:

We take Bio-Kult Probiotics (developed by the founder of the GAPS diet… it doesn’t have to be refrigerated) and I’ve seen digestive improvements from this brand (I’ve often see no result from other probiotics). We all take these as a daily maintenance, but at the first sign of digestive troubles or illness, we double or tripple the dose until we are better. I also took these to heal after I got food poisoning, and was back to normal in a couple of days.

I sneak them into the kids smoothies and drinks, and my older ones will even swallow or chew the capsule (they are small).

6. Additional Gelatin-rich Foods

I’ve mentioned that bone broth was an important part of a healing diet for us, and this was partially because of its high gelatin content. Gelatin is very soothing to the gut and is also great for hair, skin and nail health.

Homemade, nutrient dense bone broth is incredibly easy and inexpensive to make. There is no comparison to the store-bought versions which often contain MSG or other chemicals and which lack gelatin and some of the other health-boosting properties of homemade broth.

In selecting the bones for broth, look for high quality bones from grass fed cattle or bison, pastured poultry or wild caught fish. Since you’ll be extracting the minerals and drinking them in concentrated form, you want to make sure that the animal was as healthy as possible.
    There are several places to find good bones for stock:

• Save leftovers from when you roast a chicken, duck, turkey or goose (pastured)
    • From a local butcher, especially one who butchers the whole animal
    • From local farmers who raise grassfed animals (ask around at your local Farmer’s Market)
    • Online from companies like US Wellness Meats (also where I get grass fed Tallow in bulk- they sell pre-made high quality broth) or Tropical Traditions (I order high quality beef, bison, lamb and chicken bones from them at good prices)

This recipe for broth is my favorite and is an adaption of the recipe in Nourishing Traditions.

For those who aren’t ready to jump in to having a pot of boiling bones on the stove, some of the same benefits can be obtained from takin Gelatin as a supplement instead. We use Great Lakes Kosher since I was able to verify with the company that it is sourced from grass-fed, humanely raised cows, and as such is higher in nutrients.

I also use Gelatin in recipes like:

7. Homemade Healing Salve

For scars or blisters from eczema that take longer to heal, a homemade healing salve was helpful for us. Our son would get eczema on his face before we were able to heal his gut and we are still working on reversing the scars from that. One thing that is helping is this homemade healing salve.

My homemade healing salve (or “boo-boo lotion”, according to the kids) is helpful on eczema as well as: cuts, bruises, stings, poison ivy and skin irritations. It also helps diaper rash and baby skin irritations- just don’t use with cloth diapers or line them first!

Here is the recipe.

Have you ever struggled with eczema or skin problems? What helped you?

http://wellnessmama.com/12065/7-natu...medies-eczema/

Homestead Survival

http://thehomesteadsurvival.com/fros.../#.UggvZFfHa3g

How To Frost A Window For Privacy – Frosted Window DIY Project

Use these simple techniques to add privacy and style to your windows without blocking natural light while giving sandblasted or etched glass look.