Page 643 of 835 FirstFirst ... 143543593633639640641642643644645646647653693743 ... LastLast
Results 6,421 to 6,430 of 8348
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: BASIC LIST / SUGGESTED ITEMS FOR LONG TERM SURVIVAL

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 5 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 5 guests)

German >> Spaetzles- German noodles

SPAETZLES- GERMAN NOODLES

Published: November 13, 2013 • Modified: June 7, 2021 • by Author: Analida • Word count:1207 words. • About 7 minutes to read this article.
    WHAT IS SPAETZLE?

Spaetzles are a German egg noodle or small dumpling which are simple to make and can be frozen for later use. They are a great complement to a beef, pork roast, chicken, and can be eaten plain. You can toss in some onions sautéed with bacon or serve with an onion soup broth too.

Jump to:

Besides Germany; they are also common in the Alsace region, Hungary, Austria and the German part of Switzerland.
    German spaetzles are extremely easy to prepare and so cheap!I was first introduced to spaetzles by my husband's German grandmother. It was one of her favorite things to make for Christmas and other holidays too. The ingredients are humble to say the least, but the possibilities are endless. Spaetzles mainly consist of flour, water and eggs, pretty simple, huh? Spaetzles can be eaten plain, with sauerbraten (look for my recipe soon) or with the traditional German sausages-knockwurst and bratwurst (only the authentic ones will do).
    To make the perfect spaetzles you will need a kitchen gadget though, and there are a couple of them in the market. The readily available one in the US is a wooden board with and knife. I own a Kull spaetzle press. It looks almost like a potato ricer, and is made of aluminum. My German friend Iris gave it to me. I have yet to spot one like mine in the United States. I have not even seen them in the high end kitchen stores. However, thanks to the wonderful world of the internet you can purchase it through Amazon and I included links to various types of spaetzle "devices" below. The press type I have is heavy duty and you can rest assured that it will last forever. I have had mine for over twenty years.

DISCOVERING SPAETZLES

Spaetzles are boiled in water or broth, removed quickly, and for added flavor sautéed in chopped onions. Many people also enjoy spaetzles with chopped bacon garnished with parsley.
    Now, I must warn you, spaetzles are a bit messy to make, but it's certainly worth it. My kids love them, even my picky one. Although spaetzles are sold in the ethnic section of most grocery stores, what you can make at home; it is so much better and cheaper too!

This first recipe was given to me by my German friend after she gave me the press many years ago. It is a family favorite. Spaetzles are easy to make and don't require a lot of ingredients. Carmelized onions, or even an onion broth go nicely with this dumpling like dish. Be ready to scoop them up with a large slotted spoon or strainer when they float.

Amazon offers various spaetzle press kitchen tools.

Now, my husband's grandmother made spaetzle the "old school" way: with a cutting board, and she flicked or cut the dough with scissors into the water. It took a loooong time to make a batch. So, I have 2 recipes, a softer stickier one used with the press above, and my husband's grandmother's which was thicker. My mother in-law uses grandma's recipe, and she found yet another type press that works well with the firmer dough. Once again, Amazon has it all! You can click the link above and it will show you a variety of spaetzle makers on Amazon. If you order one I will get a small commission from the same to help support my site at no extra cost to you.

TIPS FOR MAKING SPAETZLES

• When you are making a batch it is great to have a large slotted spoon ready to scoop them out of the boiling water as they float.
    • I tend to work in batches. When I use the spaetzle press, I squeeze out just enough to cover the top of the boiling water as they hit the surface and then they drop to the bottom. If I would squeeze the entire amount of dough into the pot I would be afraid they would stick together.
    • Once they all seem to be floating and cooked I scoop them up, give them a little shake to remove and excess water and toss them in a bowl with a small pat of butter. It is only about 1 or 2 tablespoons of butter, and I give them a stir to coat them with the butter so they don't stick together.
    • After that, I move on to squeezing in another bit of the dough and repeat the process until all the dough is cooked.

While you are making the spaetzle you can have another pan with some finely chopped bacon cooking and getting crispy. Once the bacon is nicely done you can drain off any excess bacon fat but leave a little (1 or 2 tablespoons) and toss in some finely chopped onion and get them soft. When you are ready to serve you can toss your spaetzle into the onion and bacon mix, turn up the heat a bit and even brown the spaetzle a little. This is kind of like a stir fry if you like. Believe me, you will love those crispy brown edges of the bacon-onion laden mini-dumplings!
    If you want to make a big batch for freezing leave out the bacon and onion and prep until you're are ready to serve. Once your large batch of spaetzle is done and completely cooled to room temperature you can separate into freezer bags. These should last in the freezer for about 4 months.
    Looking for more recipes?
    Sign up for my free recipe newsletter to get new recipes in your inbox each week! You can also find me sharing more inspiration in Pinterest and Facebook

Spaetzle Recipe Card- German Noodles

This German side dish is easy to prepare and cook. It can be enhanced with chopped onions, bacon and parsley. I am including two recipes, one from my German friend and another from my husband's grandmother. Both are very easy to make.

Course Side Dish

Cuisine German

Keyword authentic, dumpling, egg noodle

Prep Time 10 minutes

Cook Time 30 minutes

Total Time 40 minutes

Servings: Change to adjust-> servings

Calories 253 kcal

Ingredients

Recipe #1 from my German friend Iris.

• 2 cups flour
    • 3 eggs medium
    • ½ cup water
    • 1 tsp salt
    • 1 Tbsp oil

Recipe #2 from my husband's grandmother. The texture of the dough is a little thicker and you will need a different gadget or the board with the knife.

• 3 eggs
    • ¾ cup water combine with milk
    • ¾ cup milk
    • 2 ½ to 3 cups flour

Build a "well of four" put in eggs, water and milk. Add more flour as need to a thick consistency

Instructions

• Using a wooden spoon or an electric mixer with a double attachment mix all ingredients. Work the dough until it forms large bubbles, and let it rest. While the dough is resting, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the oil. Fill the spaetzle press up to 1" from the top. Hold about 6" from the top of the water. Slowly press over the boiling water. You can use a knife to cut the spaetzle close to the bottom of the press. Wait until the spaetzles float to the top and transfer with a slotted spoon to a bowl. Repeat the process until done.
    • In a skillet saute ⅓ cup of chopped onion and 3 slices of thick bacon cut into small pieces. Toss in the spaetzles and brown slightly. Garnish with chopped parsley.

Nutrition Facts
    Spaetzle Recipe Card- German Noodles

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 253Calories from Fat 63

% Daily Value*
    Fat 7g11%
    Saturated Fat 2g13%
    Cholesterol 166mg55%
    Sodium 466mg20%
    Potassium 145mg4%
    Carbohydrates 33g11%
    Fiber 1g4%
    Sugar 1g1%
    Protein 10g20%

Vitamin A 285IU6%
    Calcium 65mg7%
    Iron 2.7mg15%
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

Spaetzles- German noodles - Analida's Ethnic Spoon
    If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... and brother its starting to rain. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Stuffed Onion Bombs | Bacon-Wrapped Onion Bombs on Pit Boss Pellet Grill - YouTube

#baconwrappedonions #onionbombs #stuffedonionbombs

Stuffed Onion Bombs | Bacon-Wrapped Onion Bombs on Pit Boss Pellet Grill

Feb 22, 2020

Armadillo Pepper BBQ

69.5K subscribers

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... and brother its starting to rain. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Mozzarella zu Hause mit 2 Zutaten in 30 Minuten! Hausgemachter Käse aus Milch! #103 - YouTube

#mydeliciouscuisine #recipe #mozzarella

Mozzarella at home with 2 ingredients in 30 minutes! Homemade cheese made from milk! # 103

Apr 20, 2021

Ukrainian Borscht in bread instead of a plate! A dish that absolutely everyone knows - YouTube

#village #nature #recipe

Ukrainian Borscht in bread instead of a plate! A dish that absolutely everyone knows

Oct 20, 2021
    WILDERNESS COOKING

1.82M subscribers

Canning apples - The easy way for filling your pantry - YouTube

Canning apples - The easy way for filling your pantry

Aug 24, 2021

Small Town Southern Wife

1.1K subscriber

How I Store 200 lbs of Potatoes WITHOUT a Root Cellar - YouTube

How I Store 200 lbs of Potatoes WITHOUT a Root Cellar

Nov 11, 2020

Jill Winger - Old Fashioned on Purpose

200K subscribers

The simple way to make bio diesel. - YouTube

The simple way to make bio diesel.

Apr 19, 2021

Jon Jandai Life is Easy

122K subscribers

Make "Biodiesel"? Let’s find out! Diesel vs Biodiesel, Used Motor Oil, Vegetable Oil - YouTube

Make "Biodiesel"? Let’s find out! Diesel vs Biodiesel, Used Motor Oil, Vegetable Oil

May 30, 2021

Project Farm

2.08M subscribers

WE FOUND 100,000 INSIDE THIS LOG - YouTube

#offgrid #camperlife #homesteading

WE FOUND 100,000 INSIDE THIS LOG

Sep 27, 2021
    Keeping It Dutch
    372K subscribers

Homemade rustic sausages in a dough of our own production! Alone with nature - YouTube

#recipe #village #nature

Homemade rustic sausages in a dough of our own production! Alone with nature

Oct 16, 2021

WILDERNESS COOKING
    1.83M subscribers