Page 13 of 57 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Why a real ID act?

Why a real ID act?
    Last update: April 09, 2007 – 6:20 PM

What: The federal government wants to turn state driver's licenses into national ID cards that would be needed to board a commercial airliner, enter a federal building or visit a nuclear power plant.

How: States would have to validate the identity of people applying for licenses and create secure databases of the personal information.

The problem: The program is estimated to cost the 50 states $11 billion, but the federal government has offered only $40 million to help pay for it.

The result: Two states have passed legislation opposing the plan, and 25 other states, including Minnesota, are considering such measures. For details, go to www.startribune.com/a2503.

http://www.startribune.com/587/story/1110027.html
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Tommy 'the Chip' Thompson

Tommy 'the Chip' Thompson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted: April 10, 2007
    1:00 a.m. Eastern

I won't be voting for recently announced presidential candidate Tommy Thompson for two reasons. The first? Former Health and Human Services Secretary Thompson wants unborn children to be used for spare parts. Slapping pro-lifers who supported him in the face, Thompson promoted embryonic stem cell "research" to the point of insubordination – publicly opposing the policy of his former boss, the president.

Destroying the donor. If we did that with blood drives, there wouldn't be a Red Cross. And the research scoreboard at a glance? Adult stem cells success: treating 72 conditions (and counting); embryonic stem cells: zero. It's actually a negative number since embryonic stem cells have a propensity to form cancerous tumors, but that doesn't seem to bother those blinded by their desire to cannibalize the very young. Even Mitt Romney says he "gets" that. (he just wants abortion as a "health benefit.") And, as I've written in previous columns, Rudy Giuliani wants to force us to pay for killing kids up until their birthday. After that, we're supposed to buy them a present.

But there is another reason I won't be voting for Tommy Thompson: He wants us all to be "chipped" with Radio Frequency Identification and sits on the board of the VeriChip Corp., a company currently talking to the Pentagon about inserting the grain-sized microchip into American citizens, beginning with our soldiers.

(Column continues below)

High-tech stuff like that you can find in the book of … Revelation – written 2,000 years ago. Here's what I remember from Sunday School: In the end times, there's a one-world government and a good-looking charismatic leader who seems like a really great guy, except for the fact that he happens to be the Antichrist. He talks all about peace and requires that everyone take this mark in order to buy and sell. The upside of taking the mark: you get to buy and sell; the downside: you go to hell forever. Not really a difficult choice, but a lot of people are going to get it wrong.

According to the original Greek, the "mark" comes from the word Chixi-stigma, or "stizo" which means to "stick" or "prick." Here's how Strong's Concordance defines it:

4742, stigma, stig'-mah; from a primary stizo (to "stick," i.e. prick); a mark incised or punched (for recognition of ownership), i.e. (fig) scar of service: - mark {1x}
    "Sticking" or "pricking" an identification mark into someone for "recognition of ownership" – strikingly similar to a microchip inserted with a needle under the skin, wouldn't you say?

But first they'll put it in stuff like … driver's licenses and passports. Jerome Corsi reported last week the state of Washington just announced its intention to put the RFID chip in driver's licenses. Under the congressional "Real ID Act," look for it everywhere by May of next year, linked to state and national databases – ready to reject you at airports and federal buildings (for starters) if you don't comply. Neat-o.

But the Bible says it isn't just for "recognition of ownership"; you're going to need this mark to buy and sell (Revelation 13:16-17). As I wrote about in my book, "The Criminalization of Christianity," a wave of an implanted hand buys you drinks in Barcelona, Spain. Now it's being used to buy groceries and clothes.

But the mark in Revelation is "required," just like in Mexico where many government workers are required to be chipped – all brought to you by Tommy Thompson's VeriChip Corp. And now it's in Ohio where workers in Cincinnati are being chipped by CityWatchers – a government video surveillance contractor. Big Brother full scale.

Now, I'm not saying that people who get "chipped" at this stage are taking the Mark of the Beast – that would take a software change. But, I can tell you that I'm not going to let anyone put anything in my hand (or forehead), period. No matter how "logical," "reasonable" or "practical," if it's inserted into the hand (or forehead) to identify, buy or sell, you can say whatever you'd like, but I'm out. I don't care if it means I can't buy anymore. I don't care if it means I can't fly anymore. I don't care if it means I die. You can make your case, but I already made that decision – when I was about 10 – before any of this technology even existed.

By the way, if you're running commercials to pitch this nifty little mark, the first thing you need do is rename it. Don't tell Tommy, but here's how I envision the Mark of the Beast television commercial:

Voice-over: You're not still carrying around that heavy purse are you?
    [VIDEO: Grandma hunched over by heavy pocketbook while would-be thieves give each other the nod for the post-purchase mugging.]

V.O. Don't you know that makes you an easy target for crime?

[VIDEO: Grandma lugs heavy purse on the fast food counter while very attractive teens walk in, rolling their eyes at Grandma as they wave their hands and are already eating while she's still looking for her change.]

Voice-over: Don't listen to the kooks who think there's something wrong with being smart, safe and secure.

[VIDEO: Airport security line of all the attractive "chipped" people smiling as they go through the express security lane while all the nerds, geeks, old and ugly finger-pointing people stand in long, winding lines while the security people shake their heads at the antiquated, outdated extremists.]

Voice-over: Secur-a-chip. It's smart, safe and secure … and so small, you'll forget you have it!

[VIDEO: Shows man looking for his wallet until he realizes that he has the chip and waves it by the scanner, as his attractive wife looks at him smiling, shaking her head playfully. They both laugh while the "Secur-a-chip" image appears on the screen.]

Voice-over: (Read very low and very fast) Those with high blood pressure, pacemakers, pregnant women or those planning to become pregnant should consult with their doctor before implantation. Possible side effects of the "Secur-a-chip" include: infection, allergic reaction, boils and burning in hell forever.

You may not believe a single word of any of this. That's why I'm writing it before you see this on TV and it seems so "practical" and "so logical" that you find yourself being swayed (more on this in "The Criminalization of Christianity").

"Sticking" or "pricking" for "recognition of ownership," "to buy and sell," in the "right hand or forehead." If this chip is truly a pre-curser to the Mark of the Beast, it may happen soon anyway, but the way I see it, it doesn't have to happen "on our watch." And we don't have to play a role in expediting it. Just another reason why Tommy Thompson's not getting my vote.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Related special offer:

"Brotherhood of Darkness"

Janet L. Folger is president of Faith2Action: turning people of faith into people of action to WIN the cultural war TOGETHER for life, liberty and the family. Author of "The Criminalization of Christianity," she hosts a daily radio program from 2-3 p.m. Eastern and a daily radio commentary heard in 100 markets and at www.f2a.org.

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.a ... E_ID=55104
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Minnesota joins states bucking plan for a national ID

Minnesota joins states bucking plan for a national ID
    By Steve Alexander, Star Tribune
    Last update: April 09, 2007 – 9:59 PM

Save to del.icio.us

Related Content

Why a real ID act?
    Politics
    House panel subpoenas Gonzales documents in prosecutor firings

Immigration activists call for May 1 boycott, marches to demand rights

Big-rig proposal draws protest

Senators seek info from Gonzales on Wisconsin prosecution

Judge rejects Padilla motion to dismiss case over torture allegations
    The federal government would like you to have the driver's license of the future, which will double as a national ID card and be required for boarding airplanes or entering a federal building.
    The cost of the new system: $11 billion. Federal support for it: $40 million.

So Minnesota and two dozen other states are fighting back against the federal law, the Real ID Act of 2005. In Minnesota, officials estimate a $31 million price tag over five years.

"It's an irresponsible use of resources," said state Sen. Mee Moua, DFL-St. Paul, one of the sponsors of a bill that would prohibit Minnesota from complying with the federal Real ID Act of 2005. "They're imposing a whole system that may be less effective than what we have now."

Maine and Idaho already have passed laws opposing participation, and Minnesota is among 25 states that have legislation in the works, according to the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators, based in Arlington, Va. In Missouri, Republican state Rep. James Guest has started a coalition of state legislators in 34 states who oppose the federal plan.

The opposition is directed toward the expensive steps required to comply with the Real ID Act. To get a license, drivers will need documents such as a certified copy of a birth certificate, and motor vehicle workers will have to verify each Social Security number, immigration document and passport.

Besides verifying identities, states would have to securely store the resulting personal data, set up computer systems to share the data with other states, pay for FBI background checks on state workers with access to the information and manufacture new licenses with unspecified "machine readable" technology. (Current Minnesota licenses already are machine readable, so the new ones might look quite similar.)

Upgrading state computers would be expensive, as would conducting about 1,000 additional background checks on state workers and suppliers, said Pat McCormack, director of the state's driver and vehicle services division of the Department of Public Safety.

The cost would be $14.5 million in the first year of the program and $4.2 million a year for the next four years, she said. And the state might have to hire more workers and open more facilities to handle the number of people getting the new licenses, she said. Otherwise long lines are likely.

But Minnesota faces less of a financial burden than other states that haven't already upgraded their driver's license programs, McCormack said. Minnesota already meets strict requirements for verifying the identity of people getting licenses and for secure production of licenses.

In addition to the cost, states are rebelling against the already extended Dec. 31, 2009, deadline for complying with the Real ID program. They argue it's not realistic because the Department of Homeland Security won't issue final requirements for the new licenses until the fall, just a little over two years before the deadline.

"It's not just the money," McCormack said. "Complying with this would take a long time."

Homeland Security officials have said that if states don't go along with the program, their driver's licenses won't be accepted as identification for boarding airplanes, McCormack said. That might mean citizens could use a passport instead, she said.

"But that puts the onus on every state's citizens to meet the federal requirements," she said. "A lot of us are hoping that there will be some congressional action to help with funding part of it and to make some changes in the rules so it would be more workable."I think my bill will pass," Moua said, because the Real ID Act impinges on the states' rights to handle issuing of driver's licenses, is unfunded by the federal government and isn't practical.

"This isn't a partisan issue," she said. "It's about something that's just not fair."

Steve Alexander • 612-673-4553 • alex@startribune.com

http://www.startribune.com/587/story/1110277.html

Thales Joins Smart Card Alliance Leadership Council

Thales Joins Smart Card Alliance Leadership Council
    WESTON, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Thales, a leading provider of cryptographic security products securing value based transactions over global payment networks and high performance network encryption, announced today that it has joined the Leadership Council of the Smart Card Alliance.

The Smart Card Alliance is the world's largest smart card industry association which strongly advocates the use of smart card technology in a way that protects privacy and enhances data security and integrity. Its membership includes leading companies in the banking, financial services, computer, telecommunications, technology, healthcare, retail, and entertainment industries. Thales has been a member of the Smart Card Alliance since September 2002 and through the Leadership Council now takes a larger role in the shaping of alliance policy and activities, which accelerate the adoption of smart cards throughout the world.

As this industry grows, the leadership provided by Smart Card Alliance members and the educational tools they develop, is highly influential in proper adoption of smart card technology for critical needs. “We are pleased to commit broader support of the Smart Card Alliance through the Leadership Council and elected roles on its councils,” said Cynthia Provin, President of e-Security activities of Thales in the Americas.

Thales is increasing its presence in the United States with its SafeSign product line, providing flexible, Federated ID services for FIPS 201 compliant solutions, Real ID and airport access control and credentialing to these markets. The Smart Card Alliance’s councils on Identity, Physical Access Control Systems, Transportation and Contactless payments provide thought leadership and solid educational materials enabling the use of smart card technology in solutions that are secure, sensitive to privacy concerns, scalable and reliable.

About Thales

Thales is a leading international electronics and systems group, serving defense, aerospace and security markets worldwide, supported by a comprehensive services offering. Thales offers unmatched capability in the development and deployment of critical information systems. The group’s civil and military businesses develop in parallel to serve a single objective: the security of people, property and nations. Thales group employs 70,000 people in 50 countries and generated revenues of $13 billion in 2006.

The new Security Solutions & Services Division, operational since 5 January 2007, combines the businesses of Thales’s former Security and Services divisions with those of Alcatel-Lucent’s Transport Systems Division and Integration & Services Division. The new division makes Thales a world market leader in transport and security markets. Our security solutions and services activities around the world now generate revenues of about 4 billion dollars, with 20,000 employees in 35 countries.

Thales is a world leader in the provision of cryptographic security products and solutions for all critical infrastructures including governments, the military, satellite networks, enterprises and the finance industry. Thales has 40 years of unrivalled track record in protecting networks up to TOP SECRET and a complete portfolio of products which includes network encryption, access control and remote user solutions. In the financial world, Thales secures value bearing transactions, data preparation for card and PIN issuing, and provides advanced user and message authentication solutions supported by secure identity management and token issuing. Over half of the world’s banks, together with the majority of the busiest exchanges, currently use Thales technology and services. Visit Thales e-Security on the Web at: www.thalesesec.com.

About the Smart Card Alliance

The Smart Card Alliance is a not-for-profit, multi-industry association working to stimulate the understanding, adoption, use and widespread application of smart card technology.

Through specific projects such as education programs, market research, advocacy, industry relations and open forums, the Alliance keeps its members connected to industry leaders and innovative thought. The Alliance is the single industry voice for smart cards, leading industry discussion on the impact and value of smart cards in the U.S. and Latin America. For more information, please visit http://www.smartcardalliance.org.

http://link.toolbot.com/businesswire.com/75644

These Card Companies are just salivating over the Real ID.

Repeal the Patriot Act

PATRIOT GAMES

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Please share with concerned friends . . .

Subject: Repeal the Patriot Act

Politicians excel at "the fine art of crisis creation." Time and again they create policies that fail. Then they exploit those failures to grab more power, and then, almost inevitably, they fail again, only on a larger scale.

It's a vicious cycle and a cancerous death-spiral to our liberty.

9-11 and its aftermath provide a perfect example.

In truth, the federal government already had all the power and resources it needed to prevent the 9-11 attack. It knew who the terrorists were and what they were doing in advance, but Big Government still failed to protect us.

The follow-up was predictable. Government officials exploited their own failure to . . .

* launch a fraudulent invasion of Iraq,

* erect a huge new bureaucracy in the form of the Department of Homeland Security,

* saddle the American people with the Patriot Act and the Real ID Act.

Notice the pattern? Failure leads to new powers that lead to new failures . . .

* Iraq is a disaster.

* The Department of Homeland Security is a mess.

* The REAL ID Act is a nightmare.

* And the Patriot Act is being abused,

According to the Inspector General of the Department of Justice . . .

16% of searches conducted under Patriot Act provisions violated FBI and Justice Department regulations. Many of these searches may have been conducted illegally.

The FBI has seriously underreported the number of "national security letters" it has issued. Only 8,500 letters had been issued prior to the passage of the Patriot act, but that number skyrocketed to 39,000 in 2003 and 47,000 in 2005, and the FBI only informed Congress about 9,254 of these letters.

Meanwhile, there is no evidence that we've been able to find that any of this has helped protect us from anything.

The reports of the Inspector General, to which we have provided links on the Background page for this campaign, make sobering reading, not so much because of what they reveal about government wrong-doing, or even incompetence, but because they make it clear how impossible it is to manage and regulate bureaucracies as large and powerful as the FBI.

When will we learn?

Big institutions are inefficient institutions, and power is inherently corrupting. Big Government should be smaller. It should have less power. It might do better if it focused more.

It isn't the abuse of power that's the problem; it's the fact that we've given government the power to abuse!

We must work to take away that power, and return Big Government to a human scale  a manageable size. We should repeal the Patriot Act, because it is a power to abuse. Please urge Congress to repeal the Patriot Act. http://action.downsizedc.org/wyc.php?cid=66

And please consider making a contribution to further our work. You can do so here. https://secure.downsizedc.org/contribute/

Thank you for being a DC Downsizer.

http://www.freemarketnews.com/Analysis/ ... 4&nid=7291

Group tries to counter efforts against ID act

Group tries to counter efforts against ID act

The Associated Press

Jefferson City — A group representing families who lost loved ones in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks is defending a federal law setting national standards for driver's licenses as an essential homeland security tool.
    Peter Gadiel, of 9/11 Families for a Secure America, was at the Missouri Capitol on Tuesday to try to counter efforts by Rep. Jim Guest, R-King City, to get states to refuse to enforce the 2005 federal Real ID Act.

Guest's resolution already has passed the Missouri House and is to be considered today by a Senate committee.

He contends the license standards would be costly for states to implement, could invade personal privacy and would do little to deter terrorists.

Missouri passed a law a couple of years ago requiring people to prove they are lawfully in the country when they obtain or renew a driver's license, which could help it meet at least part of the Real ID requirements.

But Gadiel said many other states have not yet implemented such policies. He came to Missouri this week with Neil Berro, director of the New York-based Coalition for a Secure Driver's License. They said a standard driver's license criteria was essential, because easy-to-obtain licenses can open the door for terrorists to also get bank accounts and rent cars.

http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 007/NEWS01

But Gadiel said many other states have not yet implemented such policies. He came to Missouri this week with Neil Berro, director of the New York-based Coalition for a Secure Driver's License. They said a standard driver's license criteria was essential, because easy-to-obtain licenses can open the door for terrorists to also get bank accounts and rent cars.
    Actually banks accept so many forms of ID, that wont really matter. Just ask Bank of America. Plus let’s not forget, this law has a provision that allows illegals to drive. A national id will not prevent terrorism it will only encompass America further into a Police State.

Real ID Act: recipe for havoc?
    Ludy Ongkeko, Apr 11, 2007

In 2005, there was a rider buried in one called an “emergency appropriation” to fund the Iraq war. That proposal was signed into law along with what was later on known to be the “war-funding bill,” in truth, a supplemental spending bill for the troops in Iraq.

The American people will recall that funding of the nature of an emergency was confirmed because of the proven role of some terrorists who were involved in that September 11, 2001 tragedy of indescribable magnitude. That very group of terrorists had previously held driver’s licenses reputedly known to be easily obtained in some parts of the country where they were also holders of student visas.

Amid that turmoil growing out of the 9/11 tragedy, the need for that bill as a means to protect national security was strongly urged. That same bill gained relatively easy navigation through the Republican Congress. Without much debate, that plan which called for new identification standards also had the same easy passage.

Although not much was learned about what was to be the Real ID Act, there was something amiss; it was the total lack of opportunity for discussion and absolute absence of enlightenment in regard to any possible nationwide impact touching on public reaction. No chance for clarification of that same legislation ever surfaced.

State legislators were unable to present features of that Real ID Act which evidently was unknown because it was a rider. Constituents’ queries were disturbing on the evident absence of explanations about the rider.

Now that 2008 is virtually around the bend, in detailed conversations with motorists who realize what the Real ID Act represents, I repeatedly hear convincing arguments that last-minute legislative riders are far from expressing the will of the people. It is increasingly encouraging to note that the views come from young voters who are most vocal about citizen participation. They were proud to say they voted in the decisive November 2006 elections.

Such views are significant. Riders are liable to inflict sizable damage on federal and state budgets; how can operations without due notice and consideration be doable?

Not every state in the nation has the same revenue and resources.

Every state is being forced to make drastic changes in the way it validates a person’s identity. The state must create a huge database to digitize personal documents so those can be rendered available to other states and the federal government.

What those riders circumvent have echoed and re-echoed criticism from responsible quarters: “Undeniable. Unreal? Un-American?

In reviewing the requirements of what was identified as the Real ID Act, seeing its impact with full clarity, undoubtedly, that legislation will stir havoc nationwide.

The clearing office is the Department of Motor Vehicles in every single state. It is easy to visualize lengthy waits, marked confusion in regard to documentation that applicants for the ID would need to come up with, not to forget the all-important requirement that needs to be factored in concerning qualified, additional DMV personnel to cope with work that might be alien to them unless they go through the needed information, education and training to comprehend their new duties.

Likewise, those familiar with the already overburdened bureaucracy will state: “such a step would be in addition to their current statement of duties.” What lies ahead in terms of the anticipated work of DMV offices can be voluminous. “Storing each driver’s personal information and a photograph in a central database is challenging,” declared a DMV staff member who gave a heavy sigh when asked for her opinion about the implementation of the Real ID Act.

A national identity card? Wouldn’t it be just a driver’s license in truth and in fact? Why doesn’t the federal government issue ID cards through the Social Security

Administration? The office has birth, marriage documents required to obtain the initial Social Security Card (and name change too). Why should steps be duplicated, passing costs on to the state government? Local Social Security offices are capable of issuing photo ID cards with the properly trained personnel since original documents are in their files.

What if arguments will arise that such an identity card would abridge the Fourth Amendment?

What if people find that security is wanting in terms of what they carry on them, while seeking similar security as they leave similar documents, papers and effects in their homes?

What if identity thieves will take advantage of the same documents that will be accessible to them?

Since the implementation of the law will be next year in March 2008, will all the DMV offices be ready by then? Can the American people rely on their Congress to undo what is seemingly un-American?

http://www.philippinenews.com/news/view ... d576f6e28e

What’s Wrong With A One-Size Fits All Identity?

What’s Wrong With A One-Size Fits All Identity?

By Jim Harper
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007
    Plenty. A private market in identity services is long overdue.
    The REAL ID Act is a federal law passed in May 2005 under which the federal government seeks to standardize state-issue ID cards and drivers’ licenses. The bill says that as of May 11, 2008, “a Federal agency may not accept, for any official purpose, a driver's license or identification card issued by a state to any person unless the state is meeting the requirements” of the law.

But opposition to the law at the state level is strong and growing. Three state legislatures have already passed resolutions declining to participate in the REAL ID system (which the law says they are free to do, at some inconvenience to their citizens, who may need other forms of identification, such as a passport or birth certificate, for federal purposes). More than half the states have legislation in the works to reject this unfunded surveillance mandate. It may turn out that no state will comply with REAL ID by the law’s May 2008 deadline.

Opposition to REAL ID is well founded. The Department of Homeland Security estimates at least $17 billion in costs to get REAL ID up and running. There are huge, and probably incurable, privacy and data security problems with the nationally accessible databases of sensitive personal information, and with the nationally uniform card system, called for by the law.

The nominal purpose of REAL ID was protecting national security, but this justification continues to fade as people learn the weaknesses of identity-based security. The remaining support for REAL ID comes from anti-immigrant groups who have yet to realize what a small margin of immigrant control they would get for the price they would pay. REAL ID would exact a heavy toll in dollars, convenience, privacy, and liberty from law-abiding, native-born American citizens.

Granted, something must change with identification. The growth of large institutions over the last century and the explosion of remote commerce in the last few decades have overwhelmed the identification systems we have. The Social Security number and the driver’s license were not designed for the purposes we now put them to. They are accidental identifiers, and it shows: They fail to provide institutions sufficient proof of identity, and they fail individuals by depriving us of information control.

So what is the way forward? We should start by actually devising some identification polices, rather than stumbling forward on our current path merely because it’s the path we’re on.

If a variety of private identification providers were to compete in terms of price, quality, ease-of-use, and even privacy, we'd get a lot better than we're getting from the DMV.Think of identification as an economic service like payments or telecommunications. There are a plethora of payment systems, each with strengths along certain dimensions and weaknesses along others. Most of us choose among cash, checks, credit cards, and other methods as they fit our purposes. So it is with telecommunications: mobile phones, instant messaging, email, landlines—each meets the different needs we have in different communications.

What about identity and credentialing? Proving who someone is, or proving a particular qualification, are essential parts of transacting that are somewhat difficult over long distances or with strangers. But here’s how we deal with it: Need to prove your age? Show government-issued ID. Need to prove that credit card is yours? Show government-issued ID. Need to prove you’re not a security risk? Show government-issued ID. The list goes on.

Identification has long been assumed a government function, but that’s only because, at some point, government assumed that function. Alternatives to government-issued ID are needed—and they're coming.

At the Orlando, Florida airport, for example, the U.S. Transportation Security Administration accepts the Clear Card issued by New York's Verified Identity Pass as proof that a person is part of the TSA's Registered Traveler program. The Clear Card comes with a key anti-surveillance feature: Users aren't identified to the government and their uses of the cards aren't recorded and stored. Biometric data stored on the Clear Card (but not in a database) ensure that only the owner can use it, and the proof that a person is a Registered Traveler is enough information for the TSA. That's all the information TSA gets. No database of Americans’ travels is created.

Future identification cards and credentials could act as proof of age when that is needed, as movie tickets or other bearer documents when that is needed, or as payment cards when that is needed. They could provide identity information only when identity is actually relevant, which is not as often as people often think. This would bring information about us under our control—privacy protection by design. If a variety of private identification providers were to compete in terms of price, quality, ease-of-use, and even privacy, we'd get a lot better than we're getting from the DMV.

Government isn't always part of the problem. It can be part of the solution. Governments should accept, and permit businesses to accept, identification cards and credentials that meet sufficient standards. They should stop requiring "government-issued ID" by rote.

There is an alternative to the REAL ID Act and the national ID on our near horizon. It's identification systems and credentials that are high in quality, easy to use, and privacy protective. This idea isn't just a feel-good. These systems will be huge enablers of secure but private commerce. Identification and credentialing is a multi-billion dollar market if governments can be made to relinquish control of it.

Jim Harper is Director of Information Policy Studies at the Cato Institute, the author of "Identity Crisis: How Identification is Overused and Misunderstood," and the Webmaster of WashingtonWatch.com.

Image credit: Photo by Flickr user hyku

http://www.american.com/archive/2007/ap ... l-identity