Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

<div>&ldquo;There is no longer any Left or Right, there is only Tyranny or Liberty &rdquo;</div>

Hillary told me to go to hell!

Using William’s basic talking point, I tweaked it a bit and emailed it to Hillary:

---------------------------------------------

This is Xxxx Xxxx from Xxxxxxx, IL, and I am appalled that you and Senator Reid are still pushing the Bad Dream Act AMNESTY again today. This measure has already been defeated four times! I am asking my Senator (Obama) and you, Senator Clinton, to vote NO on CLOTURE, and NO on S.2205 submitted by Senators Durbin, Hagel, and Lugar. Americans overwhelmingly oppose this legislation and are sick and tired of DC lawmakers pushing Amnesty. I will be watching the cloture votes closely and will be expecting you and Obama to be voting NO ON CLOTURE.

My other Senator, Senator Durbin has already betrayed our country, and is too far-gone with no hope for him. Don’t join him in the ranks of the Benedict Arnold club.

She wrote back this:

Subject: Thank you for writing to Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton
    Date: Oct 24 2007 6:29a
    To: xxxx@xxxx.com

Dear Friend:

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns with me
    via e-mail. I hope you will understand that, because of the volume of
    e-mails I receive from residents of New York State, I cannot at this time
    respond to messages received from residents of other states. I encourage
    you to contact your U.S. senators if you have an issue or concern that
    needs immediate attention. You can access your senators electronically by
    visiting http://www.senate.gov/contacting/index_by_state.cfm for a listing
    of their contact information. If you are still interested in learning
    more about the work I am doing on behalf of New York State, I hope you
    will continue to monitor my work through my website at
    http://clinton.senate.gov.

Sincerely,

Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton
    New York State
    <div>&ldquo;There is no longer any Left or Right, there is only Tyranny or Liberty &rdquo;</div>

Here is Obama's reply to the same message which I sent to Hillary as well (but tweak for him)
    -------------------------

Subject: Message from Senator Barack Obama
    Date: Oct 24 2007 2:29p
    To: <xxxxx@xxx.com>
    Dear Xxxxxx:

Thank you for contacting me about immigration reform. I appreciate having the benefit of your perspective on this important issue.

On June 28, the Senate soundly defeated S.1348, the immigration reform bill. The bill was authored by Senators Ted Kennedy (D-MA) and Jon Kyl (R-AZ), and supported by President Bush. It attacks the immigration problem in a comprehensive fashion by tightening border security, increasing enforcement against employers who hire illegal workers, and establishes a process by which undocumented workers and their families can earn citizenship after paying fines and learning English. Further, the bill would create a temporary program for foreign workers who must return to their homeland after a specified period.

The most contentious elements of the Kennedy/Kyl bill were its path to citizenship, the new point system it proposes for future immigration and its guest worker program. The Senate considered a number of amendments to the bill. For example, I supported an amendment to reduce the number of temporary workers permitted to enter the country annually from 400,000 to 200,000 as well as an amendment to end the temporary worker program after five years. Both of these amendments passed and became part of the bill. In the final analysis, however, the Senate refused to cut off debate on the bill, thereby likely killing it for the remainder of this Congress.

I fully understand the strong feelings many in Illinois and across the United States hold regarding the adverse effects of illegal immigration. Indeed, illegal immigration causes significant consequences that affect American workers as well as health and education infrastructure. Many people understandably believe that undocumented immigrants should not be rewarded for flouting U.S. law and suggest we should just seal our borders and deport undocumented workers currently living in the country. On the other hand, it is significant that the Department of Homeland Security recognizes that identifying and deporting 12 million undocumented workers currently working in this country would be both difficult logistically and disruptive to the American economy. Ultimately, this dilemma about how to treat undocumented aliens currently in the country proved too tough to resolve. Although the Senate has now moved on to consider other issues, you may be certain that I will remember your perspective should similar immigration reform legislation come before the Senate in the future.

Again, thank you for writing. I hope my delay in responding will not deter you from staying in touch.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama
    United States Senator

P.S. Our system does not allow direct response to this email. However, if you would like to contact me again, please use the form on the website: http://obama.senate.gov/contact/

Stay up to date with Barack's work in the Senate and on issues of importance to Illinois. Subscribe to the weekly podcast here: http://obama.senate.gov/podcast/

I took care of this earlier through "numbers"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123