Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

2 illegal families living within 500' of me.

I have 2 illegal families living in shacks behind my house on a neighbors property. I have contacted the police and have been told they will look into it.... but nothing was ever done. I called ICE and gave them info but was told there are more pressing problems and they would get to it when they could...... they are overwhelmed.

So here are people I know are illegal and can't do anything about it.

It occurs to me that if there were stronger laws on the books that prevented and punished landlords and employers for providing housing and employment for illegals... there wouldn't be this huge problem.
    Impose and collect big fines.

We can't seem to keep them out... but we can make it so that those who support them pay.

Re: 2 illegal families living within 500' of me.

Quote Originally Posted by over40
    I have 2 illegal families living in shacks behind my house on a neighbors property. I have contacted the police and have been told they will look into it.... but nothing was ever done. I called ICE and gave them info but was told there are more pressing problems and they would get to it when they could...... they are overwhelmed.
    So here are people I know are illegal and can't do anything about it.
    It occurs to me that if there were stronger laws on the books that prevented and punished landlords and employers for providing housing and employment for illegals... there wouldn't be this huge problem.
    Impose and collect big fines.
    We can't seem to keep them out... but we can make it so that those who support them pay.
    Did you talk to your neighbor? Are they living on the property along with the illegals? I'd continue to call the police and tell them that you are concerned about crime. Also try calling the city and complain that health codes are being broken.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

A friend had the same problem only worse. An average home with several people living there. Lots of cars in the drive and along the street. Loud parties on weekend, urinating in back yard in sight of neighors. He had police out several times & they finally told him to quit calling. Ne moved but a damned shame he had to leave a home he'd had for years.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

over40,

You said "shacks", are these real houses? Or are they glorified storage sheds? You might want to get the local Fire Marshall, Building Inspectors and/or Public Health officials involved.

These are questionable living quarters... no one that I know would live there... even for free. They don't even show up on the tax roles for the property. I don't want to get the neighbor in trouble... and that is what will happen if I call the fire marshall.... though I probably should.

They woke us up at 4 AM over the weekend singing.

Don't suppose you could provide the board with some photos of these shacks ? Would be quite interested to see what your talking bout.

Also curious where you are located..

you could call and see if you're area has housing ordiances and start a public campaign to humilate the landlord into changing- if you call the tax asessors office they will give you the name and address of the landlord- all within the range of staying safe of course. this article lets you know you aren't alone. another thing is to contact your congressional reps and city council people - the local media-
    once a landlord owned a house on my street that was a drug house- The police wouldnt do anything- I called the tax office - got the landlords phone number and address. I then mailed postcards to everyone - up and down the street with this message: if the drug dealing at xxxxxx is bothering you, , please contact the landlord at this number and let them know. well people did!!!!!! and the landlord came down and staked out the house- realized we were telling the truth and evicted them.

- By the Associated Press
    January 1, 2006

MANASSAS, Va. -- Manassas has passed a new zoning ordinance that restricts who can live together in a household, a measure that overwhelmingly affects the city's growing Latino population and is coming under harsh criticism by civil-liberties advocates.

Under the ordinance, the City Council narrowed the definition of "family" to mean that extended families can't live in a home. The former definition allowed virtually any relatives to live in a single-family house, as long as the total didn't exceed the occupancy limit.

The city acted within its right to control residential occupancy and the new rule was adopted in response to "broad-based community concerns about overcrowding," city officials said in a statement. "The suggestion that changes in the zoning ordinance reflect any other intent on the part of City government are absolutely false."

Although the city says the measure, passed Dec. 5, was aimed narrowly at dealing with overcrowded housing, Vice Mayor Harry "Hal" Parrish said earlier this month that the law also was aimed at addressing illegal immigration and the problems the city associates with it--including parking, garbage issues and tight school budgets.

"I know there's frustration out in the community from the people we talk to, our citizens, and largely they believe, as do I, that the federal government hasn't followed through with enforcing its (immigration) laws ...," he said.

The new definition restricts households to immediate relatives, plus one unrelated person, and excludes aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, cousins and other members of the extended family.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia said that it is "strongly inclined" to challenge the ordinance and is examining its legal vulnerabilities, which, some legal experts say, are many.

"It's hard to describe how many parts of the U.S. Constitution this law actually violates . . . " said Jonathan Turley, a constitutional law professor at George Washington University. "It interferes with constitutional guarantees regarding contracts (to rent rooms), families, equal protection, even First Amendment issues like freedom of association. ... It's hard to believe any attorney actually reviewed this law."

Legal experts say the ordinance might be challenged under the Fair Housing Act on the grounds that it disproportionately affects Latinos. Whether a challenger would have to show an intent to discriminate is a question the courts haven't settled.

Generally speaking, though, the main problem is that it may violate 14th Amendment protections regarding "family" as described in a 1977 U.S. Supreme Court decision that struck down a similar law. In that case, a woman who lived with two grandsons successfully challenged a ordinance in East Cleveland, Ohio.

"Ours is by no means a tradition limited to respect for the bonds uniting the members of the nuclear family," Justice Lewis Powell wrote in the majority opinion. "The tradition of uncles, aunts, cousins, and especially grandparents sharing a household along with parents and children has roots equally venerable and equally deserving of constitutional recognition."

City Attorney Bob Bendall was out of the office on Friday and didn't return a telephone message left at his office.

Council member Judith Hays, however, said it's possible the city went too far.

"I admit we're legislators," she said, "part-time legislators. We do the best we can, and if we made a mistake with this, we will reconsider."

http://www.dailypress.com/news/local/vi ... s-virginia

Quote Originally Posted by had_enuf
    A friend had the same problem only worse. An average home with several people living there. Lots of cars in the drive and along the street. Loud parties on weekend, urinating in back yard in sight of neighors. He had police out several times & they finally told him to quit calling. Ne moved but a damned shame he had to leave a home he'd had for years.
    That sounds like Santa Ana, CA.

If that was going on right behind me, I wouldn't CARE if it got the neighbor in trouble. I think you have several good suggestions from other members about things that might work. IF local police could actually have their hands untied and IF they were given enough funding, we wouldn't have to wait for ICE to do something about situations like this.

Another thing you could do is contact your local Board of Commissioners or City Aldermen or whatever your LOCAL elected board is where you live. They do have to be ELECTED so you could have some leverage with ELECTED OFFICIALS.
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

I agree with Bootsie. This isn't your neighbor. It's a person who lives nearby. A neighbor wouldn't do this to the neighborhool. Get him!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast