I'm of "that generation" too but I must have grown up in a bubble because my parents and grandparents always told us how much smarter we were than theirs, and with so many more opportunities (though they felt we took these for granted), that we could do great works and be a generational force to be reckoned with; they always encouraged us to be the best we could be, made sure we got the best educations and opportunities and looked forward to watching the fruits of all their labor on/with us as our elders and mentors. I guess I was lucky to have such positive, supportive elders.

Of course we were never allowed to participate in any of that "hippy" stuff. I never wore bell-bottoms, took drugs, attended any Peace rallies, and the only TV was in my parent's room and you needed permission to watch it (censored of course). I did what kids today do....went to school, church on Sunday, sports, running around from one brain engaging activity to another yet my parents always made sure we had time to play and just be kids (unlike kids today).