Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Yes, the economy will probably send people to Wal Mart - boycotting Wal Mart as much as possible is always a good thing. The thing we could do with Wal Mart is only use it when it is absolutely necessary.

I would like to stop some people with full baskets and go through everything and ask if it is really necessary. Now that's a question we are all going to have to ask ourselves, I'm thinking. No matter where we shop.

We could, however, take on other industries - we could boycott beef, pork or chicken. Just think of how many work in those three industries. These are also industries that can't, for the most part, just wait out a boycott.

The fact is, it has come to the point, it is truly our very lives, and country that depends on it.

They use our money to keep this going - we give it to them. We need to get together and formulate a plan to stop that. There is no way we can simply stop buying from all businesses that employ illegals - we could just one industry at a time.

And Wal Mart always as much as possible.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

JAK
    I don't shop Walmart. I would rather have less than have to shop there!
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I only buy what I have to at Wal Mart - but honestly in some small towns, it's the only place - another thing wrong.

If I want to purchase fabric, it's 70 miles to the nearest place.

That's why I have a room full of fabric upstairs, I buy a lot when I do go out of town and I buy fabric at garage sales.

But truly, for some it is the only place to get some things.

Quote Originally Posted by nntrixie
    I only buy what I have to at Wal Mart - but honestly in some small towns, it's the only place - another thing wrong.

If I want to purchase fabric, it's 70 miles to the nearest place.

That's why I have a room full of fabric upstairs, I buy a lot when I do go out of town and I buy fabric at garage sales.

But truly, for some it is the only place to get some things.
    This coming from a city person...but what did you do before Wal Mart?

Quote Originally Posted by Molly
    Quote Originally Posted by GaPatriot
    Taxpayer revolt - everyone raise their exemptions for withholding to 20 - revenues will drop like a rock. And, they have the worry of what they can do about 100 million people if they decide not to send a check on April 15 to make up the difference.
    I wish we would have a tax revolt, but I know most people would fear going to jail and wouldn't go along with it.
    Put the money in a bank account and send it on April 15th. That's when they're due, after all.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." -- John Quincy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by SicNTiredInSoCal
    My family lives in rural Oho, and they were estatic when WalMart came to town. It meant they didn't have to drive so far for clothing and electronics. The fact that those things would be the current year's models were just a bonus. And the fact that they weren't paying 30% more than the city folks was cause for celebration too.

Walmart was built to service rural America - a market that nobody else wanted to waste time with. It wasn't until the late 80's that WalMart even moved into the cities.

I don't shop at Walmart, but that's only because they're too big. I think they're business practices are the model of efficiency and customer service.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." -- John Quincy Adams

SicNTiredInSoCal

Before Wal Mart came, there were small fabric shops, and small department stores and Five and Dimes that sold fabric. After Wal Mart came, those stores couldn't compete and closed.

The sad thing is, now Wal Mart has closed a lot of their fabric departments and they have greatly reduced the departments.

My family lives in rural Oho, and they were estatic when WalMart came to town. It meant they didn't have to drive so far for clothing and electronics. The fact that those things would be the current year's models were just a bonus. And the fact that they weren't paying 30% more than the city folks was cause for celebration too.

Walmart was built to service rural America - a market that nobody else wanted to waste time with. It wasn't until the late 80's that WalMart even moved into the cities.

I don't shop at Walmart, but that's only because they're too big. I think they're business practices are the model of efficiency and customer service.
    Before Wal Mart, the rural areas, here, were served very well by many local stores, and some small chains. The prices were higher than Wal Mart - but so was the quality.

Wal Mart put so many small stores out of business and completely changed the downtown of small towns. That is business and that's the way things worked. It was not a good thing, but it was business.

They are responsible for this country being flooded with cheap, shoddy, poor quality merchandise. The quality of the clothing is very bad, and looks like rags after a couple of launderings. It cost much more in the long run because it has to be replaced over and over again.

They now carry many of the same brand names the other stores once carried, but the quality is just so poor. That's how Wal Mart brings people less expensive clothing - they sell poor quality.

White Stag was once a medium priced, good quality line of clothing - now I wouldn't pay even Wal Mart's price for the quality it is. The same with Bobbie Brooks jeans, Chic Jeans, etc.

Their business model has cost the consumers of this nation more in the long run, and it has been the cause of a lot of jobs going overseas - especially the clothing, textiles, small appliances, etc.

It is business - and it's good for Wal Mart. It's not good for America and it's not good for the American people, I don't think.

They also got into small towns by sweet deals the city fathers made for tax abatements, free water and sewer, and they took people's homes through imminent domain for Wal Mart locations.

The quality of the clothing is very bad, and looks like rags after a couple of launderings. It cost much more in the long run because it has to be replaced over and over again.
    I can attest to this. A few years ago, i purchased a pair of jeans for riding. Right away the belt loop ripped, and just this past weekend, I noticed the seam of the pocket was coming undone and frayed....cheap crap!

I think the problem with Walmart was the death of its founder, who established their efficient business model, but insisted on selling only USA-made products - his goal was to bring good products to more consumers at reasonable prices. This is why Walmart was welcomed and hailed when it came to rural areas during his lifetime.

However, upon his death Walmart was inherited by his children, who only seem interested in higher profits. That was when Walmart began selling imported goods, primarily from China. I saw a TV special in which a Chinese supplier said Walmart drove the toughest bargain of any foreign purchaser with whom he had ever dealt. A U.S. supplier stated that, after the death of the founder, Walmart executives made it clear that U.S. firms who wished to continue to do business with Walmart should move their operations to China in order to cut the prices of their goods! One specific casuality I remember was Rubbermaid, which had manufactured its products in Ohio since the company was founded, but was forced to move its production to China to be competitive because Walmart is now the largest purchaser and distributor of its goods.

Quote Originally Posted by SicNTiredInSoCal
    The quality of the clothing is very bad, and looks like rags after a couple of launderings. It cost much more in the long run because it has to be replaced over and over again.
    I can attest to this. A few years ago, i purchased a pair of jeans for riding. Right away the belt loop ripped, and just this past weekend, I noticed the seam of the pocket was coming undone and frayed....cheap crap!
    GOODS FROM CHINA ARE NOT CHEAPER.....THEY ARE JUST CHEAP. YOU HAVE TO REPLACE THEM SO MANY TIMES, THAT YOU ACTUALLY SPEND MORE. SO BOTTOM LINE ON CHINESE GOODS: THEY ARE EXPENSIVE AND CHEAPLY MADE.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast