Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by miguelina
    I have to agree with Bigtex on this one, Richard. That's the reason we came from Argentina in the 60's, because of political turmoil and because my parents and I had finally been approved to emigrate here (took 15 years).

My brother chose to stay in Argentina and always refused to emigrate here, even though he was given a chance to legally come over.

There is NO honor is doing things illegally or dishonestly.
    My wife's sister, mother and relatives all have no desire to emigrate here. They all have nice homes, jobs etc and are perfectly happy living where they are even though they could legally come here if we wanted. In fact, they don't even want to come here to visit so we have to make the trip there to see them.

My wife loves her family just as we all d o, but it was she who chose to leave Argentina. Her life and family are in the USA now. She like the woman in the first posting, is a citizen of this country now. Both are Americans, plain and simple. With assimilation, your responsibility is to you new country not your old one. I think my wife refers to it like a marriage. Once you leave your old boyfriend/girlfriend behind and get married, your devotion, loyalty and love are to your spouse. You have no responsibility to you old boyfriend/girlfriend. You wish them well, but the rest is up to them.

If my wife's family were having problems, of course we would both feel obligated to help anyway we can. After all they are family. However, neither of us owe anything to Argentina or the people of Argentina. It's a great country and we both enjoy every time we visit. We also have put a few dollars into their economy through our travels. But it is up to the citizens of Argentina to solve their own problems. My wife doesn't even read an Argentine news paper and has no idea what their economy is like or what is going on with their politics. Especially when America has it owns problems. Plenty here for us to worry about. As with most patriotic Americans, American is our only country we love.

Believe it or not, my wife's family spend plenty of time worrying about what is going to happen in the USA. With all they see on CNN, someone living abroad feels that America is quickly falling apart, we are all out of jobs and home, living on the streets and drug cartels are taking over our neighborhoods while our politicians are stealing this country blind. Kind of makes living abroad seem pretty good for too many foreigners. I guess my wife's family believes that one day soon we are both going to be forced out of the USA and have to live there to be free. I can tell you this, my wife will die fighting for this country to remain free as I will and so many of my relatives already have. I can only hope that all LEGAL immigrants who this country has opened its arms to an welcomed feel the same.

My wife has been by my side in protest after protest from TEA Parties, to US Border Watch. We write letters to State and US Congress as well as attending speeches and even going directly to their offices. For someone who was born abroad, my wife has done more to fight for this country and community in the 7 years she has been here than "Americans" we both know who were born and raised here.

We both certainly agree with you miguelina, "there is NO honor is doing things illegally or dishonestly." Those that come to this country legally and follow our laws are honorable, those that don't, do not need to be here period. This is a fight against illegal immigration not immigrants.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Did you read the Smithsonian article on Buenos Aires that appeared recently it sounds like there is a lot of room for growth and that the people who are dependent on the Argentine economy are not doing as well as we are. The reason it is such a bargain for the Americans is that while the Argentines are educated and the culture is developed along Western lines the economy has had setbacks and the people are poor by Western material standards.
    No, I didn't read the article. However, can the US economy claim there is not a lot of room for growth? My wife's family worries about our economy. My wife was born and raised in Capitol Federal, Buenos Aires and is considered a Porteno. Since I have spent quite a bit of time in Argentina I would disagree that their culture is developed along Western lines. As a matter of fact, there is a who lot of Argentina that dislike America with a passion. Especially since they hold America responsible for giving guns and power to the dictatorship that took over Argentina and detest the fact that American troops are stationed in their country and seem to have the freedom to do what they want. Everyone my wife knows were pretty upset that she would chose to marry an American and then move to America. I was at the American Embassy the day the way in Iraq started, I saw how much hatred for this country there was when people took to the streets and attacked the Embassy. I also saw the next day American banks and businesses that had been bombed.

Most in Buenos Aires consider themselves to be Italian. other parts of Argentina are more Spanish and some parts German and even Arabic. Most everything there, including their culture is based on European lines. Their buildings, driving habits, automobiles, etc. Trust me the people there are far from poor even by Western standards. I see just as many Hummers on the road there as here. Their diamond district is larger than NYC. Their malls and stores equal anything you will find here. They have uber rich just like any other country including America, a well established upper, middle and low class just like here. They have some of the finest Swiss and German hospitals in the world. Their medical system seems to be affordable for everyone there. I honestly don't know where the Smithsonian gets this stuff. If it was not the fact that I am a football coach and honestly can't stand living in a city as large as Buenos Aires I would certainly have no problem moving there, especially in a smaller town closer to the Brazilian border where it is more tropical.

That is why so many have reverse migrated this past decade along family connections to Italy and Spain. I have not lived in the Virgin Islands since 1975 but I am on the phone there every week trying to make conditions better. Whatever your position on amnesty it is beneficial to stay engaged in the necessary work the communities have in your case Argentine to improve.
    The past decade have been pretty good economically in Argentina. I know lots migrated during the dictatorship but again, I don't believe this is true. Most I know in Buenos Aires hold dual citizenship and have Italian passports. My in-law all have Italian citizenship and passports because it is easier to travel. Unlike America, many Argentines consider themselves Italian first and still speak Italian. The old men sit in cafe's watching Italian soccer, Italian news and talking about the old country. From what my in laws have told me, the economic conditions in the "old country" (Italy/Spain) are horrible. They have no desire to uproot and move to a country where you will have to start over in an economy that is unstable. I think most educated successful people would be very hesitant to do that. I certainly would be.

Richard, I applaud your cause to help out your former country. My parents have raised 100's of 1000's of dollars to take cloths and medicine to the poor in the Peruvian Amazon region. Both in their 70's they have made several trips to the Amazon fighting with Peruvian customs and politicians to get these items into Peru and personally take them to the villages to be distributed by local officials.

We all have causes that are important to us and I certainly respect this and admire it. However, like the song says, "Don't Cry for Me Argentina." Argentina, the people of Argentina and Beunos Aires don't need our help so we don't cry for them. My in-laws don't need out help. All of my wife's friends in Argentina are educated professionals and don't need any help. Our cause is providing help right here in our own community. There are plenty in Houston that need all the help they can get.

Unlike some who come here to live, my wife has chosen to not go to the local Argentine church, the Argentine community center, hang out with Argentine's or shop at local Argentina stores. She doesn't even speak Spanish and our only child has to be taught Spanish in school. She left Argentina and is American now and surrounds herself with Americans, not people who fill a gap from her past. I have a feeling lots of immigrants have done the same thing.
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

I do not think it is necessary to treat Argentina or Mexico as a charity case. There are opportunities for investment which would create jobs in both places. My Mexican relatives are affluent and do not need my help but I have been looking for job creating investments knowing it is possible to do well and do good there. There are few families with the affluence and the connections of my relatives or yours probably. I still do not think you have a good attitude.

The Buenos Aires family with the yarn mill and now the sweater exports is Italian descent. The export of sweaters is creating jobs. Hesperidina exports when they start would also create jobs.

The Smithsonian article does not make Argentina sound like a basket case but it is obvious that over all the Argentine economy and standard of living is behind ours. It would be possible to source what are traditionally European imports there more cheaply, wine is just one example.

One of my grandfathers was a white who was the representative of Theodore Roosevelt at one point the other a Black was a naturalized citizen and immigration inspector. Programs meant for legal immigrants become over burdened when expanded to illegals. I do not doubt that your wife is supporting immigration enforcement. My grandfather the immigration inspector still assisted friends, family and community where his mother was from while rounding up and dporting illegals. Sometimes they were even relatives.

If my wife's family were having problems, of course we would both feel obligated to help anyway we can.
    This is exactly what the Mexicans living here who bring in illegal relatives are doing. What I would say is do not bring your family here illegally. Some make money off them, some reduce remittance expenditure, some alleviate their conscience or achieve family reunification. They are all doing the wrong thing I would tell them. Do invest in job creation and income enhancement there.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The Smithsonian article does not make Argentina sound like a basket case but it is obvious that over all the Argentine economy and standard of living is behind ours.
    That is just not true. The current unemployment rates there is 8.4%. The rate of inflation is less that the USA. Their economy is reported by the Argentine government to be in a small recession unlike what is happening in America and even Europe. Up until 2000 the peso was 1:1 with the US dollar. While the peso is about 1:3 the cost of living there is not the same here either so it all equal out in the end. Trust me, the standard of living in Argentina is no different that what you find here. Just less people are out of work. Argentina is thriving, they have their problems but it is definitely not a 3rd world country. Very few Argentines dream abut going to the United States to live.

This is exactly what the Mexicans living here who bring in illegal relatives are doing. What I would say is do not bring your family here illegally. Some make money off them, some reduce remittance expenditure, some alleviate their conscience or achieve family reunification. They are all doing the wrong thing I would tell them. Do invest in job creation and income enhancement there.
    While I am willing to help my relatives if some emergency came up, that doesn't include transporting them to the US illegally or legally to live under my our roof. My wife already turned her home over to her sister which is bought and paid for. Her mother has a great retirement package and pension from her husband. Aside from that, her mother claims she is scared to travel here because she has seen on CNN how our police beat foreigners. She sends us her regards often but refuses to set foot on American soil. That's OK, Buenos Aires is a nice place to visit.
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

The Smithsonian made Buenos Aires sound like Paris after the First and Second World Wars great if you have money not so great otherwise.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Bigtex, Miguelina, Richard -
    Do you know what Argentina's policies are on immigration? I am already considering where I might try to immigrate to if the U.S. continues much further on the current path.

If amnesty happens, I won't stay in a country that facilitates its own illegal invasion, allowing the violation of its own sovereignty, against the wishes of the far majority of its citizens. Then to further hurt its legal citizens, this same country also provides victimhood status to these illegal invaders and provides them with MORE rights, special treatment, affirmative action, quotas in employment and academic arenas.

And actually makes the citizens pay for the demise of their country by giving millions of their hard-earned tax dollars to ethnocentric invader support groups like LaRaza. It is government-sanctioned rape of its people.

But I digress......

I'm serious in my question about Argentina, what are their immigration policies?
    <div>Number*U.S. military*in S.Korea to protect their border with N.Korea: 28,000. Number*U.S. military*on 2000 mile*U.S. southern border to protect ourselves from*the war in our own backyard: 1,200 National Guard.</

There are illegal Bolivians and Paraguayans and an amnesty movement supported by the usual special interests.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigratio ... cent_times

April
    William needs help here! Please join in!

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-159705.html

Quote Originally Posted by bigtex
    Congratulations! I wish all Americans were patriots like this. This shows pride in the country you live in.

I hope his family is investing to create jobs in Argentina and not bringing friends and family here illegally.
    Richard, I would imagine these Americans are like so many other immigrants. They come here to make American their country. They will die here. They want to spend their time helping to create jobs in America not a country they do not love any more. That is why they help to uphold our laws and turn in illegal alien criminals.
    Your are right! on that! great point

Re: An Argentinean Immigrant In NY Reports Another Illegal A

I have nothing against legal immigrants, I myself am one. My parents and I immigrated from Argentina in the early 1970. We did it by the book, broke no laws and in time became citizens and productive members of our community. It angers me to no end when I hear or read in the media about these criminals being referred to as "immigrants" when in fact they are not.

Bravo!!!

I applaud this man and his family for doing things the right way and contributing to this country.
    ProEnglish:The English Language Advocates
    http://www.proenglish.org/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12