Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

We should not be forced to learn a second language in this country if we do not want to. Colleges do require it, but they teach at the same level as high school's do at their early levels.

You'll always have students interested in learning a second language. Unfortunately, you'll also have those that have no interest in it. YOU MUST HAVE THE DESIRE TO DO WHAT IT TAKES TO LEARN IT OR YOU WILL FAIL!!! I learned to understand Spanish and speak it a little within a 2 month period when I was 19 because I knew I was going to Argentina. I had the desire. I could speak it within 2-3 months of being in the country. Those that don't want to be learn make it miserable for everyone else. "Why do I have to learn Mexican?" That was one of their favorite questions. It is a complete waste of time for them. If colleges want to require it, great. It will give them extra money. However, the public school system SHOULD NOT require it.
    THE POOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT IN MY AVATAR CROSSED OVER THE WRONG BORDER FENCE!!!

Heck, we've got enough trouble getting kids AND adults to speak proper english, let alone a second language. Have you ever noticed how many of the anchor babies cannot speak either language very well? It's spanglish.

Well, unless you're from Texas, no one speaks English perfectly.
    THE POOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT IN MY AVATAR CROSSED OVER THE WRONG BORDER FENCE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel
    Quote Originally Posted by TyRANTosaur
    I'm gonna see about starting a petition or getting some support to send a letter to my state rep/senator to make a move not only to do away with bilingual education, but to also make the taking of a foreign language a true elective, and not a required elective. Students should be able to choose whether or not to take a foreign language. That is a huge challenge to take on a foreign language at such an older age. I had to deal with at least 15 students, 1/2 of my class, everyday that did not want to learn Spanish. It would have been so much better and successful if I would have had the students there that wanted to be there. Imagine that.

I think teachers would agree. I think many of the legal American parents at that school in Austin would agree.
    Ideally it would be nice to only have students who so desire, in the classroom, but that is wishful thinking. Furthermore, foreign languages are benficial in this international and global economy. Moreover, most colleges require foreign languages. Yes, I know not all students are going to college, but in my experience we would like to prepare students as best as possible to go to college (they may decide to go to college later).
    Gabriel,
    while I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you but simply using your theory...........we should be learning CHINESE and NOT spanish.

I do agree completely with TYRANT........we 'learn' when we have a desire to learn. 2nd and 3rd languages should be elective as it was prior to the homogonization of our educational system and our forced PC society.

Why spanish? What financial benefit does that afford our children over say......Chinese? The spanish speaking nations are, for all intents and purposes, dead financial centers.......unless, that is, the North American Union were to become a reality!

Btw, in many of the Eastern & Middle Eastern countries {islamic & others} ENGLISH is a requirement. Food for thought.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndamendsis
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel
    Quote Originally Posted by TyRANTosaur
    I'm gonna see about starting a petition or getting some support to send a letter to my state rep/senator to make a move not only to do away with bilingual education, but to also make the taking of a foreign language a true elective, and not a required elective. Students should be able to choose whether or not to take a foreign language. That is a huge challenge to take on a foreign language at such an older age. I had to deal with at least 15 students, 1/2 of my class, everyday that did not want to learn Spanish. It would have been so much better and successful if I would have had the students there that wanted to be there. Imagine that.

I think teachers would agree. I think many of the legal American parents at that school in Austin would agree.
    Ideally it would be nice to only have students who so desire, in the classroom, but that is wishful thinking. Furthermore, foreign languages are benficial in this international and global economy. Moreover, most colleges require foreign languages. Yes, I know not all students are going to college, but in my experience we would like to prepare students as best as possible to go to college (they may decide to go to college later).
    Gabriel,
    while I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you but simply using your theory...........we should be learning CHINESE and NOT spanish.

I do agree completely with TYRANT........we 'learn' when we have a desire to learn. 2nd and 3rd languages should be elective as it was prior to the homogonization of our educational system and our forced PC society.

Why spanish? What financial benefit does that afford our children over say......Chinese? The spanish speaking nations are, for all intents and purposes, dead financial centers.......unless, that is, the North American Union were to become a reality!

Btw, in many of the Eastern & Middle Eastern countries {islamic & others} ENGLISH is a requirement. Food for thought.

I never mentioned learning Spanish as a second language instead of all others. I said learning a second language is beneficial. "We should only learn what we want to learn." I hear it on a daily basis from students who are too immature to look past today. My question to 14, 15, 16 and 17 year-olds is, "What will you be doing in 14 years, 5 months and 11 days?" Not very many, if any, have a certainty. So how can we expect these very students to make a decision that may affect them in the future? Learning any foreign language is beneficial, for numerous reasons and even benefits understanding of your own language. Its better to learn more just in case, than not learn it at all and need it or benefit from it in the future. If we were to have students decide what they wanted to take, how many of them would take English, Math, Science, or History?

GABRIEL
    {btw, I love that name - it's one of my boy's names, lol}

What you might not have noticed is that Spanish is being forced upon our children rather than 'selected.'

Why are they forcing Spanish? Isn't that a cause for alarm? Where's freedom of choice?

Why are we spending money TEACHING IN SPANISH?

Something's wrong with this picture.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

What you might not have noticed is that Spanish is being forced upon our children rather than 'selected.'

Why are they forcing Spanish? Isn't that a cause for alarm? Where's freedom of choice?

Why are we spending money TEACHING IN SPANISH?

Something's wrong with this picture.

Anti-assimilation

Greasing the wheels for taking over
    from the it's my turn no matter what mob.

Neils
    9:29 am
    01/28/2007

NEILS
    not as long as I'm standing

Americans had better learn NOT to run but buck up & stand firm.
    The ONLY way this do-nothing/know-nothing mob could ever win is by Americans giving way.

Well, not this little gal

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndamendsis
    Are these students a majority hispanic or are they also Eastern, Asian and European?
    Info on school.

School Statistics
    General Information
    Total Students: 790
    Full Time Teachers: 59
    Student/Teacher Ratio: 14 Students : 1 Teacher

Race Distribution
    Percent Asian: 1%
    Percent Black: 17%
    Percent Hispanic: 78%
    Percent Native American: 0%
    Percent White/Other: 4%

With a student/teacher 14:1, I don't understand how ANY school could fail.

Race Distribution
    Percent Asian: 1%
    Percent Black: 17%
    Percent Hispanic: 78%
    Percent Native American: 0%
    Percent White/Other: 4%

With a student/teacher 14:1, I don't understand how ANY school could fail.

there ya go.........proof in black and white.

14:1 student/teacher ratio!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast