Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

But that is part of assimilation with first generation kids, it has always happened with other immigration groups in the past.
    I disagree with that statement. Past generations of immigrants did not have ethnic activists waiting here in this country to foster a sense of "victimhood" in them. Yes, life was hard and there were difficulties, but they understood that they would succeed or fail on their own merits. They taught their children that the way to success in America was through education and hard work. They did not dwell on the negatives, but took advantage of every opportunity they could find, no matter how small. They insisted that their children learn English, some to the point where they would not allow their native languages to be spoken in the home.

On top of that, there were no welfare benefits for them to take advantage of. They either worked and supported themselves, went back home to their native lands, or died. Whatever little financial assistance they received was provided through private charities or religious organizations. There was no "special treatment", no taxpayer funded ESL or bilingual classes for their children. Nobody would have even thought of demanding classes to be taught in their native language.

I am not saying that they should have that assistance, I am against bilingual education, I know the only way to learn the language is to be immersed in it. I lived it. I am saying that many times immigrant groups were the lower income families, they also had to assimilate and it did not happen the moment they stepped foot in this country. They did not come here legally did they? Just like the Hispanic groups have to learn to assimilate so did those groups.

Today there are neighboorhoods primarily hispanic, with spanish stores etc...that existed with other immigrant groups. They came here and stuck together in the same neighboorhoods. Worked the low skilled jobs, etc...

Still they do need to learn to speak english, and all that I totally agree. There is no excuse not to learn it. I learned it, I speak spanish at home with my parents or my grandmother when i go to Mexico...but I learned English. Baisically if I learned it if my parents learned it than so can everyone else. If my cousin who lives in Mexico can learn it...there is no excuse

They did not come here legally did they?
    What makes you think this, Aracely?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I dont know if they did, as I was writing it came up.
    I am asking.

My grandparents came here from Italy as children with their parents. They came legally. Yes, it is true that they congregated in neighborhoods with other Italians where they felt more comfortable. BUT, there was a deep desire to assimilate, to become a part of America, to be accepted as Americans. They encouraged their children to "Americanize" not to keep speaking Italian and to retain loyalty to Italy. IMO this is the difference between today's immigrants (not all, of course) and those of yesteryear.

There is also a great degree of difference between those who legally immigrate and those who come illegally. Legal immigrants are more likely to have respect for this country, its laws, culture, and language. Illegals tend to have no respect, are not interested in assimilating or learning the language, and retain loyalty to their native land. There are exceptions, of course, but this is the general rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Aracely

Today there are neighboorhoods primarily hispanic, with spanish stores etc...that existed with other immigrant groups. They came here and stuck together in the same neighboorhoods. Worked the low skilled jobs, etc...

Still they do need to learn to speak english, and all that I totally agree. There is no excuse not to learn it. I learned it, I speak spanish at home with my parents or my grandmother when i go to Mexico...but I learned English. Baisically if I learned it if my parents learned it than so can everyone else. If my cousin who lives in Mexico can learn it...there is no excuse
    one little point, other 'immigrants' came here through the front door legally, not by hopping a fence with no respect or regard for the country whose laws they were violating. my grandparents were legal immigrants, they learned English, paid taxes, followed the laws of the land and quickly assimulated. they got no handouts they came because they wanted to be Americans.. the current 'immigrants' have no intention of becoming Americans they are here for what freebies they can get from the stupid gringos. we can throw as much money as we want into trying to 'educate' these illegals but you can't force someone to learn, they have to want to learn. as their numbers grow it is going to be more and more difficult to get them to assimulate because they don't need to. they have their own language, culture and people why give it up?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234