Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CHENEY Thinks "ROBUST" Presidential Powers Needed!

'Robust' presidential powers needed, Cheney says, in spy-program fallout
    Some Republicans call for investigation of legality of actions
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Wednesday, December 21, 2005

WASHINGTON

Vice President Dick Cheney called for "strong and robust" presidential powers yesterday, saying that executive authority was eroded during the Watergate and Vietnam eras. Some legislators said that President Bush's decision to spy on Americans to foil terrorists showed that he was flexing more muscle than the Constitution allows.

The disclosure of Bush's 4-year-old order approving domestic surveillance without court warrants has set off a fiery debate over the balance of power between the White House, Congress and the judiciary.

"I believe in a strong, robust executive authority, and I think that the world we live in demands it," Cheney said. "I would argue that the actions that we've taken there are totally appropriate and consistent with the constitutional authority of the president.... It's not an accident that we haven't been hit in four years."

Senators from both parties said that the role of Congress may not be sidelined - even in wartime.

"I think the vice president ought to reread the Constitution," said Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass.

Democrats said they were troubled by the surveillance program and that the president had no authority to approve it.

"He has no legal basis for spying on Americans without court approval," said Sen. Richard Durbin of Illinois, the No. 2 Democrat in the Senate.

Republicans said that Congress must investigate whether Bush was within the law to allow the National Security Agency to eavesdrop - without warrants - on the international calls and e-mail of Americans and others inside the United States with suspected ties to al-Qaida.

"I believe the Congress - as a coequal branch of government - must immediately and expeditiously review the use of this practice," said Sen. Olympia Snowe, R-Maine.

Snowe joined three other members of the Senate Intelligence Committee in calling for a joint inquiry by the Senate judiciary and intelligence committees.

The administration defends the program, saying that Congress gave Bush the authority to use "signals intelligence" - wiretaps, for example - to eavesdrop on international calls between U.S. citizens and foreigners when one of them is a suspected member or supporter of al-Qaida.

Attorney General Alberto Gonzales justifies the program with the Authorization to Use Military Force law, which Congress passed and Bush signed a week after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. The administration says it believes that the law lets the government avoid provisions of the 1978 Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.

The surveillance act was passed after public outcry over abuses during the Nixon administration, which spied on anti-war and civil-rights protesters. Under the act, an 11-member court oversees government applications for secret surveillance or searches of foreigners and U.S. citizens suspected of terrorism or espionage.

"I'm not a lawyer, but in my reading, it is pretty conclusive, very conclusive, that FISA prohibits all warrantless electronic surveillance of Americans in America," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif.

Bush and his top advisers have suggested that senior congressional leaders vetted the program in more than 10 highly classified briefings. Democrats said they were told of the program, but had concerns.

On Monday, Sen. Jay Rockefeller of West Virginia, the ranking Democrat on the Senate Intelligence Committee, released a letter he wrote to Cheney in July 2003 saying that, given the program's secrecy, he was "unable to fully evaluate, much less endorse these activities."

This story can be found at: http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satel ... 7645509161
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

Note that CHENIAC states that HE believes in a "strong, robust EXECUTIVE authority"!!

Also, note that the letter written by Senator Rockefeller was written to CHENIAC--NOT to BUSH--which reconfirms my strong belief that EVERY SINGLE SHADY ACT PERPETRATED BY THIS ADMINISTRATION ORIGINATES IN THE OFFICE of the VICE President.
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

Well if they get any more power, then the American people should confirm to the world that we're under a dictatorship.

We will have to ask for help from the leaders of the free world.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I don't think we're gonna have to WAIT for the dictatorship. I think that's already happened. This administration has just SO ABUSED the power of the Office of President on ISSUE AFTER ISSUE that, if we aren't living in a dictatorship, it's about as close as you could get without BEING one. It is a scary commentary when the checks and balances of a democracy are being ignored and, after all, that would be MY definition of a dictatorship. A government which is ruled by ONE branch with NO checks and balances by the other TWO branches seem very MUCH like a dictatorship.

Why in the world would Cheniac want stronger more robust executive authority?

Lord help US. What do they want to do that they haven't already done?

1. They've lied.

2. They've spied.

3. They've tortured.

4. They've invaded.

5. They've sold us.

What's left?

Impeach Bush and Cheney. They're both Wack Jobs.

Get these mania-afflicted turds out of our government.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"I believe in a strong, robust executive authority, and I think that the world we live in demands it," Cheney said. "I would argue that the actions that we've taken there are totally appropriate and consistent with the constitutional authority of the president.... It's not an accident that we haven't been hit in four years."
    You sir need more power like we need more illegals. Translation = you don't need squat. What do you know about the Constitution? You clowns have been shirking your Constitutional duties since day one. You and Jorge think the Constitution is just merely a g-ddamn piece of paper. You clowns care more about spying on American citizens and the safety of terrorists more so than the millions of invaders flooding thru our borders. Then this clown is cheering about not being hit for 4 years? So what? We still get attacked by vicious illegal alien criminals, gangs and drug dealers trying to push their deadly contraband and violence down our throats on a daily basis. As far as I'm concerned we get terrorized every single day. How do you Dick know that the terrorists aren't about to hit us soon anyway? For all we know over the last 4 years we could have had over a million terrorists flood into our borders. It's not like you detain these people or anything with your idiotic catch and release policies.

"I think the vice president ought to reread the Constitution," said Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass.
    As much as I depise this worthless sack of traitorous whale dung and I can't believe I'm saying this, I agree. Dicky and Bushie especially need to read these passages from the constitution.

Article I.

Section 1
    All legislative Powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the
    United States, which shall consist of a Senate and House of Representatives.

That means that laws are suppose to be made by Congress, not by Dick and Jorge.

Article II.

Section 1

Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following
    Oath or Affirmation:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of
    President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve,
    protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Yeah like that has happened.

Article IV.

Section 4
    The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican
    Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature
    cannot be convened) against domestic Violence.

Dick, Jorge and all of Congress should be reading this one.

Oh and here's one for Dick and Jorge concerning this issue.

Amendment IV
    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and
    effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Now wouldn't the Patriot Act violate this amendment here?

Chew on that Dick and Jorge.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Judy
    Why in the world would Cheniac want stronger more robust executive authority?

Lord help US. What do they want to do that they haven't already done?

1. They've lied.

2. They've spied.

3. They've tortured.

4. They've invaded.

5. They've sold us.

What's left?

Impeach Bush and Cheney. They're both Wack Jobs.

Get these mania-afflicted turds out of our government.

Just like I said yesterday. This administration has no concept of how our government is suppose to work. None. They think Congress and every other branch is just merely there to serve their agenda and be at their every beckoning call. The level of arrogance this administration portrays every day is astonishing. What low will they not sink to? We supposedly elected a president, not a king.

I agree. These clowns have got to go.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Okay. I agree with you. But I have to ask this. If GWB was a complete dictator would we be able to talk to each other and speak out the way that we do?

Perhaps he is somewhat of a dictator. Perhaps he abuses his power and overrides the will of the American people (Cafta, borders, Patriot Act, etc)
    and takes actions which could be called criminal. (bribing and scaring senators into voting according to his agenda).

But, also, dictators don't have elections. We do, although we aren't sure that our votes are being counted right.

Okay. He's a partial dictator. When we can no longer speak out and sleep in our own beds at night, he will be a complete dictator.

Would that be a fair analysis ?

If he bribes the senators on the immigration bill....let's not even talk about that.

Have a nice day. Merry Christmas.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Couldn't have said it better myself, dman!! I was even going to say the same thing about agreeing with TED KENNEDY!! For once in his life, he actually said something that MADE SENSE!!!

This administration has done MORE DAMAGE to the trust of the American citizens than ANY I can remember and that would include the Nixon administration. Even though they were about as corrupt as they come, they were NOT INVADING the privacy of ordinary American citizens.

Power in the hands of Maniac and Cheniac is just a very dangerous thing. And, you are so right about their feeling about the other two brances of government. In their PITIFUL little minds, they are just not relevant. They tromple roughshod over the Constitution, the Congress, the Judicial branch and, worst of all, the American people. I know WE have found PLENTY of reasons to impeach them but I am hoping that THIS will be THE REAL REASON for Congress to start impeachment proceedings. EVERYONE needs to start contacting their representatives and expressing their OUTRAGE because the word is that they are going to wait until after the holidays to address this after they see how it's playing with their constituents. The word is also that they don't think the public is going to think it's a big deal!!!

Maybe he's just stubborn and selfish, with a willingness to break the law ?

Okay, never mind. Where's the paper ? I'll sign it agreeing that he's a dictator.

Have a nice day. Oh yea, Merry Christmas, again.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast