Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Chicago Officers investigated over border patrol hats

Cops probed over 'U.S. border patrol' hats

September 13, 2006

BY ANNIE SWEENEY Crime Reporter

Chicago Police are investigating whether two plainclothes officers wore baseball hats that read "U.S. Border Patrol" on duty on the Northwest Side last week.

Ernesto Cruz, 21, told police the two Albany Park District officers asked him about his immigration status, a question that is generally prohibited by city ordinance and police general orders, police and city officials said.

The incident in the Albany Park neighborhood upset residents there, who saw the hats as a threat to the immigrant community.

'Trying to strike fear'

"To us it was clear they were posing as border patrol agents,'' said Jenny Arwade, executive director of the Albany Park Neighborhood Council.

"They are doing it in a very diverse community. They are purposely trying to strike fear in community residents and intimidate them," Arwade said.

The group was planning to hold a march and news conference today at the police district.

Chicago Police on Tuesday launched an investigation into whether the officers were wearing the hats while on duty, department spokeswoman Monique Bond said.

'Shouldn't be intimidating'

"Plainclothes officers are prohibited from wearing any logos, slogans or identifiers of any organization,'' Bond said.

Asked if the investigation would determine if the officers were using the "Border Patrol" hats to intimidate immigrants, Bond said: "The investigation will be comprehensive."

Cruz said he was standing next to his motorcycle last Thursday at Central Park and Leland when the officers pulled up and began asking about his license plates.

"They didn't identify themselves,'' said Cruz, a part-time student at Northeastern Illinois University who has lived in Albany Park for seven years. "They were just asking me questions.''

He said the officers asked for his driver's license and Social Security card. He said he could not produce either because he had lost his wallet.

Cruz said the officers wore jeans, T-shirts and bullet-proof vests.

Both wore green baseball hats that read "U.S. Border Patrol,'' he said.

"I didn't really pay attention to the hats until one started telling me because I was illegal I don't have any rights," Cruz said.

Cruz wouldn't comment on his status.

He said the officers asked for his driver's license and Social Security card. He said he could not produce either because he had lost his wallet.
    Gee, how convenient.

After watching the hearings on Cspan last night, it looks like our government is finally paying attention and realizing that this country is in total chaos as a result of their negligence with regard to the southern border.

Cruz wouldn't comment on his status.
    Wonder if this man who is probably here illegally could be exaggerating this story to get some negative publicity for the law enforcement in this community?
    "Remember the Alamo!"

The incident in the Albany Park neighborhood upset residents there, who saw the hats as a threat to the immigrant community.
    If you are here legally then how can it be a threat?
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

Where do I get the hat!
    The first requisite of a good citizen in this republic of ours is that he shall be able and willing to pull his own weight.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Chicago in all its infinite corruption has always been pro illegal. Ironically they are attempting to make Cook County/Illinois a sanctuary.

Correct me if I am wrong but I have had my purse snatched and the first thing I did was report it to the police and REPLACE all of my stolen identification. Isn't that what any LEGAL CITIZEN would do?

Quote Originally Posted by American_made
    Where do I get the hat!
    Here it is:
    http://www.4armedforces.com/product/2097_JW_BORDER

"Remember the Alamo!"

This just goes to show that 'Chicago' may be pro-illegal bute the citizens AND cops are not. They (we) have to deal with these scumbags on a daily basis. I have heard tales of other Illinois jurisdictions that do a lot more about illegals than just wear BP hats. Good for them.

YOU GO! Chicago cops!
    "There's no such thing as ILLEGALalien-able rights!" REGRESO E MEXICO !

If you're here legally, why should you feel threatened??????
    Now, if you've done something wrong...................

Deport them already!
    <div>Thank you Governor Brewer!</div>

I find it funny since there have been stories where many undocumented people dressed up like police officers to gain entry into peoples homes to steal their money, keys, car, drivers license and SS card. I think he just wants a hat.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast