Cops probed over 'U.S. border patrol' hats

September 13, 2006

BY ANNIE SWEENEY Crime Reporter

Chicago Police are investigating whether two plainclothes officers wore baseball hats that read "U.S. Border Patrol" on duty on the Northwest Side last week.

Ernesto Cruz, 21, told police the two Albany Park District officers asked him about his immigration status, a question that is generally prohibited by city ordinance and police general orders, police and city officials said.

The incident in the Albany Park neighborhood upset residents there, who saw the hats as a threat to the immigrant community.

'Trying to strike fear'

"To us it was clear they were posing as border patrol agents,'' said Jenny Arwade, executive director of the Albany Park Neighborhood Council.

"They are doing it in a very diverse community. They are purposely trying to strike fear in community residents and intimidate them," Arwade said.

The group was planning to hold a march and news conference today at the police district.

Chicago Police on Tuesday launched an investigation into whether the officers were wearing the hats while on duty, department spokeswoman Monique Bond said.

'Shouldn't be intimidating'

"Plainclothes officers are prohibited from wearing any logos, slogans or identifiers of any organization,'' Bond said.

Asked if the investigation would determine if the officers were using the "Border Patrol" hats to intimidate immigrants, Bond said: "The investigation will be comprehensive."

Cruz said he was standing next to his motorcycle last Thursday at Central Park and Leland when the officers pulled up and began asking about his license plates.

"They didn't identify themselves,'' said Cruz, a part-time student at Northeastern Illinois University who has lived in Albany Park for seven years. "They were just asking me questions.''

He said the officers asked for his driver's license and Social Security card. He said he could not produce either because he had lost his wallet.

Cruz said the officers wore jeans, T-shirts and bullet-proof vests.

Both wore green baseball hats that read "U.S. Border Patrol,'' he said.

"I didn't really pay attention to the hats until one started telling me because I was illegal I don't have any rights," Cruz said.

Cruz wouldn't comment on his status.