My state Senator, along with about 20 state legislators, just attended a meeting here in Idaho with the Department of Homeland Security to talk about the E-Verify program. My Senator had called me previously and asked me to give him some questions to ask the DHS agent.

To use the E-Verify program, employers run an employee's information through the data base to see if they are legally allowed to work in this country. However, the employer is forced by law to hire that employee even if the data comes back with a no match. The employee then has 10 days to clear all that up, and if he doesn't then the employer has to terminate the employee.

My question was, if the data came back with a no match, then why can't the employer have the option of waiting 10 days before letting the employee start work so that the employer doesn't have to invest time and money in an employee that he may not be allowed to keep. The answer from DHS. That would be racial profiling.

Now think about this for a minute. DHS touts the statistics that E-Verify is 99.6% accurate. That means that if the data comes back with a no match, that means there is a 99.6% chance that the employee is in this country illegally.

If you are an American worker and apply for a job that requires a background check, are you accepted as an employee right away, or do you have to wait for the results? What if you applied for a job in a school where they require background checks, even if you work in a cafeteria. Are you allowed to work for 10 days even if the report eventually comes back that you are a sex offender, for instance?