Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: CSPAN Now!!!!!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

A pardon can also be granted to a class of people, such as those involved in the Whiskey Rebellion. In US v Klein (80 US 12, the Supreme Court upheld such blanket or group pardons — President James Carter pardoned all Vietnam draft dodgers.
    http://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_pard.html

I would prefer to be wrong than right regarding this, but this is what has led me to believe that it could be done if a president wanted to do it.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by zeezil
    Since the president can grant pardons and since he has the power of "Executive Orders", you kinda have to wonder if Bush really might be a lunatic and as one of his last acts in office (looking for a legacy, you know) would be to "executively order" amnesty to illegal aliens? The next incoming administration, no matter who...McClintObama...would certainly NOT rescind it. There, see, that messy immigration problem is now all solved!!!

Am I being unrational and totally paranoid by even remotely thinking this could happen? Afterall, it is now commonplace to go to war now without a Congressional declaration to do so, why would a Congressional declaration of amnesty be needed?
    Well, to pardon someone, they need to have committed a crime. The open border people have gotten everyone to get rid of the word "illegal" and now call them undocumented workers. They have all worked very hard to change the label of illegal aliens. For Bush to pardon them, they would all then have to admit they're criminals, now wouldn't they. I don't see it happening without Congress.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Don't count on Bush not doing it. If he did it now, it would take the wind and the hispanic vote off the table for Hillary and BO.

If it were out of the way, McCain would stand a chance.

FYI

Remarks by Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff and Attorney General Mukasey at a Briefing on Immigration Enforcement and Border Security Efforts
    Release Date: February 22, 2008

http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1203722713615.shtm

Quote Originally Posted by Populist
    FYI

Remarks by Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff and Attorney General Mukasey at a Briefing on Immigration Enforcement and Border Security Efforts
    Release Date: February 22, 2008

http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1203722713615.shtm
    awesome, Populist...thanks.

Maybe we should not even talk about it, or we might encourage the idea if he's ever thought about it.

Maybe I should delete my posts.

If all it took was for the president's swipe of a pen to grant these illegals amnesty and we know that Bush wanted it, why didn't it happen then? Please correct me if I am wrong but doesn't congress have to be involved in that legislation as they were last year and it was defeated?

We would hope so, Oldglory, but this question came to me after I read this:

A pardon can also be granted to a class of people, such as those involved in the Whiskey Rebellion. In US v Klein (80 US 12, the Supreme Court upheld such blanket or group pardons — President James Carter pardoned all Vietnam draft dodgers.

The link to it is a couple of posts up. Hopefully not, but it's more a concern regarding the next presidents, considering who they might be.

Hopefully it will not be possible or legal.

Chertoff announced near the beginning:

"Congress didn’t give us comprehensive immigration reform, so we are going to do what we can with the tools that we have, and frankly we have made progress in doing quite a bit, and that is what I am here to update you on."

After hearing the briefing and reading the transcript, it sounds to me as if they FINALLY realize that our current laws are sufficient to get the job done WITHOUT passing comprehensive immigration reform granting an undetermined mass number of illegal immigrants some form of legal status. In so many words...they were wrong!!!

Am I being too optimistic???

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567