Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senate resumes -

Debate / discussion on S1348 (11:15am Pacific)

Debate until 12:30pm Pacific on bill.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Specter (or is that Spectre - as in evil organization from James Bond fame)?

Murkowski speaking about Sen Thomas (11:20am PT)
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Murkowski yields,

Allard speaking...

Allard rise in support 1189 - strikes supplemental for 'Z's.

Bill rewards lawbreaking, punishes lawabiders.

Chain Migration, Merit-based immigration; all apps. should be on level playing field.

By now, we should be familiar w/concept of merit-based system.

Amend attempts to strike supplemental provision for Z visas.
    Bill defines IAs as lawbreakers, but rewards them with Z visa.
    People that seek to enter legally can't get Z visa.

Entry should be based on skills, education, training.

My amend strikes special schedule for illegal entries which could get the Z Visa.

This amend does not interfere with AgJobs program (there is no current limit - but only 35k H2As are given each year).

My amend addresses those applying for c-ship, not for work. Puts applicants for c-ship on an equal footing - regardless of work type.
    This makes same rules for all applicants.

I think this is a good idea

Yields floor.

Specter speaking...

Watch Kennedy strong arm the votes so that none of these amendments get passed. Just like he did last week.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Specter - I thank the senator for his amend, but our existing bill is crafted with a fragile coalition; especially with preference to agr workers.
    ... is because it is part of interwoven accommodation of many provisions of bill.

I object my senators to vote against the Allard amendment.

Allard...

I appreciate the others perspective... This current bill is not drafted well - I hope we can change the bill, and adopt my amendment then we can begin to fix the problems in the bill, etc.

Specter...

Re: processing of que of applicants - structure is designed to clear backlog of current applicants - in 8 yr period. After that happens, then the 12 mil undoc imms will 'come in'; then there will be preference among those illegals that are the farm workers.

Allard...

Can I respond? This is where the issue comes up -
    If it gets applied one way in the bill, then his comment is probably valid, but if it is in another, then a different outcome exists.

This is the problem with the bill - it is in the drafting and text of the bill.

Fatboy speaks...

This is the 7th day we've been on this bill, over last week during recess we've heard a healthy debate across the country, some support it, some don't, - one thing is loud and clear: it is broken and they want us to fix it.

We have a bipartisan bill. I bill when this is all done, I believe it will pass.

It sets up an immi system that works in the future, blah, blah,, etc.

I want to speak about Allard amend:

It seeks to strike a central blow to earned legalization for undoc people in US. (Virtually all americans support a path to c-ship , [blah, blah], )
    Lists conditions of bill - must work, must apply, must wait ... then,

Allard seeks to nullify possibility; strikes point schedule for Z visa holders.

Determines when they can apply for PR; earned c-ship by tough requirements.

Intent is to req undoc imms to compete with future immigrants for Z visas, etc.

Veiled attempt to keep undoc residents from perm residency.
    Seeks to create a permanent underclass -

Similar situation occurs in other countries, that is not the American way.

I urge a no vote on amendment.

Mentions AgJobs bill - w/Craig, Feinstein and "Agribusiness" coordination...

No question 1/2 of them are undocs; basically what we're saying is that they should be able to get GC in 5 yrs - these people should get some credit for working here in America. These indivs will be competing with others with more skills for entry/visas.

This undermines the core agreement.

Allard - says we are going to change the system outlined.

11:39am Pacific

Fatboy (con't): 11:40am Pacific

Allard undermines current 'agreement' on bill; puts low-skilled workers at a disadvantage. It is unwise and unfair.

Yields...

Durbin has floor:

Re: S1231 Amendment -

This bill is long overdue, in 1986 amnesty - was supposed to stop inflow from outside. 800k in every/yr; 3/4 stay.

Let me salute Kennedy, Specter, etc -

(Referring to 'screamers' on cable TV about the broken immigration system [gee, I wonder who that was directed at?!?!?!?!])

We need a new system that works now...

This bill has new concepts, we will have 100k s new workers for jobs every year. Lists meat-packing, agricultural jobs, we need workers to come in to take jobs

Mentions high-tech workers; B Gates and IT outsourcing; I want those jobs in America. I'm willing to listen to his request for more H1b visas.

We need 1 guiding principle: Hire Americans First

The guest workers are subject to the same princip. - 1 big loophole: Sec of Labor can waive requirement in case of 'labor shortage'.
    They are off-hook: Grassley + Durbin have introduced this Amendment

Re: H1B visas:

Special visas w/high education - Unfortunatly there are some companies gaming the system. Brokerage houses have been scamming the system.

Refers to Indian companies and bringing workers into US - they send engs to US to fill spots, then bring them back home to India to compete with the companies that they worked for here.

Is this what we have in mind here? I think not.
    We want to tighten up the H1B visa - first and foremost, we must hire US workers first. Our first responsibility applies to the guest worker program to protect American jobs first.

All companies must give to 1st priority to American workers - that is all this amendment does.

I urge my senators to support this amendment.

Yields floor..

Quorum call [pause]

Kennedy is not going to allow anything that changes the original bill. You mark my words.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

those idiots need to stop saying that we don't have the workers here in the US, we do if they gave Americans the chance first and get rid of these mexican slaves they are using!!
    Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.*** -G.K. Chesterton from the book 'The Shack' by Wm. Paul Young-

Specter:

Pending amend from Durbin is really unneccessary.

American workers are fully protected under existing law.

This would add greater delay, would require advertising and would be more expensive, etc

DoL Sec must certify that hiring of GWs won't affect American workers, etc.

(Listing types of jobs which are said to be in shortage: nursing, phys therapist, etc -

ALiens of 'exceptional ability': college univ instructors, etc.
    Others: has leve of expertise which normally wouldnt' be encountered in the field. App must provide evidence of expertise., etc.

What we have is a system which is adequate the US workers -

Quoting role of DoL Sec. in certification of labor conditions in ensuring protection of US workers [ my editorial: OOOOOH BOOO! ]

Yields...

Kennedy: I support the D-G amendment; it provides additional protection for US workers.

It is simple that additional advertising for American workers first.
    Most senators can support it.

Bill language is simple and eliminates exception in certain industries which claim shortage.

Re: GC vs. temp worker context, to ensure unfair competition - we really do need an exception to this rule.

What better way than to require advertising for US workers first.

Re: DoL shortage exception claim - employers are seeking more US workers, if they really are, then they should be able to abide by these rules. This just ensures 1st chance goes to Americans - it doesn't seem onerous or more costly.

It could also be possibly, that there are historical groups of Americans that have been discriminated against and gives these citiens a chance to hold these jobs.

Yields...

Quorum Call [ pause]

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast