Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

DAY LABORERS PROTEST DEVELOPER!

Protesters target developer's PVE home
    By Melissa Pamer, Staff Writer
    Article Launched: 12/19/2008 12:16:40 AM PST

Protesters gather at the Palos Verdes Estates home of the owner of Niemann Properties calling for payment of wages they say the company owes workers.

Niemann Properties, along with a subcontractor, is the target of an ongoing class-action lawsuit filed in May by more than 100 day laborers, who said they were never compensated for work done on a condominium project in Hollywood last year.

A day-laborer advocacy group has held protests at the project site, the Rolling Hills Estates company headquarters, and now at Niemann's home.

"We want to make sure Mr. Niemann is reminded that over 100 families are not going to be able to share a nice meal at Christmastime due to his company not doing what's right," said Marco Amador, a spokesman for the National Day Laborer Organizing Network. "Maybe next time we'll go to his church."

Niemann said in a statement that the laborers should focus their frustration at Alpha Co., the subcontractor that allegedly failed to issue proper payment.

"The protesters are directing their anger in the wrong place and at the wrong people," he said.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_11269357

***NOTE: The number of day laborers (all undocumented) have increased exponentially as of late. Go to any "Home Depot" in the L.A. area and you will see hundreds of illegal day laborers harassing people for work.

Why can't the INS conduct a massive sweep and deport them all?

TS77

Re: DAY LABORERS PROTEST DEVELOPER!

Quote Originally Posted by TALLSOLDIER77
    Protesters target developer's PVE home
    By Melissa Pamer, Staff Writer
    Article Launched: 12/19/2008 12:16:40 AM PST

Protesters gather at the Palos Verdes Estates home of the owner of Niemann Properties calling for payment of wages they say the company owes workers.

Niemann Properties, along with a subcontractor, is the target of an ongoing class-action lawsuit filed in May by more than 100 day laborers, who said they were never compensated for work done on a condominium project in Hollywood last year.

A day-laborer advocacy group has held protests at the project site, the Rolling Hills Estates company headquarters, and now at Niemann's home.

"We want to make sure Mr. Niemann is reminded that over 100 families are not going to be able to share a nice meal at Christmastime due to his company not doing what's right," said Marco Amador, a spokesman for the National Day Laborer Organizing Network. "Maybe next time we'll go to his church."

Niemann said in a statement that the laborers should focus their frustration at Alpha Co., the subcontractor that allegedly failed to issue proper payment.

"The protesters are directing their anger in the wrong place and at the wrong people," he said.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_11269357

***NOTE: The number of day laborers (all undocumented) have increased exponentially as of late. Go to any "Home Depot" in the L.A. area and you will hundreds of illegal day laborers harassing people for work.

Why can't the INS conduct a massive sweep and deport them all?

TS77

I'll take "What is Racist and Discriminatory for $1,000 please"
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

RE:DAY LABORERS

IN 10 YEARS SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA WILL BE A PROVINCE OF MEXICO. YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN SPANISH TO GET ANYTHING DONE. YOUR CHILDREN WILL HAVE A HIGHER CHANCE OF MARRYING AN ILLEGAL OR THE OFFSPRING OF ONE.

AND NOBODY CARES!

TS77

"The protesters are directing their anger in the wrong place and at the wrong people," he said

Typical... trying to pass the buck in order to resolve himself of any liability! Even so, you had a duty to ensure the subcontractor was in compliance with the law by not hiring illegal invador labor, as you were still the builder of record here! I'm sure you have payroll records that can establish how much you compensated this subcontractor. Or was this a cash deal?

In any event, this is what happens when you hire illegal invader labor! This is that so called "cheap labor" that everyone gushes over! HOW CHEAP IS IT NOW!!!! This is what you get for subverting our laws and hiring illegal invader labor (Alpha may have hired them, but you had a duty to know)! I hope ICE is also paying attention ( I will not hold my breath on that however).

Maybe next time, you will make sure the subcontractor you employee is hiring ONLY American workers!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    TALLSOLDIER wrote:

***NOTE: The number of day laborers (all undocumented) have increased exponentially as of late.
    Forgive me for asking but how do you know that every single one of them is illegal?

A vast majority of them are probably illegal but to arbitrarily state that all of them are is wrong (IMO).

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: RE:DAY LABORERS

Quote Originally Posted by TALLSOLDIER77
    IN 10 YEARS SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA WILL BE A PROVINCE OF MEXICO. YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN SPANISH TO GET ANYTHING DONE. YOUR CHILDREN WILL HAVE A HIGHER CHANCE OF MARRYING AN ILLEGAL OR THE OFFSPRING OF ONE.

AND NOBODY CARES!

TS77
    In 10 years!! Hell, you already have to speak spanish in order to even apply for many jobs in this state, as they REQUIRE bi-lingual - of course with the second language being spanish!

And your right TS77!! NOBODY CARES(at least those in positions of power), as this seemingly getting worse everyday!

RE: Day Laborers.

TS77

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    TALLSOLDIER wrote:

***NOTE: The number of day laborers (all undocumented) have increased exponentially as of late.
    Forgive me for asking but how do you know that every single one of them is illegal?

A vast majority of them are probably illegal but to arbitrarily state that all of them are is wrong (IMO).
    I'm sorry, not all are undocumented, they are just standing out in the cold because they all have proper identification to be here legally. It's difficult to explain to people who do not reside in L.A. just how horrible the day laborer crisis is.

And it's getting worse. Day laborers usually get paid "under the table".

TS77

Quote Originally Posted by NoBueno
    "The protesters are directing their anger in the wrong place and at the wrong people," he said

Typical... trying to pass the buck in order to resolve himself of any liability! Even so, you had a duty to ensure the subcontractor was in compliance with the law by not hiring illegal invador labor, as you were still the builder of record here! I'm sure you have payroll records that can establish how much you compensated this subcontractor. Or was this a cash deal?

In any event, this is what happens when you hire illegal invader labor! This is that so called "cheap labor" that everyone gushes over! HOW CHEAP IS IT NOW!!!! This is what you get for subverting our laws and hiring illegal invader labor (Alpha may have hired them, but you had a duty to know)! I hope ICE is also paying attention ( I will not hold my breath on that however).

Maybe next time, you will make sure the subcontractor you employee is hiring ONLY American workers!
    I agree, it's partly the contractors fault for hiring cheap labor, the source of my anger, not hatred, is that I used to make a decent living working in construction back in the 90's.

When contractors started hiring unskilled cheap labor it killed the industry. Cheap laborers drove down the prevailing wage, a lot of American citizens lost their jobs because of day laborers, the regional politicians did nothing to protect us.

Day laborers are killing the U.S. economy.

TS77

This is great, Palos Verdes (PV to locals) is a very upscale area, let them see what the rest of us have to live with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast