In a previous thread found here: http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... 0&start=50
I was accused of wanting to allow DD to remain here on the basis of her appearing "cute" in her profile pic.

Honestly, I think that is quite unfair. I have spent an obscene amount of time communicating with people on the internet over the past decade. I am smart enough to know better than to trust any profile pic. Whether or not the girl in the pic was actually DD did not matter to me, and it really should not have mattered to any of you. If it was her, I have to give her credit for putting up an image of herself to be criticized by people who probably dislike her. The fact that my sincerety was discredited is a bit offensive to me in that it appears to be sexist. Just because I have a penis does not automatically mean that I am listening to someone on the basis of looks just because YOU find them attractive.

Profile pictures aside, she did not appear as a troll to me. I moderate a few communities online and deal with trolls on a regular basis. Just because someone has an opposing view or even an illogical view does not make them a troll. Trolls will commonly post messages for the sole purpose of creating arguments and getting people upset. Most times the troll will not care one way or the other about the subject at hand; it is more of a matter of personal enjoyment achieved by starting a pointless fight. Trolls will also commonly post repeatedly and throw out bait with each reply. DD appeared to be giving honest replies, as messed up as they were.

I find it very petty that people who disagree with her views will go so far as to extract hidden messages from her profile picture, such as an extended middle finger when her hand was clearly holding a teacup. Maybe in her mind, she is giving us the finger, but are we not doing the same to her?

How can we possibly expect people with differing views to listen to our side if we are so quick to label them as trolls and gang up on them, tearing them to shreds?