Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

El Pasoans Feast On Food Stamps

El Pasoans Feast On Food Stamps
    At Least One In Five El Pasoans Relied On Food Stamps In March

1 in 5 El Pasoans Use Food Stamps
    Jacob Rascon-KFOX14 News Reporter
    Updated: 9:54 pm MDT May 4, 2011

EL PASO, Texas -- The number of Americans relying on food stamps rose 10 percent this year, and more Texans use the federal food benefit program than any other state, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

One in five El Pasoans uses the program. Combined, they bought more than $20 million in groceries with food stamps in March according to numbers from Texas Health and Human Services.

That number is far greater than the Texas county just larger than El Paso County and the one just smaller, in terms of population.

Travis County, which includes Austin, has about 1,024,000 residents compared with about 801,000 in El Paso, but only 112,000 of them use food stamps compared with more than 170,000 in the Borderland.
    Collin County just north of Dallas has about 784,000 residents, only about 38,000 of which used food stamps in March.

In summary, more than 20 percent of El Pasoans use food stamps compared with only about 11 percent in Travis County and 5 in Collin County.

Two big differences between the three counties are the Hispanic population and the per capita personal income. Eighty percent of El Pasoans are Hispanic, according to the latest U.S. census data. Hispanics are not the majority in Collin and Travis counties.

Per capita income for Travis County is about $41,000 compared with close to $30,000 in El Paso and $46,000 in Collin County as of 2009, according to the U.S. Department of Commerce.

KFOX-14 talked to El Pasoans who said Borderland has more food stamp users than others because it is a border town.

"They want to take advantage of benefits on this side of the border," Hairo Reyes of central El Paso said. His mother, Lorenza has been using food stamps since last year.

"I always worked," Lorenza Reyes said in Spanish."Now I'm disabled. I have diabetes and I'm alone."

Lorenza said she is very grateful for the food stamp program, which has allowed her to continue to eat healthy after she became unable to work. But she also said she thinks the program isn't always used properly.
    "We're in this great country of opportunity and a lot of people will abuse that," Lorenza said. "And Hispanics by nature have very large families that sometimes they can't support."

KFOX-14 met other El Pasoans who have been using the program for more than a decade, including Gloria Vargas.

"If the parents aren't residents, [Texas Health and Human Services] will give them help for their children," Vargas said. She said she has been receiving food benefits for 15 years, since her son was born.
    Another El Paso woman told KFOX-14 that she has received benefits since her son was born 17 years ago.

The only Texas county with a higher concentration of food stamp users than El Paso is HIdalgo County, also along the border.

http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/27781334/detail.html

Banned
    Just gives ya a warm fuzzy feeling don't it??

Yet we have UNITED STATES CITIZENS..OUR VETERANS FOR GODS
    SAKE. AMERICAN.CHILDREN LIVING IN THE STREETS AND HUNGRY!!

Banned
    You see hispanics around here in Ky.using food stamps all the time 2 days ago in the Wal Mart i seen 2 carts full of stuff paid in food stamps by hispanic female with 3 anchors.The husbands work for cash so they show no income thats how they quallifie,just this morning on local news in Lexington Ky.they showed an old building rentavated into homeless shelter and it is already filling up with hispanics.

"I always worked," Lorenza Reyes said in Spanish."Now I'm disabled. I have diabetes and I'm alone."

Lorenza said she is very grateful for the food stamp program, which has allowed her to continue to eat healthy after she became unable to work. But she also said she thinks the program isn't always used properly.
    "We're in this great country of opportunity and a lot of people will abuse that," Lorenza said. "And Hispanics by nature have very large families that sometimes they can't support."
    So, thanks to food stamps she overate and now has diabetes and can't work? Since when does diabetes entitled you to be disabled? My sister had diabetes from childhood (Type I - insulin dependent - not related to being overweight but an autoimmune problem) and she worked all her life.

And why do Hispanics have very large families that they "sometimes" can't support? How is that a problem for the US taxpayers and citizens?

El Paso is Mexico basically been there don't want to go back. No wonder we can't afford to give seniors an SS raise we're too busy keeping Mexico.
    Honestly I would give up my SS if they would deport all illegals, and yet they continue to say we need more workers, for what jobs.
    I'm old with many opinions few solutions.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    El Paso is Mexico basically been there don't want to go back. No wonder we can't afford to give seniors an SS raise we're too busy keeping Mexico.
    Honestly I would give up my SS if they would deport all illegals, and yet they continue to say we need more workers, for what jobs.
    MY dad has said the samething oldguy my mom and dad bearly get by what little they get from ss helps a little but you guys havent had a raise in 2 years and reps. voted down the 200.00 dallors Obama wanted to give this year.Dads retirement isnt much he worked construction all his life the most he ever made in 1 year was 24,000.oo dallors and they paid in on their own retirement so you know thats not much mom never worked stay at home mom.Thats why its so bad when you see these dam illegals robbing the system and working for cash not paying taxes and living high on the hog makes us mad.When people work hard all their lives live meager and srape by and dont ask for nothing.

Odd isn't it that this is where Obama went to pander his immigration "reform" spin speech? Did he want to give El Pasoans enough time to get more of their relatives to sneak over the border for more votes in 2012?

Isn't there any Democrat that will run against him? I would gladly register as a Dem to vote for his opponent. No point in voting in Repub primaries since they're all "cookie cutters" anyway, as far as I can see now.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Quote Originally Posted by GaPatriot

So, thanks to food stamps she overate and now has diabetes and can't work? Since when does diabetes entitled you to be disabled? My sister had diabetes from childhood (Type I - insulin dependent - not related to being overweight but an autoimmune problem) and she worked all her life.

And why do Hispanics have very large families that they "sometimes" can't support? How is that a problem for the US taxpayers and citizens?

Why does she not speak english? Just ticks me off what these free loaders are doing and what our gov allows. Gov needs to change.

"If the parents aren't residents, [Texas Health and Human Services] will give them help for their children," Vargas said. She said she has been receiving food benefits for 15 years, since her son was born.
    Another El Paso woman told KFOX-14 that she has received benefits since her son was born 17 years ago.

The only Texas county with a higher concentration of food stamp users than El Paso is HIdalgo County, also along the border.
    I wish I had the words to express my anger at the above quoted bullshit! Illegal invaders having kids they cannot support and American tax payers footing the bill! How much more of this theft are struggling Americans supposed to endure before they say no more!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

What ever happened to the rule "if you refuse to work you shouldn't eat?" And if people want to have large families, they had better be like the Duggars and support themselves-not irresponsible like the "octo-mom!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast