Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Emory student gov. pledges emergency funds to help those in pain over Trump chalking

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Emory student gov. pledges emergency funds to help those in pain over Trump chalking

Brian Ledtke Campus Reform Intern on Mar 23, 2016 at 12:28 PM EDT

Chalked messages such as "Vote Trump 2016" appeared on the school's sidewalks Monday.

Many students said they were 'in pain' and felt 'frustration' and 'fear' because of the chalk messages.

The school's student government vowed to use emergency funds to help support those traumatized by the messages.

Emory’s Student Government Association (SGA) and the College Council released a joint statement Tuesday after students voiced “genuine concern and pain” over pro-Donald Trump chalkings on campus saying that “the messages represent particularly bigoted opinions, policies, and rhetoric.”

Following the “unexpected chalking” which consisted of such phrases as, “Vote Trump 2016,” “Accept the Inevitable, Trump 2016,” and “Build the Wall,” about 40 students protested in front of the Emory Administration Building with signs saying “Stop Trump” and “Stop Hate.”

“I’m supposed to feel comfortable and safe [here],” one student said, “But this man is being supported by students on our campus and our administration shows that they, by their silence, support it as well…I don’t deserve to feel afraid at my school.”

The Emory Wheel reports that student Jonathan Peraza led chants of “You are not listening! Come speak to us, we are in pain,” during the protest.

“So this student is afraid of chalk opinions? Is this real life? That's the standard of fear now,” Fox Sport’s Clay Travis said in reply to Peraza cries.

The students then moved inside the Administration Building while shouting, “We must love each other and support each other. We have nothing to lose but our chains.”

Once inside a boardroom, with president James Wagner listening, Peraza asked his fellow students how they were feeling.

“Frustration” and “fear” were some of the responses before one student said tearfully, “How can you not [disavow Trump] when Trump’s platform and his values undermine Emory’s values that I believe are diversity and inclusivity when they are obviously not [something that Trump supports].”

Wagner reportedly then asked the students what the university should do about the situation, to which one student replied, “decry the support for this fascist, racist candidate.”

After over an hour of discussion, Wagner eventually agreed and said he would begin to draft an email. He also assured the protesters that officials will be reviewing security footage and if the offenders are Emory students then they will go through the conduct violation process. If they are not students, they will be charged with trespassing.

Amanda Obando, a student at Emory, said she was fearful after the chalkings appeared and expressed concern that the university didn’t take any immediate, definite steps.

“People still don’t understand that the protest yesterday served not only as an expression against one interpretation of the chalking, but also as a collective manifestation against the fear that a bigot leader can create,” Obando added.

Libertarian writer Jeffrey Tucker took it a step further and equated the chalking with a “cross burning.”

"It was like cross burning. It was on private property. It was extremely damaging and the students and faculty were totally embarrassed...it was absolutely intended to intimidate everyone and it worked,” Tucker told Reason.com.

Not long after the Trump chalkings appeared, many of them were already replaced with phrases saying, “Choose compassion,” “Stop hate” and “Stand against hatred.”

“Look, I’m so pleased I was in the building when [the protesters] arrived,” Wagner said in an interview with The Emory Wheel, “The opportunity to listen and their willingness to try to explain more and more clearly to me what the root of the concerns were was very effective.”

In his campus-wide email, Wagner outlined four steps that he plans to take, which includes immediately refining certain policies, providing opportunities for difficult dialogues, starting a process to institutionalize identification, and reviewing and addressing social justice issues.

The SGA and College Council pledged in the statement, obtained by Campus Reform, to stand in solidarity with the “threatened” communities of this incident and to also make emergency funds available to “any student organization looking to sponsor events in response to this incident.”

Zak Hudak, The Emory Wheel’s editor-in-chief,
    says that it shouldn’t be the role of an educational institution to tell students which opinions they are allowed to have.

“If we shut down the opposition, we lose our purpose as a university. We lose the courage to inquire, and we lose the ability to engage with the contention that we will encounter outside of the Emory community,” Hudak argued.

Emory student gov. pledges ?emergency funds? to help those ?in pain? over Trump chalking

Last edited by European Knight; 03-25-2016 at 08:54 AM.

What have our children become? scarred of a chalked name on cement. But not freedom of speech.

You know what? I think the complaining students are the ones who did this as a publicity stunt. Look at the chalk marks "stand against hatred" and then look at the Trump and Trump 2016. I think the same person wrote them all. "stand against hatred" is a common theme of Trump Protesters NOT Trump Supporters. Look at the T's and the R's. Same writer.

The whole stunt is a fraud, in my opinion. What do you all think?

I hope they get these people on camera.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I think that;

The organization that has appeared to lead this ridiculous drama in order to gain attentions and some press coverage is the The Emory Latino Student Organization It is no surprise that foreign students that are reaping the benefits of citizenship due to an illegal Presidential edict would feel threatened by a President that would enforce our laws instead of allowing them to continue their free ride on the US taxpayer. A good question would be how many of these "students" are DACA and how many years did they attend US schools for a free education and get fed three meals a day by the USDA, including sumers, while their parents received government assistance AND held a job. It is disingenuous of the media to skip over the background of the students that are protesting. they have an agenda, similar to the South Americans that are claiming refugee status from countries that we are giving foreign dollars to.

This is just another media hyped pro illegal alien sideshow fueled by the left wing media.

Students terrified by 'Trump 2016' chalk drawings

By Todd Starnes
    Published March 24, 2016
    FoxNews.com

Emory University in Atlanta is under siege at this hour from a chalk-wielding Donald Trump supporter who caused a massive outbreak of micro-aggressions among frightened students.

Terrified collegians are hunkered down in their safe spaces – traumatized by whoever wrote “Trump 2016” and “Accept the Inevitable: Trump 2016” on campus sidewalks.

“That was a bit alarming,” one panicked student told The Emory Wheel. “What exactly is inevitable? Why does it have to be accepted?”

Another student whimpered that she did not feel safe.

“I’m supposed to feel comfortable and safe [here],” she told the campus paper. “But this man is being supported by students on our campus and our administration shows that they, by their silence, support it as well…I don’t deserve to feel afraid at my school.”
    The Emory Latino Student Organization posted a Facebook message calling the drawing “an act of cowardice.”

“They did not do this merely to support the presidential candidate, but to promote the hate and discrimination that goes along with him,” they wrote.

Oh, the humanity!

Dozens of students protested the chalk drawings in the university’s quad – demanding the administration take action against the pro-Trump supporter.

“You are not listening! Come speak to us, we are in pain,” students shouted as reported by the campus newspaper. “It is our duty to fight for our freedom. It is our duty to win. We must love each other and support each other. We have nothing to lose but our chains.”
    I’m not a clinical psychologist, but those kids are freaking nuts, folks.

Emory University President Jim Wagner later met with the protestors and acknowledged in an email that they had voice “genuine concern and pain in the face of this perceived intimidation.”

“I cannot dismiss their expression of feelings and concern as motivated only by political preference or over-sensitivity,” he wrote in an email to students. “Instead, the students with whom I spoke heard a message, not about political process or candidate choice, but instead about values regarding diversity and respect that clash with Emory’s own.”

President Wagner vowed to launch an investigation and round up the pro-Trump graffiti artists, the newspaper reported.
    He said if the individuals are students they will go through a conduct violation process and if they are not students they will face trespassing charges.

Meanwhile, Fox Sports reports that the university’s student government association is providing “emergency counseling for students triggered by the Trump 2016 campus chalkings.”

That’s actually not a bad idea. Based upon my observations there are many students at Emory University in dire need of professional help.

The student newspaper also took a few jabs at Mr. Trump – calling him “an offensive man” who has made “racist, sexist and xenophobic statements.”

Mr. Trump is also a close friend to New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick – but that’s a topic for another day.

But Editor-in-Chief Zak Hudak also defended free speech and suggested that the protesters should be allowed to protest and the chalkers should be allowed to chalk.

“If we shut down the opposition, we lose our purpose as a university,” he opined. “We lose the courage to inquire, and we lose the ability to engage with the contention that we will encounter outside of the Emory community.”

Ironically, there was no outrage from liberal students or the university administration or the campus newspaper in 2014 when protesters drew chalk outlines of bodies during a Black Lives Matter demonstration.

I reckon at Emory University black lives do matter, but the lives of Trump supporters do not.

It’s unclear at this point when the unrest at Emory will subside. It may be necessary for Georgia’s governor to call out the National Guard.

And there are unconfirmed reports that a FEMA caravan was spotted traveling South on Interstate 75 – with piles of baby blankets and crates of pacifiers.

But a source at the Centers for Disease Control tells me there are grave concerns that what happened at Emory University is not an anomaly.

And they fear that if the Republicans nominate Donald Trump – it could spawn an epidemic of micro-aggressions on university campuses across the United States.

This has been a Fox News Alert.
    http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/...-drawings.html

Here are the "students" and their left wing handlers that have put on this little show. In my opinion, they nothing but a a bunch of mewling manipulators. It is the typical open borders gimme people that have an agenda that we have witnessed far too often. Perhaps they would feel safer in their home countries if the strain of being here is too much for them...Check out the size of this well publicized demonstration.. More Bernie Sanders supporters? IMO

Emory Students Express Discontent With Administrative Response to Trump Chalkings

By Sam Budnyk -
    March 22 2016 | 9:03 am

College sophomore Jonathan Peraza leads chants outside the Emory Administration Building. / Julia Munslow, Executive Editor

UPDATE (3/22 at 9:49 p.m.) Scroll down for the original article:

The following day, University President James W. Wagner, as well as representatives from College Council (CC) and Student Government Association (SGA) sent emails to the Emory community to address student concerns and responses. In his University-wide email, Wagner wrote that he intends to implement “immediate refinements to certain policy and procedural deficiencies, regular and structured opportunities for difficult dialogues, a formal process to institutionalize identification, review and [the] addressing of social justice opportunities and issues and a commitment to an annual retreat to renew our efforts.” Wagner added in his email that the previous day’s chalkings represented “values regarding diversity and respect that clash with Emory’s own.”

In the joint email sent on behalf of CC and SGA, representatives wrote that they “remain unapologetically dedicated to inclusion, diversity and equity,” and that both institutions will stand in solidarity with any Emory students who have encountered a lack of safety and support. To provide Emory students an opportunity to discuss such support and inclusivity on Emory’s campus, SGA will hold office hours on Thursday, March 24 from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. and CC will hold office hours on Thursday from 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m.

According to the Dobbs University Center’s (DUC) Posting Policy, chalking must be reserved and approved through Emory’s campus reservation service, 25Live. The Posting Policy says that: chalk cannot be on columns or walls, it must be done on horizontal, ground surfaces and areas where rain can easily wash it away. Failure to comply with these policies results in a clean up fee. Chalking also may only remain for 48 hours. After this time, another group can chalk, if they reserve their chalking through 25Live.

The DUC’s Posting Policy also points out that the DUC is guided by the University’s policy on open expression, and any member of the Emory community who violates the open expression of others will be held in violation of said policy.

According to Emory University’s Open Expression Policy 8.14.5.8, “nonpersonal protests” such as chalking, should follow “all applicable flyer posting policies and banner reservation rules.” It also states that “no nonpersonal protests will be denied because of the content” of the display as long as they falls within the law, and that members of the community who “deface the open expression of others” are also violating this policy.

The article will be updated as information becomes available.

Students protested yesterday at the Emory Administration Building following a series of overnight, apparent pro-Donald Trump for president chalkings throughout campus.

Roughly 40 students gathered shortly after 4:30 p.m. in the outdoors space between the Administration Building and Goodrich C. White Hall; many students carried signs featuring slogans such as “Stop Trump” or “Stop Hate” and an antiphonal chant addressed to University administration, led by College sophomore Jonathan Peraza, resounded “You are not listening! Come speak to us, we are in pain!” throughout the Quad. Peraza opened the door to the Administration Building and students moved forward towards the door, shouting “It is our duty to fight for our freedom. It is our duty to win. We must love each other and support each other. We have nothing to lose but our chains.”

Students protested apparent pro-Donald Trump chalkings throughout campus. / Julia Munslow, Executive EditorAfter approximately ten minutes outside from the start of the demonstration, the gathered students were ushered into the Quad-facing entrance to the Administration Building and quickly filled a staircase to continue their demonstration. Pausing in the staircase, a few students shared their initial, personal reactions to the chalkings.

“I’m supposed to feel comfortable and safe [here],” one student said. “But this man is being supported by students on our campus and our administration shows that they, by their silence, support it as well … I don’t deserve to feel afraid at my school,” she added.

A short time later, students moved into the Henry L. Bowden Board Room, surrounding the long table that dominates its center, the students themselves surrounded by portraits of Emory University’s former presidents.

“What are we feeling?” Peraza asked those assembled. Responses of “frustration” and “fear” came from around the room, but individual students soon began to offer more detailed, personal reactions to feelings of racial tension that Trump and his ideology bring to the fore.

“How can you not [disavow Trump] when Trump’s platform and his values undermine Emory’s values that I believe are diversity and inclusivity when they are obviously not [something that Trump supports]” one student said tearfully. “Banning Muslims? How is that something Emory supports?” asked yet another.

University President James W. Wagner, who had been standing just inside the threshold of the door, had been called into the board room by students and listened at the head of the table while they described how the appearance of the chalkings made them feel. He addressed several questions throughout the time in the board room, including “Why did the swastikas [on the AEPi house in Fall 2014] receive a quick response while these chalkings did not?” to which Wagner replied that they “represented an outside threat” and clarified that it was a second set of swastikas that received a swift response from the University. “What do we have to do for you to listen to us?” students asked Wagner directly, to which he asked, “What actions should I take?” One student asked if Emory would send out a University-wide email to “decry the support for this fascist, racist candidate” to which Wagner replied, “No, we will not.” One student clarified that “the University doesn’t have to say they don’t support Trump, but just to acknowledge that there are students on this campus who feel this way about what’s happening … to acknowledge all of us here.”

University President James W. Wagner listens to students. / Julia Munslow, Executive Editor

Other students asked for improving diversity in the “higher positions” of the University, including the Board of Trustees and the faculty in general who should not be simply “diversity sprinkles” to improve statistics, as one student described it.

Grievances were not restricted to shortcomings of the administration. “[Faculty] are supporting this rhetoric by not ending it,” said one student, who went on to say that “people of color are struggling academically because they are so focused on trying to have a safe community and focus on these issues [related to having safe spaces on campus].”

While Wagner initially stated that he would not be writing a University-wide email regarding Trump, after over an hour of discussion in the board room, he appeared to have decided to begin working on an email concerned with at least the chalkings, at which point he gently wrapped up the conversation so that he could begin drafting it.

Julia Munslow, Executive Editor

Assistant Vice President for Community Suzanne Onorato, who was also present during the protest and suggested that she would look into hosting a forum for those involved, agreed with Wagner’s sentiments. “I think it’s wonderful that students are taking a stand for something that they’re passionate about, for something that’s so much about themselves — and we want to support that,” she said in an interview with the Wheel.

The chalkings that generated such controversy appeared overnight throughout Emory’s campus. College junior Harpreet Singh said that, initially, he did not find the chalkings significant. “I saw one big one, ‘Trump 2016,’ so I thought it was an isolated incident and I didn’t think much of it,” he said. “I thought, ‘Okay, it’s just a guy who wants to write whatever he wants to believe in for his political campaign.’ I was like, ‘Okay, I’m fine with that, to a certain extent.’”

Assistant Vice President for Community Suzanne Onorato addresses the students. / Julia Munslow, Executive Editor

Singh reported having seen multiple chalkings that read “Trump 2016” between Cox Hall Bridge and the Dobbs University Center (DUC). “What I also saw on the steps near Cox [Hall] Bridge was ‘Accept the Inevitable: Trump 2016,’” he said. “That was a bit alarming. What exactly is the inevitable? Why does it have to be accepted?”

Trump chalking rubbed away. / Julia Munslow, Executive Editor

The University will review footage “up by the hospital [from] security cameras” to identify those who made the chalkings, Wagner told the protesters. He also added that if they’re students, they will go through the conduct violation process, while if they are from outside of the University, trespassing charges will be pressed.

Organization and coordination of the protest appears to have fermented in individual student groups independently of one another. Singh, who participated in the protests, also had a part in their planning. While he said that each group or community held their own discussions on the chalkings over social media, he noted that “[he] also reached out to the Muslim community” and that several of these students attended the gathering.

Julia Munslow, Executive Editor

While the University has not released an official response as of press time, Donald Trump obviously remains a flashpoint for many students, but according to Singh there is comfort to be found for those who feel oppressed. “For the students, it’s reassuring to see how they are able to voice out their opinions and, although it might be safe or uncomfortable, we know that we have a community behind us, whether that be the Latin[x] community, the Muslim community or the black student community — there are pools of safety we can go to,” Singh said.

http://emorywheel.com/emory-students...ump-chalkings/

Funny! I think the pained students did the chalking as a publicity stunt. No one in the Anti-Trump is who they say they are and none of their motives and concerns are legitimate.

Everyone who is against Donald Trump is only against him for 2 reasons: immigration and trade.

I read an article today in Vanity Fair that Wall Street is having apoplexy over Trump and coming to terms with the fact that he'll be the nominee, so they will as they've always done support the Democrat in their pocket which in this year is Hillary Clinton. I would post the article but Frank Luntz who met with them used the F Bomb at least 6 or 7 times and the Wall Street subject used the H and GD words, so the article about Donald Trump whom the Republican Establishment is rejecting because of his "vulgarity", is unfortunately too vulgar and profane to post on ALIPAC.

Reminds me of something another poster here posted about "double-standards". The hypocrisy seems to run high in the world of wealthy elites. Donald Trump is actually the rare exception. Maybe that's one of the reason so many of us like him.

Here's a link to the Vanity Fair article for anyone who wants to read it:

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/...h-donald-trump

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Here is the article.
    MARCH 24, 2016 8:30 AM

Wall Street Finally Comes to Terms with Donald Trump

BY WILLIAM D. COHAN

During a recent luncheon at the glitzy Hunt & Fish Club on West 44th Street, in Manhattan, Frank Luntz, the renowned political consultant and pollster, offered a group of influential Wall Street bankers—a deep-pocketed array of politically connected hedge-fund managers, finance vice-chairmen, and private-equity mini-moguls—a shocking dose of reality about the 2016 presidential election. While playing a video that documented some of Donald Trump’s greatest hits—his dismissal of Marco Rubio as “Little Marco,” for instance, and the suggestion that neurosurgeon Ben Carson had “a pathological temperament”—Luntz stopped the tape.

Luntz has continuously noted that he has no preference in this election, but he pointedly explained that he had never before seen a politician like Trump. He then walked through the litany of the Trump horribilis: how he had made fun of the physical disability of a New York Times reporter; how he called Mexicans rapists and said that John McCain wasn’t a war hero; and how he suggested that Carson had the same traits as a child molester. And yet Trump was moving ever closer to becoming the presidential nominee of the Republican Party.

It was one thing for the American people and the media to misjudge Trump. But how could Wall Street, which often accurately foresees everything from the price of a barrel of oil to the price of a share of Google, have missed this phenomenon?

Indeed, the travails of Anthony Scaramucci, a hedge-fund manager at SkyBridge Capital, are a useful Baedeker to Wall Street’s collective journey through the minefield of the 2016 election. Scaramucci, an avowed but moderate Republican, was an early and enthusiastic supporter of Scott Walker, the controversial Republican governor of Wisconsin. When Walker quit the presidential race last September, Scaramucci switched his support—and his ability to corral significant political donations—to Jeb Bush. Then Bush dropped out of the race, in February.

Now, the Mooch, as he is affectionately known on the Street, is left scratching his head, having underestimated Trump from the start. He shared his frustration with the lunch crowd at the Hunt & Fish Club, of which he is a part owner. “I’m going to say one last thing to the Democrats here, because I really don’t want Trump to be president, so I want you to listen very carefully, O.K.?” he said. “He was underestimated by Walker and his team. He was mis-underestimated—which is a George W. Bush word and which doesn’t exist—he was mis-underestimated by the Jeb Bush team. Now he’s been completely mis-underestimated by the entire Republican Party. And when she”—referring to Hillary Clinton—“talks about him, she sounds and smells like she’s already underestimating him. So I’m just giving you guys a heads up. Do not underestimate the guy.”

The Mooch, who also hosts the revival of the Wall Street Week television show on the Fox Business Network, said he now believes that Trump could indeed be president. “I didn’t believe that three months ago,” he continued. “Listen, I ran out of holidays. I said on TV he was going to be out on Labor Day. I said he was going to be out on Thanksgiving. I said he was going to be out on Christmas. I ran out of goddamned holidays!”

For his part, Luntz said that Wall Streeters could be forgiven for mis-underestimating Trump. After all, they have had little interaction with the people who now support him. His supporters don’t wear nice suits with expensive ties. They may eat at hunting and fishing clubs, but not ones that serve a Kosher rib eye for $61.

Yet it remains a baffling aspect of Trump’s political appeal that so many working-class people have put their faith in a multi-billionaire who does exhibit such familiarity with those sensual and aesthetic pleasures. During an August Twitter spar with Trump, Luntz proffered an explanation to Politico. Trump, he said, is “delivering a big ‘**** you’ to the elites in America. And that resonates on both sides. But ‘**** you’ doesn’t solve anything. ‘**** you’ doesn’t make life any better. ‘**** you’ makes you feel good, but it doesn’t get you where you need to go. ‘**** you’ doesn’t make America strong. ‘**** you’ doesn’t solve anything.” (Luntz told Vanity Fair that he regrets his use of language, but stands by his analysis.)

In this election cycle, Wall Street finds itself with a paucity of options. As much as the industry seems to abhor Trump, it dislikes Ted Cruz and his brand of holier-than-thou zealotry even more. As for John Kasich, who worked at Lehman Brothers for seven years until it filed for bankruptcy, in September 2008, the calculus is simpler: he’s just a bad bet. Nor do many on Wall Street have much fealty to Hillary Clinton. Despite accepting $675,000 from Goldman Sachs in exchange for answering some questions in 2013, candidate Clinton has responded to the surge of populism in her party by lambasting Wall Street at every turn.

Luntz showed a video of phrases that Hillary uses in her speeches superimposed upon phrases that Bill Clinton used in his speeches back in the day. Shockingly, they were nearly identical. This perceived lack of authenticity is part of her problem. Clinton’s challenge “is not because of Benghazi,” he told the lunch crowd. “It’s not because of Bill. It’s because of a lack of authenticity. . . . Her biggest enemy isn’t the Republicans. Her biggest enemy is her.”

Wall Street can vacillate between supporting Democrats and Republicans, but in the end it always likes to back a winner. And given the impending reality of its current political Sophie’s choice, it is now throwing its considerable support behind Clinton. Perhaps surprisingly, that makes a lot of sense. Not only is the alternative so heinous, but in my experience, most Wall Streeters are, at the rank-and-file level, actually Democrats. “Seems like we are headed for a Secretary Clinton versus Donald Trump showdown,” says Robert Wolf, the C.E.O. of 32 Advisors and a longtime confidant of Barack Obama, “but it feels like the secretary’s path seems more certain to me.”

While Wolf is “not certain” how Wall Street feels about Trump, he feels confident that business leaders will end up throwing their “full support” behind Hillary Clinton. “Most will align with her policies on immigration, education, infrastructure, climate change, and the future of the Supreme Court,” he says. “I am not sure the business community has yet to figure out how to view Trump as the G.O.P. nominee since he hasn’t really shown any granularity to his policy vision and it has been more rhetoric.”

Luntz left the group with the parting thought that Trump could win in November, and was not to be underestimated, or even mis-underestimated. The shell-shocked 1-percenters filed out of the restaurant, into the afternoon sunlight. Having nothing whatsoever to do with the delicious meal, everyone seemed a little sick to their stomachs.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/03/wall-street-finally-comes-to-terms-with-donald-trump

Thank you Newmexican. I see the website blocked out the vulgarity. Good!

Students offered 'emergency' counseling for Trump chalkings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTTIufr00e0