Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie

No one can sell me on the idea that Spanish is superior to English.

Dixie
    You have my vote. They can take that CR__ back south with them when we give them the boot.
    The first requisite of a good citizen in this republic of ours is that he shall be able and willing to pull his own weight.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Dixie wrote:

No one can sell me on the idea that Spanish is superior to English.
    I don't like Spanish and have no desire to learn to speak it fluently. I do speak and understand quite a bit of Spanish because I took four semesters of it in college (because it is the easiest of all the foreign languages to learn, and I was lazy).

But I don't like Spanish and find it unpleasant to listen to and speak. Besides, what on earth good would speaking Spanish do me, anyway? So what if I can converse with all the poor, uneducated invaders?? I have nothing to say to them anyway (well, except GO HOME!!!).
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".

Quote Originally Posted by andyt
    It is described as a romance language, but the version I hear is about as romantic as Hillary in a thong.
    Oh, dear God, andyt - that's a horrible image

Spanish speaking job requirements...........

Here in Los Angeles a job applicant must speak spanish in order to get job. I am Native American and 99.9% of Mexicans assume because I have brown skin that I speak their language, I hate that.

Take a look at the Los Angeles Times on-line classified section, almost all job postings require that the candidate be bi-lingual, why should I have to learn how to speak a foreign language in order to qualify for a job in my "own" english speaking country?

Thank god I have skills and a education to rise above the mundane, unskilled jobs that are filled primarily by illegal workers who work for peanuts, driving down the prevailing wage for many industries.

I used to make a decent living working construction, then the illegals came in and took over the industry. The owner of the firm I worked for laid-off all his American born, english speaking skilled workers and replaced them with illegals, paying them a fourth of what he was paying us.

That is one reason why I loathe illegal immigrants.
    They killed the once lucrative construction industry here in L.A. anyways.

TS77

This is what I was talkng about...........

Driver/Warehouse Tech
    Assist with medical equip deliveries, installations, and gen'l whse responsibilities. Spanish speaking a plus. $9-$10 to start. Torrance. Call 310-533-4840

Housekeeper
    Housekeeping, cooking, shopping, driving (good DMV), home management. Must be legally in US.

SOCIAL SERVICES PERSONAL ATTENDANT

We need reliable, caring people to work in our Supported Living programs for adults with developmental disabilities. We offer competitive pay, benefits and paid training. We also welcome Bilingual, English and Spanish speaking candidates.

BANK TELLER
    ESSENTIAL QUALITIES AND ATTRIBUTES
    Excellent Communication Skills.
    Bilingual helpful.

CSR
    Excel,Word,Organized,Spanish a+, P&C license a+. Administrative duties. Great working atmosphere. e-mail resume agent@mossinsurance.

CSR
    Light customer service
    Other duties as needed
    Computer literate
    MS Excel & Word
    Some accounting background
    Spanish Preferred

Telephone based Customer Service
    We are looking for a smart, upbeat, team player as a full-time customer service representative. Your responsibilities will include incoming calls, outbound calls to existing customers, processing orders, coordinating with our sales team, and some clerical duties.You should have a professional phone voice, great follow through, a positive attitude, and the ability to multi-task.Experience with Act!, MAS/90, or Microsoft Office helps. Bi-Lingual Spanish is preferred.

Insurance
    Customer Support Rep.

Bilingual Eng/Spanish
    Microsft, P&C lic. exp
    reqd. Call 562-925-3738
    or Fax 562-925-3740

Just a few examples taken from a local newspaper here in L.A.

TS77

Eng. vs Spanish

d5:
    I think this an absolutely terrific idea, and one which might find
    unexpected widespread acceptance, especially among smaller, family-
    type establishments! In my small Tx city, for examply, an assurance of
    receiving service in English might even stand out now as a "marketing
    novelty" (or "edge") in an area which, within 10 short years, has become
    mostly polyglot.

You might, however, consider removing the "Liberty Bell" classification
    as too restrictive, and one which might open an otherwise excellent
    organization up to costly legal challenges. Perhaps the "Liberty Bell"
    could become the general symbol of the "English Commerce non-profit
    Org." you envision itself, the one used to designate all establishments
    which meet the criteria that guarantee, "English is Spoken Here!".
    Somehow, it seems friendlier that an Eagle when one is looking for a good
    place to eat (or shop)!

In the past, such an organization could have been promoted through
    local Chambers of Commerce. However, we know that the U.S. Chamber
    of Commerce is one of the primarly promoters of illegal alien "amnesty"
    and/or "guest worker" programs, so it would take some independent
    organization and funding to get such a program started now. However,
    that surely doesn't mean it couldn't be done, especially if started on a
    small, experimental scale at first with some good "public relations"! See
    how quickly the word of Hazelton, PA's new "anti-illegal alien" City Ordinances spead from small city to city across the entire country!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by CrocketsGhost
    I have spent quite a bit of time in Spain, and Mexican is scarcely recognizable as the same language.
    I spent a summer in Barcelona and that is OH SO TRUE!
    "Remember the Alamo!"

Re: Spanish speaking job requirements...........

Quote Originally Posted by TALLSOLDIER77

Take a look at the Los Angeles Times on-line classified section, almost all job postings require that the candidate be bi-lingual, why should I have to learn how to speak a foreign language in order to qualify for a job in my "own" english speaking country?
    tallsoldier...
    I live in Alabama and it has started happening here also. My brother was turned down a supervisor's position because he speak NO spanish and all of those who would have been working under him spoke NO English. I see in the paper also that bilingual is a plus for employment, and I find it unfair. It is only to communicate with the illegals because everyone legal/citizens speak English.
    "Remember the Alamo!"

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011