Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by crazybird
    with even one drop of hispanic blood or whose parent/grandparent was born in any latin country to apply for it.
    In discussing exactly what is hispanic, some had said France was considered in the Latin countries. Does that count?
    Good question crazybird. I used the eligibility requirements required of the Hispanic Scholarship Fund:

Do I have to be Hispanic/Latino to apply?

Yes. You or your family must be descended from at least one of the following countries: Spain, Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru, Argentina, Chile, Bolivia, Uruguay, Paraguay, Cuba, Puerto Rico, or the Dominican Republic. Students from Brazil are eligible to apply. However, students from Belize, Guyana, Suriname and French Guiana are not considered Hispanic.
    http://www.hsf.net/Scholarships.aspx?id=1196
    I wonder if this $70 million is in addition to the Gates Millenium Scholars program they already have for "minority students?"

The Gates Millennium Scholars (GMS)
    Funded by a grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, was established in 1999 to provide outstanding African American, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian Pacific Islander American, and Hispanic American students with an opportunity to complete an undergraduate college education in all discipline areas and a graduate education for those students pursuing studies in mathematics, science, engineering, education, public health or library science. The goal of GMS is to promote academic excellence and to provide an opportunity for thousands of outstanding students with significant financial need to reach their fullest potential.

The Gates Millennium Scholars program is available to graduating high school seniors. It provides substantial scholarship awards to exceptional high school seniors for study at the college of their choice. Eligible applicants must have a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale, demonstrated leadership skills, and significant financial need.

The Deadline for Submission of Nomination Materials is as follows:

All paper applications must be postmarked by January 12, 2009.
    All online applications must be submitted by January 12, 2009, 11:59 p.m. EST.

More information and applications can be found at www.gmsp.org.
    Please email your questions to gmsinfo@hsf.net.
    It sounds more like this $70 millions will not be given out as scholarships:

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation said it will give nearly $70 million in grants to aid Hispanic education efforts concentrating in New York City, New Mexico and California.
    Sounds like they'll be giving the money to "organizations" so the "organizations" will be able to "help" more young people (one ethnic group only) get through college.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

so I got through college the old fashioned way -- by working my way through.
    Same here.....there weren't grants and you couldn't even get a loan till your Jr. year.....you had to prove through your grades you were a good risk. Your best hope for a free ride was a scholarship and they weren't handing those out like candy......or through the service. I've always managed to be at those brinks in history where I never got the perks. They came out after I was done or I didn't qualify because I was white. I'm still waiting for the millions and the riches and fame I've supposidly been enjoying all these years.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by jjmm
    Geez, where was Gates when I was trying to get through school? I had a deadbeat dad who woudln't give me a dime -- so I got through college the old fashioned way -- by working my way through.

Why can't THESE people work their way through? I had NOTHING as a kid. My parents gave me a room and a bed. I earned the rest.

They've all got rooms and a bed. They've got access to our public schools. Why isn't that enough for them??

Boy you can say that again.

I worked my rear end off going through college.

Now I have to pay my loans back.

These people who come here from another Country always expect a handout. They think America owes them, because of "their land"
    was taken. BS.
    Proud to be an AMERICAN

Quote Originally Posted by crazybird
    Crazybird, don't you know all European type people are rich and don't need any assistance???
    Ever since I was born, I've been instructed to move over and get out of the way. I did benefit from a few breaks being a woman....but that doesn't count for anything anymore either. Especially an old one.

I love that bird. It funny all the time I look at it, I have to chukle.
    Proud to be an AMERICAN

[quote="Felipe Calderón, Presidente of Mexico"]MEXICO CITY, Sept. 2, 2007 — “I have said that Mexico does not stop at its border, that wherever there is a Mexican, there is Mexico.â€

Does this mean that if there is a Mexican national living in any town/city/state in the U.S., that town/city/state is then Mexico, therefore ALL citizens of that town/city/state can apply for the grant??????
    LOL......could be a loophole to look into.

Or maybe we all change our names to an hispanic sir name and let them go through the DNA cost of proving otherwise.

Probably many illegal Mexicans in my state of New Mexico will probably racing to get the money Bill Gates is giving away. I know several American born Hispanics who enjoy using their race to get free money for college. I'm an American Hispanic and I financed my college education through academic merit scholarships and I'm digusted that I have relatives who feel being Hispanic is a merit. Right now I'm thinking of attending law school but in the research I have done I see countless scholarships for Hispanic law students. I keep hoping to find scholarships that look academic accomplishments and goals rather than race. I'm also considering taking out loans to go law school.
    ProEnglish:The English Language Advocates
    http://www.proenglish.org/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12