Quote Originally Posted by JohnB2012
NJ should have some sort of residency requirement for tags and licenses. Most states have something anywhere between 30-90 days you have to register your vehicle and get a license in that state.

I think the cops may get into a probable cause issue here though. In other words, they can't pull someone over just because they have out of state tags.
Not true. Not only did I get pulled over for having Texas plates on my Texas car when I was staying at my Ft. Lauderdale condo about ten years ago, but the officer was a real jerk when I explained that I spent more than half of the year at my Texas home. He wrote me a ticket and was such a jerk in court that the judge had to reprimand him. As it happens, I won the case when I pointed out that changing my registration to Florida would then subject me to the same problems when I returned to Texas six weeks later.

Anyhow, there was no probable cause issue and it was never disputed that the only reason that the officer pulled me over is that he had seen me leaving my condo from time to time over several months with Texas plates. Again, it was simply the fact that I was able to prove that I owned a primary residence in Texas and was still paying utility bills there that got me off the hook.