Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

There's no need to cook the books. Bill Clinton, a.k.a. Slick, got two terms doing the same thing. 'Bama's whole campaign and continuous campaigning is obviously channeling Slick.

What both do/did so brilliantly is make speeches that touch on every point that could score well with the electorate. No worries about internal contradictions. People only hear what they're concerned about. Throw in a tax cut, blame others for failures, and swear to put pressure on those responsible.

Those eminent British philosophers Dire Straits expressed this as, Money for nothing and chicks for free.

there's no need to cook the books. Bill Clinton, a.k.a. Slick, got two terms doing the same thing. 'Bama's whole campaign and continuous campaigning is obviously channeling Slick.

A couple of big differences. Clinton backed off of health care reform, Obama won't. Clinton moved more to the center, eventually even signing a Welfare Reform Bill proposed by the Republicans. If Obama moves at all, it will more to the left. Clinton at least made the pretense of coordinating and cooperating with the opposition, Obama will not. Clinton's overall approval ratings pretty much stayed near or above 60 per cent. Obama's are already below 50 per cent (around 47 per cent in Rasmussen's poll) and more likely to go down further rather than up. Lastly, Clinton was able to at least project some empathy with Americans at large ( "I feel your pain"), and as noted earlier did not continue to press a largely unpopular agenda. Obama has not backed off his unpopular agenda, and in fact is pressing on witht full force despite what polling data tells him and despite the results of 3 major elections (Va, NJ and Massachusetts) which were at least bellwethers on his agenda.

So he can channel Clinton, but I do not believe he has a prayer of duplicating Clinton. I believe his agenda is doomed as are his prospects for re-election. Flipping off those whom you wish to persuade and insulting those whose support you seek are not part of any program for success that I have ever heard of.
    "We have met the enemy, and they is us." - POGO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12