Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

If I was going to go back, I want to go back far enough to PREVENT the mess we are in. The 50's is not nearly far enough.
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Senior Member AmericanElizabeth's Avatar
    1920's was a time I would have loved to live in. Life was really innocent (except that "mafia" thing going on in Chicago, but hey, my family has all been out here in Washington and Oregon). People still farmed a good deal of their own food, most lived in the country, some still even used wagons and horses and mainly, our government stayed out of our business.

Some has radios, most did not, no TV, no filthy trashy shows being advertised, Hollywood was fairly new, and yet clean.

I know I would not pick the 70's, was a kid in it, and it was not really all that innocent, the 80's was ok, and most of TV and movies were ok and upbeat, yet it was modern Hollywood, so...However, if I picked the era based on family, then the 70's, so my father, grandmother and uncle were yet alive (all three died from COPD, smoking related).

I was born in 67, and thought the 60's overall were fairly good, yet the beginning of the end for this nation.

For me, there was a lot of loss for my family through the decades. My parents came from broken families, my father spent part of his childhood in an orphanage, so one of my "wishes" would have been (this is something my kids and I were talking about one night, making far-fetched wishes) to travel back in time, and somehow have had an effect on both of their families, in order for them to have had better lives, and I could have known both of my grandfathers, my parents could have had their fathers around, and their lives could have been happier as children.

To be honest, that would have made their lives, and the lives of my siblings and myself happier, and I believe that would have been the "good old days" I would have been nostalgic for.
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Give me any of them.

Fifties, sixties, seventies, eighties. But nineties? No. Stop right there. That is the decade that reminds me of the downfall of my country. Nothing was ever the same after that.
    I hear you on that. I was in my 20's in the 90's and I really don't have a lot of "warm fuzzies" looking back on that decade.

I know I would not pick the 70's, was a kid in it, and it was not really all that innocent, the 80's was ok, and most of TV and movies were ok and upbeat, yet it was modern Hollywood,
    My favorite show of ALL time is Magnum PI. I loved how he didn't always get the girl and his friends were always there to lend a hand. The characters all seemed so perfect for thier parts. They were in perfect synchronicity with each other.

I think that we have "good old days" because we tend to idealize things in our mind's/memory's eye. Sometimes the memory of a good event becomes even greater than the actual event itself. I tend to idealize things in my mind. I have to be careful of this or I might end up like one of those older actors that sits in thier mansion all day watching old movies of themselves in thier younger days.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

IF I could not go back far enough to prevent things from happening, I would love to go back to my freshman year of high school, with the knowledge that I now have. There would have been different choices made in my life.
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Senior Member AmericanElizabeth's Avatar
    Gotcha there Cayla....lot's of choices to be made differently so lifes road might have been different.

However, on that note. Since I (and believe many here also do) believe that God makes no mistakes in the way He uses our mistakes to get us to where He wants. So if things could have been changed, would we be where we are now, and with who we are now? Unless our lives are really awful right now (personally) would we really want it all to be changed?

Sure, sometimes, the idea of people in our lives we no longer have around due to premature death, but I would not change too much.

If we are just talking about typical nostalgia....there is a lot, but it is always wrapped around times and places, and people that are no longer here, that is always the hard part, cannot seperate that out. Like camping as a family (parents and five other siblings), waking up to my dad (former Navy cook) making eggs, potatoes and Spam in a skillet, I hated Spam, but the fact that HE was making it, I would just pick the Spam out and toss it onto one of my brothers plates ........

Christmas mornings when my uncle and grandmother were there, my mother and grandmother preparing all the food, and my uncle and dad playing Pinochle listening to country western (the old stuff) on a radio.
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12