Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

IL: Dick Durbin on English as official language

I got a reply to a NumbersUSA fax I sent to my Senator (Mr. Dream Act himself), Boneheaded, Dirt Bag, Dick Durbin. In light of the fact that we are currently fighting this boneheads Dream Act / Amnesty, I thought I’d share his comments with you.

---------------------

May 12, 2009

Mr. Xxxx Xxxxxx
    123 Street Ave
    Here, IL 601xx

Dear Mr. Xxxxxx:

Thank you for contacting me about making English the official language of the United States. I appreciate hearing from you.

I understand your concerns about the use of English in the United States. It is important for all residents in our country to become proficient in English. The ability to speak and read English is required of those who desire to become naturalized citizens.

During immigration debates in the Senate, I have supported measures that declare English to be the common and unifying language of the United States and state that the federal government shall preserve and enhance the role of English as America's common language. At the same time, I do not support measures that limit the U.S. government's ability to communicate or provide materials in any language other than English.

I believe that our government should provide certain types of information in whatever languages are necessary to ensure that the information is successfully communicated. Current law cannot predict all the situations in which human life, public safety, civil rights, and national security would be preserved through the dissemination of information in multiple languages.

For example, if an unforeseen epidemic swept across the country, government agencies should be permitted and expected to distribute important information to everyone who may need it, be they tourists from Japan, farm workers from Mexico, or visiting dignitaries from Senegal.

Considerations such as these led me to oppose measures seeking to make English the "official" language of the U.S. government.

I recognize the primacy of English as our common and unifying language. At the same time, is also important that we respect each person's cultural heritage. Our country's rich cultural diversity has been a source of strength for our nation. In fact, with changes in the world economy and the increasing importance to U.S. businesses of exports, the ability to speak a foreign language has become a valuable skill and should not be looked down upon.

I will keep your views in mind should the Senate consider legislation in the future relating to the English language.

Again, thank you for sharing your concerns with me. Please feel free to keep in touch.

Sincerely,
    Richard J. Durbin
    United States Senator

RJD/bm

-------------------------------

[color=darkblue]Note, He said: “I have supported measures that declare English to be the common and unifying language of the United Statesâ€
    <div>&ldquo;There is no longer any Left or Right, there is only Tyranny or Liberty &rdquo;</div>

Gotta love a politician's talent for kind of agreeing with you, to lull you into complacency, while they do exactly what they think and the crap with the opinions of their constituents.
    Well I want all my communications translated into Australian click language, or at least the dialect used by the Udmurts--so figure that one out, Durbin.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

[color=darkblue]Funny, by the time I got done posting Durbin’s reply, I got my other Senators reply. Roland W. Burris: This is Obama’s replacement; you know; this is the same position replacement that got our Ex-Governor “Blagoâ€
    <div>&ldquo;There is no longer any Left or Right, there is only Tyranny or Liberty &rdquo;</div>

Gee, I wonder if I go to Russia or China etc and an emergency happened. Should I expect them to notify me, in english or French or German. Come on what a joke. What does having English the official language of the US have to do with foreigners and emergencies?

When they gave us the flu scare, panic, etc. from the WHO did they announce it in any other language here besides English? and why are they picking just Spanish when there are over 150 languages here in the United States....Durbin is another idiot with no more common sense than a slug!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

I am happy when some politico (or staff) has the caring to elaborate on the position of what my argument has been. I have gotten too many canned answers about how valuable my opinion is and how they will consider it when debating or voting on legislation. Some staffer is probably sitting there full time posting canned answers to every letter that comes in, and I will guarantee that few legislators even get informed what has been written. I suspect they get a bare-bones account: 47 percent pro, 39 percent con, and the rest we can't figure out what they are trying to say.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

For example, if an unforeseen epidemic swept across the country, government agencies should be permitted and expected to distribute important information to everyone who may need it, be they tourists from Japan, farm workers from Mexico, or visiting dignitaries from Senegal.
    Obama tried that bull with me. I've lived in tourist areas, hurricane evacuation areas, flood areas, tornado warnings, just got done with this flu thing and I have NEVER seen any information put out for any other language but Spanish. Same with notes home from school and the whole bit.

Emergency information is one thing, if they even actually did it.....but it doesn't address the issue of bi-lingual signs and areas of the country where you can't order a burger because they won't speak English. Making English OFFICIAL, doesn't make other languages illegal....but it clarifies exactly what is expected so one group isn't catered to while the rest are left out and it lets people know you are expected to learn just ONE language to live and work here and not a babbling free for all, where anything goes. I'm a citizen of this country, and in case of emergency, there's places where you can't find an English speaking person to answer a simple question. It's one think to feel a bit lost when you're a tourist in a foreign country, but not when you're a citizen of the country.

When they gave us the flu scare, panic, etc. from the WHO did they announce it in any other language here besides English?
    No. And when we have our severe weather alerts and tornado warnings, it's in no other foreign language but Spanish. Even when they have it in Spanish....they still have to have a "special" outreach to the hispanic community, but nothing about the rest. We have Koreans here, a Muslim community, alot from Pakistan, and they listed a bunch of others....but no "special" effort for them. We couldn't have a sign or wall big enough to print any of this information out for all the foreign languages spoken here. So it's a crock and just another excuse to cram Spanish down everyones throat.

Official English Organizations:

English First
    http://englishfirst.org/

ProEnglish
    http://www.proenglish.org/main/help.htm

U.S. English
    http://www.us-english.org/

For those who are not members of NumbersUSA:
    Take Action!
    1) Tell Congress to Pass the English Language Unity Act (H.R. 997) email:
    http://capwiz.com/proenglish/issues/ale ... d=12660406

2) Urge Your Senators to Pass the English Language Unity Act (S.991) email:
    http://capwiz.com/proenglish/issues/ale ... 6&queueid=[capwiz:queue_id]

Crazybird
    That is 100% correct when you say;
    “Making English OFFICIAL, doesn't make other languages illegal....but it clarifies exactly what is expectedâ€

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast