Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Indian Firm Refusing to Hire American Contractors

http://seeker.dice.com/olc/thread.jspa? ... 6&tstart=0

Indian Firm Refusing to Hire American Contractors
    Posted: Jan 28, 2009 10:12 AM Reply

I just started a contract at an Indian US-based software company that sells to big pharma. I was one of 40 candidates that were interviewed and 2 were picked.

An American buddy of mine also interviewed, and he got turned down because he said he has custody of his kids and can't work weekends. Plus they won't pay time and a half.

I started this week and found out that there are 8 developers on my team, all Indian. Some are GC holders, I think, but 3 were flown in from India on a H-1B or L1 to finish this death march of a project that has to be done by May 1.

How could this company, which is 75% percent Hindi, not find local developers in a state with 10% unemployment? Isn't this blatant discrimination and H1-B fraud?

What are my options? My buddy's recruiter is pressuring the PM (who is one a few Americans in the place) by saying that it doesn't make sense to pay to ship Jr. developers over here and work the contractors to death -- instead he should hire a few locals for the same amount of labor cost.

I will post daily updates on my blog:

http://www.itgrunt.com/

jc909

Re: Indian Firm Refusing to Hire American Contractors
    Posted: Jan 28, 2009 10:49 AM in response to: No2H1B Reply

Your buddy should sue for discrimination based on race/national origin. I don't think he'd have trouble demonstrating that in court, the bias would seem to be obvious.

ethernet_freak

Re: Indian Firm Refusing to Hire American Contractors
    Posted: Jan 28, 2009 11:46 AM in response to: No2H1B Reply

You should blame the spineless US politicians, not the opportunistic Indian entrepreneurs.

Wouldn't you move to another country if it offered much better pay and lax labor regulations?

Of course, most countries either don't offer a better job market than the US or they protect their jobs with a vengeance.

WE deserve what we get. When was the last time that Americans [massively] protested about anything? Too busy "Dancing with the Stars" and buying ipods.

No more.... Hire American First.....
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

WE deserve what we get. When was the last time that Americans [massively] protested about anything? Too busy "Dancing with the Stars" and buying ipods.
    That is a true statement. We often talk about that at work. Why Americans don't really have a huge display of numbers protesting what is wrong in America and the ongoing problem of ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION. That and the fact we are working!

But like some put it they have given up the fight since it seems to go nowhere except headaches and heartburn and losing ones temper.
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by uniteasone
    But like some put it they have given up the fight since it seems to go nowhere except headaches and heartburn and losing ones temper.
    Exactly. I have heard before "don't get so angry, you will have a heart attack". But since I inherited a strong heart from both sides of the family (it's built like a tank) this is really not an issue.

In 2000 I found out that there was alot of reason for limiting the arrival of undocumented tourists because witnesses had seen terrorist types hanging around airports. It was also rumored that they were getting ready to make some sort of violent strike against the US. Of course that strike turned out to be 9-11. I was also told not to get angry or I will have a heart attack.

But if you are not allowed to get angry because foreigners are killing thousands of American citizens what kind of person are you?

How did American citizens decay and rot apart so badly? I remember telling an elderly individual after 9-11 that the country was still in danger because the US government still allowed anyone to walk right in whenever they wanted. Do you want to know what his reaction was? He was ecstatic! He was such a brain-washed anti-American Liberal that the thought of foreigners attacking the US actually made him happy!

Talk with someone at the US Department of Labor.

If they hired visa candidates, that should mean that they have already complied with US Dept of Labor rules -- like advertising the position for Americans to apply first.
    Steve
    Ohio Jobs & Justice PAC
    http://www.OJJPAC.org

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    Talk with someone at the US Department of Labor.

If they hired visa candidates, that should mean that they have already complied with US Dept of Labor rules -- like advertising the position for Americans to apply first.
    Do you have anymore info on that? I had read that George Bush changed the requirement for finding American citizens so H-1Bs could be hired right away without this requirement.