Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

It's not over yet !

This is from the other side.

From Dream Act Texas

Quote:
    Comments After the Vote on Cloture

This is Senator Reid's statement after cloture was voted down:

"Mr. President, I move to re-consider that matter. Mr. President, I would now tell all members here I've had a conversation with the distinguished Republican leader and we're going to make a decision in the next hour or as to what we are going to go to next. We were planning of course to going this cloture and the motion to proceed was not invoked there are a number of things we are talking about and we'll make that decision this afternoon."

A DREAM ACT student from Houston called Cornyn's office a few minutes ago and was told that Cornyn wanted to negotiate for "a graduation milestone and no federal financial aide (including loans)."
    <div align="center">" Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore "
    </div>

I have been reading similar posts on other sites. back to the phones boys and girls
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Personally, I don't feel that there is a snowball's chance in hell that it will come back anytime soon. Reid would have to bring it back anew again and he has been shot up with so many holes, he no longer has a clue. He's also got to make schedule room for it again. The bill today that didn't pass cloture is extremely unlikely to come back under it's same bill number because it would have to go through a "motion to reconsider"

Even though Harry Reid did file a "motion to reconsider" it is more of a standard procedural move (the same thing was done when the comprehensive amnesty bill was defeated in June). Botton line...it ain't gonna happen unless Harry Reid is diagnosed as insane (doing the same thing over and over again and expecting diferent results). Technically, Reid COULD bring it back but there would be a firestorm of negativity it he did. Harry would suffer extreme political consequences. Therefor, it will come back sometime, just not very likely not for a while (hopefully quite a while). Much of the information above was gleaned in a conversation I had with a staffer in Mitch McConnell's office and Senator Burr's office just a little while ago today.

Now, here's my disclaimer so I don't look like a fool if I'm wrong... "opinions expressed were gleaned by conversations with others and are not neccessarily those of the author and any errors, factual or otherwise, are the sole responsibility of others and not yours truly."
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I have found on a number of sites the time was set for 4:07 today eastern time, we may have missed it....can anyone double check?
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Lessons of the Dream Act defeat

Senate vote reveals staying power of illegal immigration issue

Susan Walsh / AP file
    24 OCTOBER 2007
    Updated: 33 minutes ago

Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont., who is up for re-election next year, said people in his state were "outraged" over the immigration bill the Senate rejected Wednesday.

WASHINGTON - The Senate rejected Wednesday an attempt to move ahead with a bill to allow illegal immigrants under age 30 to remain in the United States and gain legal status if they attend college or join the military.

The vote to move ahead on the Dream Act (the Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act), got 52 votes, eight short of the 60 needed.

Among those voting against moving ahead with the bill were eight Democrats, even though Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid appealed to his majority to back him.

But this was yet another case when the Democratic majority was not a true working majority. Senate rules require a supermajority of 60 to advance most bills.

The vote was a significant leading indicator for 2008 of the potency of illegal immigration as an election issue.

Implications for 2008

Illegal immigration remains at a legislative impasse — and that may be a good thing for GOP chances since the party’s base in the South and West tends to be vehemently opposed to any accommodation with illegal immigrants.

In his post-vote assessment, the Dream Act’s chief sponsor, Senate Democratic Whip Dick Durbin of Illinois said, “In a campaign year, it is a very difficult issue. If it’s tough this year, it’s tougher next year.â€

This is from Dream Act Texas

Wednesday, October 24, 2007
    Menendez is Discussing DREAM ACT Again 4:07 pm eastern

The DREAM ACT has come back. More information later.

Posted by Marie-Theresa Hernández at 3:07 PM 0 comments

Labels: DREAM Act, U.S. Senate
    <div align="center">" Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore "
    </div>

Is someone watching C-span?

Sen. Cornyn's office advised there are "a lot of senators who want a compromise bill."
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

All of america knows that any enforcement will be lie!! the government cam no longer be Trusted they are about to add fluff to get cloture passed but it will not be enforced!!
    the answer is NO DEAL!

Is it on again? anybody know for sure?

They're discussing the Farm Bill in the Senate. I just called Sen. Sessions' office and they don't know anything about the Dream bill being called back up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast