Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Jeb Bush: Many illegal immigrants come out of an ‘act of love’

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Jeb Bush: Many illegal immigrants come out of an ‘act of love’

Jeb Bush: Many illegal immigrants come out of an ‘act of love’

Comments

Former Florida governor Jeb Bush said Sunday that many who illegally come to the United States do so out of an "act of love" for their families and should be treated differently than people who illegally cross U.S. borders or overstay visas.
    Jeb Bush is a potential 2016 presidential candidate. (Wilfredo Lee/ AP)

The comments came during an event marking the 25th anniversary of the presidency of George H. W. Bush at the library and museum that bears the name of the Bush patriarch. The event was closed to reporters, but moderated by a Fox News anchor and portions of the event were later broadcast on the news network.
    Asked about immigration, Bush started by saying that a bipartisan bill passed by the Senate last year made "a good effort" at proposing ways to ensure that people overstaying visas leave the country.
    "A great country ought to know where those folks are and politely ask them to leave," he said, adding later that properly targeting people who overstay visas "would restore people's confidence" in the nation's immigration system.
    "There are means by which we can control our border better than we have. And there should be penalties for breaking the law," he added. "But the way I look at this -- and I'm going to say this, and it'll be on tape and so be it. The way I look at this is someone who comes to our country because they couldn’t come legally, they come to our country because their families -- the dad who loved their children -- was worried that their children didn’t have food on the table. And they wanted to make sure their family was intact, and they crossed the border because they had no other means to work to be able to provide for their family. Yes, they broke the law, but it’s not a felony. It’s an act of love. It’s an act of commitment to your family. I honestly think that that is a different kind of crime that there should be a price paid, but it shouldn’t rile people up that people are actually coming to this country to provide for their families."
    The comments clearly set Bush apart from other Republicans, especially some considering runs for president in 2016. Even Bush seemed to acknowledge that his position could cause him political trouble as he mulls whether to run for president.
    In 2012, Texas Gov. Rick Perry drew criticism for defending a law allowing illegal immigrants in Texas to pay in-state tuition by suggesting that people opposed to the measure were insensitive.

“If you say that we should not educate children who have come into our state for no other reason than they have been brought there by no fault of their own, I don’t think you have a heart,” Perry said during a GOP debate in Florida.
    The comments were later panned by Perry's Republican opponents.
    At the same event Sunday, Bush said he would make a decision by the end of this year about whether to run for president in 2016.

Ed O'Keefe covers Congress and politics for the Washington Post. He previously covered the 2008 and 2012 campaigns and reported on federal agencies and federal employees as author of The Federal Eye blog. Follow Ed on Twitter.

« Jeb Bush to make decision on 2016 by the end of this year

Also on Post Politics

Jeb Bush to make decision on 2016 by the end of this year

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...n-act-of-love/
    Last edited by Jean; 04-06-2014 at 10:00 PM.
    I'm old with many opinions few solutions.

I viewed this interview today and my first thought was why would the GOP give any thought to running this man unless they wish to lose again. The idea of illegal immigration being an "act of love" shows how out of touch someone born with a silver spoon in there mouth can be. What about the American citizen and the revenue loss to the American worker with this love immigration.

He still stands with Common Core, he also stated it's all about winning the election IMO it was a slap to those in the Tea Party,basically not show your hand(ideology) until the election is over and then you can act, sound familiar we have just witnessed that the past 5 years. Yep, just what America needs another progressive.

Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The way I look at this is someone who comes to our country because they couldn’t come legally, they come to our country because their families -- the dad who loved their children -- was worried that their children didn’t have food on the table. And they wanted to make sure their family was intact, and they crossed the border because they had no other means to work to be able to provide for their family. Yes, they broke the law, but it’s not a felony. It’s an act of love. It’s an act of commitment to your family. I honestly think that that is a different kind of crime that there should be a price paid, but it shouldn’t rile people up that people are actually coming to this country to provide for their families."
    Do we ourselves not have hungry children to feed? YES! Our poor people can't afford to go anywhere for help. There are many who fall between the cracks of getting help because they make a dollar or two above the poverty limit. More and more homeless are joining tent cities all across the Country. That dollar or two will not help! What gives an illegal the right to have a job that belongs to a citizen? What makes his hungry family more important than our own poor Americans? Oh it should indeed rile people up that illegals are coming here to provide for their families when they can not even provide for their own families. Yet we are the heartless ones???

To ignore the plight of Americas homeless and hungry in favor of catering to an illegal immigrant is unacceptable. No one should be that poor no matter where they are from, but if it comes down it and we can't help our own, then we have no business helping anyone else first.

“If you say that we should not educate children who have come into our state for no other reason than they have been brought there by no fault of their own, I don’t think you have a heart,” Perry said during a GOP debate in Florida.
    It is costing tax payers a fortune to educate children who never should have been here in the first place. It cost us for their education and whatever freebies they get along the way, healthcare, welfare, cheap housing, food stamps...As for the college educated, they are getting cheaper in state tuitions and taking up limited seats in our schools. Once they graduate, there will be more workers while we have millions of unemployed citizens. That takes away from a legal American citizen and it is neither fair nor right, yet WE are heartless??????

WE are heartless for looking out for our own? WE do have compassion for all people of all races, no matter who they are or where they are from, but when they come before one of our own, when they receive special treatment, when they get rewarded and take away from our citizens, that is just wrong on so many levels!

To ignore the plight of Americas homeless and hungry in favor of catering to an illegal immigrant is unacceptable. No one should be that poor no matter where they are from, but if it comes down it and we can't help our own, then we have no business helping anyone else first.
    I continually heard the Bush family state how lucky we were in this country and I agree it is some luck but mostly due to hard work, those born with wealth seem to miss that point.

If you neglect your home it will in time crumble yet that is exactly what progressive always seem
    to do paying attention to the entire world while ignoring troubles here at home. Not sure they are naive, ignorant or perhaps just greedy.
    Last edited by oldguy; 04-06-2014 at 08:20 PM.

"the dad who loved their children -- was worried that their children didn’t have food on the table. And they wanted to make sure their family was intact, and they crossed the border because they had no other means to work to be able to provide for their family. Yes, they broke the law, but it’s not a felony. It’s an act of love. It’s an act of commitment to your family. I honestly think that that is a different kind of crime that there should be a price paid, but it shouldn’t rile people up that people are actually coming to this country to provide for their families."

-So if I steal, say $200 to feed my family, and it's not a felony but a misdemeanor, do I get a lesser penalty than somebody else who steals $200? What about the person you stole the $200 from?
    Do they get any say in this? But if I steal $2000, that's a felony. I get the full punishment for that. The right idea would be: don't steal. Get a job.
    Well, he says, they couldn't get a job back home, there were no jobs. I have a hard time believing that. There is no famine or general economic crisis in south-of-the-border countries. There are jobs. They just don't pay as much as those in the United States. Come here, live 8 to a trailer. Bring your money back home later and due to the exchange rates it is a lot of money. That situation just amounts to breaking the law to get more money. It's just like stealing $200.

-"And they wanted to make sure their family was intact." The solution is for the part of your family that is here illegally to leave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "We have a sacred, noble obligation in this country to defend the rule
    of law. Without rule of law, without democracy, without rule of law being
    applied without fear or favor, there is no freedom."

Senator Chuck Schumer 6/11/2007
    <s

Quote Originally Posted by Kiara View Post
    Do we ourselves not have hungry children to feed? YES! Our poor people can't afford to go anywhere for help.
    Jeb's sob story is just another alert to the pro amnesty crowd that he's on their side. If he were actually concerned about daddy being able to feed his family, he'd be proposing an increase in our foreign aid.

I think that there is an E-Verify provision in the Senate's bill. Too bad Jeb didn't call for the House to pass a single-interest E-Verify bill that would protect Americans who need work, to feed their families.
    Americans first in this magnificent country

American jobs for American workers

Fair trade, not free trade
    Last edited by vistalad; 04-06-2014 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiara View Post
    WE are heartless for looking out for our own? WE do have compassion for all people of all races, no matter who they are or where they are from, but when they come before one of our own, when they receive special treatment, when they get rewarded and take away from our citizens, that is just wrong on so many levels!
    It's reached the point where almost nobody in public life is willing to say that we should help others, but that our first duty is to help our own people.

Let's face it, Demos are only too willing to sell out Americans, to lock up elected offices. Repubs are only too willing to sell out Americans, to appease their large donors.

The one thing that patriots have going for them is that polls consistently show that Americans do care about jobs and the economy. Somehow we've got to do a better job of reaching out to the great majority of American people.
    Americans first in this magnificent country

American jobs for American workers

Fair trade, not free trade

Jeb’s Gibberish

Sure, some illegal immigrants are acting out of love. So what?

April 7, 2014 5:18 PM
    Mark Krikorian
    National Review

You’d think that someone who put his name on a book about immigration would at least know a little bit about it. I’m afraid that may not be the case, if Jeb Bush’s recent comments on illegal immigration are any indication.

His “act of love” comment is what’s gotten everyone’s attention, and I agree with Ramesh’s take on the Corner to the extent that there’s some truth to what Jeb said:

Yes, they broke the law, but it’s not a felony; it’s an act of love. It’s an act of commitment to your family. I honestly think that this is a different kind of crime.

The problem is that doesn’t tell us very much. Bernie Madoff and Vito Corleone were devoted to their wives and children too.

And he should know perfectly well that jumping the border is a misdemeanor on the first offense, and overstaying a visa is not a criminal offense at all, only a civil one (at least for now). It’s a felony only if you sneak back in after having been deported. Also, identity theft can be a felony; likewise with tax fraud, Social Security fraud, perjury, and the many other offenses committed by “otherwise law-abiding” illegal aliens. Should all those crimes be ignored as well? Are they “different kinds of crimes” too?

That comparison to Madoff or the Godfather isn’t really fair, of course, because Jeb was claiming illegal aliens are forced to come here to feed their families: “The dad who loved their children was worried that their children didn’t have food on the table.” Okay, but aren’t there shoplifters, car thieves, and welfare cheats in the same position? Are those “different kinds of crime” because of the use the proceeds of the crime would be put to?

Jeb’s unspoken assumption is that people in the United States who can’t lawfully feed their children can rely on welfare, rather than shoplifting and car theft. Mexico, by his telling, is such a dysfunctional hellhole that even hard-working people can’t find honest work and will go hungry as a result. Prospective illegal aliens find themselves in a “Les Misérables” situation, stealing bread — i.e., jobs in the United States — to feed starving children.

This is horse flop. Mexico is an upper-middle-income country by world standards, with a per capita GDP, in purchasing-power parity terms, greater than that of Turkey, Brazil, Romania, Iran, South Africa, or Thailand. You want real poverty, try Congo or Zimbabwe, Somalia or Afghanistan. Funny that he’s not calling for unlimited immigration from those countries instead. For someone who makes a habit of assuring Mexicans that “I understand your people,” Jeb seems to have a remarkably one-dimensional view of the place.

Also, almost all Mexican immigrant workers in the U.S. had jobs in Mexico before they chose to come here. As the late Robert Pastor, no immigration restrictionist by any means, put it:

Surveys of Mexican undocumented workers in the United States discovered that as many as 93% had jobs in Mexico before they came to the United States so they are not coming for jobs. Their motive is income; for similar work, they can earn six to ten times as much in the United States as in Mexico.

Wanting a higher salary is a perfectly normal and laudable ambition. But it depends on how you go about it. Sneaking into someone else’s country in violation of their laws, stealing American children’s identities, engaging in tax fraud, and then being subsidized by the taxpayers of the country where you are an intruder is not laudable.

And his comments on visa overstayers were bizarre:

​​Forty percent of illegal immigrants come with legal visas and they overstay their balance. A great country ought to know where those folks are and politely ask them to leave. Now you’ve cut out 6 million people and if you did that as it occurs, that would restore people’s confidence.

That’s actually quite sound, except that he followed it up with his paean to Mexican border-jumpers acting out of love. Can’t overstaying your visa be an act of love? What’s the difference between someone planning to infiltrate our border to get a better-paying job and another person planning to overstay a tourist visa to get a better-paying job? And if we can politely ask visa-overstayers to leave, why can’t we politely ask border-infiltrators to leave as well?

But putting aside all the ignorance and illogic, Jeb’s view of the issue is clear from this fragment: “The way I look at this, someone who comes into our country because they couldn’t come legally . . .” In the decision tree of immigration policy-making, the first branch is this: Can everyone in the world move to the United States, or are there going to be legal limits, limits that must be enforced even against people engaged in “an act of love”? When Jeb excuses illegal immigration “because they couldn’t come legally,” he’s betraying his view that anyone in the world who wants to come here must be permitted to do so. Stopping them is the opposite of an “act of love.”

And so, Jeb Bush’s immigration policy in a single sentence: Any limit on immigration is an act of hate.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...mark-krikorian
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast