Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Latino Parents protest when their kids take test in English

Parents protest test in English

ISAT | Threaten to keep kids home rather than take new state exam

February 13, 2008
    BY ROSALIND ROSSI Education Reporter rrossi@suntimes.com
    Angry Chicago Latino parents threatened Tuesday to keep their kids home on test day next month if state education officials insist on giving students who are still learning English an achievement test in English.

Facing threats of federal sanctions, state officials were ordered last October to give the same state tests native English speakers take to some 60,000 Illinois public school kids who haven’t yet mastered English.

A HELPING HAND
    Some test accommodations offered to kids who are still learning English* but will be taking state tests in English next month:

* Extra time; more breaks.

* For third- through eighth-graders, small group or individual testing.

* Scripted test directions read in native language. Upon request, proctors of third- through eighth-grade tests can repeat those directions or provide non-scripted directions in "simplified'' English.

* Scripted test questions read in English by proctors or English audio recordings of third- through eighth-grade math and science tests, and all 11th-grade tests.

* Third- through eighth-graders can get "glossaries" that translate non-key English words into native languages in math and science.

* For questions requiring written responses, students can dictate answers in English to proctors, who will transcribe them in English onto answer sheets.

* Officials are trying to provide directions and glossaries in Spanish, Polish, Arabic, Urdu, Korean, Pilipino/Tagalog, Cantonese, Gujarati, Vietnamese and Russian.

Source: Illinois State Board of Education
    During a news conference Tuesday at the Logan Square Neighborhood Association, about two dozen Latino parents charged that the test mandate is “unfair,’’ “anti-immigrant’’ and “anti-bilingual education.’’

They were joined by State Sen. Iris Martinez (D-Chicago), who said the federal government was “trying to take this program [bilingual education] away from us’’ by forcing children to take a test in English before they are fluent.

“This is a way of attacking children who don’t understand the language,’’ said Martinez, who is pushing a resolution to delay the test for a year.

Previously, Illinois kids in bilingual education programs for less than three years took an alternative state test in English.

But last October federal education officials ruled that test did not meet federal No Child Left Behind standards. They ordered Illinois bilingual education students who have been in public schools for more than a year to take the same tests native English speakers take, starting March 3.

Speaking through a Spanish-English translator, parent Erika Soto said her third-grade daughter is “very smart, but because of this test, she is going to be labeled a failure. So how is she going to feel?’’

Parents raised their hands in agreement Tuesday when asked if they would keep their children home rather than have them take the new test.

“We have to push them to pay attention and if this is the way to get them to pay attention, I will do it,’’ said Leticia Barrera, parent of a Monroe Elementary third grader.

Barrera’s daughter, Arely, said she did poorly on practice tests, and is worried she’ll tank the real thing.

“I’m scared,’’ said Arely, age 9. “I think I’m going to fail. I’m not prepared

Read more.............

http://www.suntimes.com/news/education/ ... eb.article
    ------------------------

This is so stupid. I live in Chicagoland, and I know a place where they can take tests in Spanish. It's called Mexico.

This is why we should have English-only laws. It costs too much to speak everybody's languages. This is America - we speak English. Sheesh.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." -- John Quincy Adams

2 dozen Latinos can draw attention, but 80% of the US citizens get ignored.

Keep em' home permenantly!
    ------------------------

Good!! Keep every one of your illegal invader and anchor babies home. In fact keep them at home for good. I love it how these illegal invaders think they are doing American a favor by allowing their invader kids to go to school. The logic employed by these people is confusing at best.

If they want to speak spanish in school I think they can be accomodated in mexico.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

So far I have opened up 5 people to the problems of IA and then it's a chain reaction because those people could each get 5 people and so on and so forth. We have a movement going on here and we are an unstoppable force because we are Americans and we are hard workers, we are the ones who built this country and we are the ones who will take OUR country back. Ignorance is bliss and right now these IA's are in a state of bliss but that will soon change. Let them whine, while they whine and spout racism we will trudge on as we always do with our heads held high knowing the law and WE THE PEOPLE are on our side. God Bless America!

When I first started passing information on to different Immigration forums in 2004, the problems with Illegals were questionable with most posters on alot of sites
    Until I posted a reality video on Illegals protesting in Ca.
    That woke alot of people up to what was actually happening to this country.

I posted the same reality video on many of the Immigration forums in different states a recieved the same reaction and results from most all of them.
    The one state that's the slowest on comprehending the facts of illegal Immigration was Alaska.
    ------------------------

Parents protest test in English

ISAT | Threaten to keep kids home rather than take new state exam

Is this a threat or a promise. Try it and see who cares!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This is not unusual for them - this attitude and mentality is what keeps them working in the fields, hotels and fast food restaurants.

This is why we should have English-only laws. It costs too much to speak everybody's languages. This is America - we speak English. Sheesh.

What I don't get is ENGLISH is the OFFICIAL language of the state. Yet now they are going town by town to fight that. Their basis is it's not OFFICIAL in the Federal government....either the state has rights or it don't....if the government doesn't officially declare it, then the state already has. Notice though.....anyone who's lived in Illinois KNOWS we have TONS of immigrants here....from every place on this EARTH....there's only 1 group complaining. Only 1 group fighting learning English.

I mean when you look at all the expemtions and extra care.....the only thing lacking is someone to take the test for you. My own American Citizen daughter was held back for being "SHY" because she wouldn't answer questions in front of the room. She wasn't given an "option" to be tested one on one...or to whisper her answer in somebodys ear and have them say it out loud for her....or to write the answer instead of verbally.....she was flunked. She was bright, knew the material....but she had to overcome her problems or she didn't move on!!!!! Period...end of subject. No options...no "special considerations".....her "psych" was damaged everytime she was "embarrassed" in front of her classmates.....it made her feel stupid and inadequate and afraid ...... what's the difference? She had to either get over it or stay in 3nd grade forever. She was already sent home in kindergarten and held back a year because she was so tiny she needed help with her thermos at lunch time. They didn't have the time or resources to "cater" to her. What...10 seconds to break the seal? Yet she knew every academic requirement to be there and to pass.

I had to fight to keep her out of the "special classes".......now she's and honor student in advanced subjects.....she got over her issues. She HAD to.

The only "issues" illegal invaders have are a sense of entitlement and a bad case of ignorance combined with a dose arrogance and bravado.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast