Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Let's be real!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Speaking of Ann Richards she was recently diagnosed with a terminal type of cancer. She doesn't take herself too seriously and is actually likable at times. My favorite Ann Richards quote is "George Bush was born with a silver foot in his mouth". I'm not gay and don't know many people who are but her sexuality doesn't offend or threaten me. Rove's arrogance does.

nntrixie--I agree with HALF of your points. Of course, it never hurts to learn ANYTHING new HOWEVER I would NEVER encourage my children to learn Spanish. I do encourage them to learn OTHER languages. Right now, they are taking French and they are going to take Latin next year. I just fundamentally protest cramming one particular language down the throats of Americans and, if the Hispanics have their way, this country will be bilingual withing 10 years. This is NOT a bilingual country and we cannot afford to sit back and allow this to continue. There is one reason that we are in the position that we are in right now vis-a-vis the FORCED use of Spanish in the workplace--we have sat back and been complacent and bought into the mindset that we won't get anywhere in the business world unless we learn to speak Spanish. The American people are being BRAINWASHED by the constant demands placed on us to choose between only TWO languages when we seek services such as banks, credit card companies, tech support, etc. So, unless and until all of these companies give us choices of several other languages, I am avoiding them if possible and, if not, I am voicing my objections as soon as I get a PERSON on the line. We just MUST stop rolling over and letting them walk all over us and the language issue is the best place to start.

I have been demanding, for years, that my representatives fight to have English declared our official language and that anyone who wants to vote in this country MUST do so in English. Otherwise, they are not Americans and don't deserve the vote.

My favorite Ann Richards quote is "George Bush was born with a silver foot in his mouth". I'm not gay and don't know many people who are but her sexuality doesn't offend or threaten me. Rove's arrogance does.
    LOL Andyt! I had never heard that statement about Bush but it sure applies. I think she was governor first time I lived in TX. I didn't know she was gay. If I were going to vote for someone, that wouldn't stop me-- and I'm not gay, either-- just tolerant. You are right, of course, that Rove's arrogance, as well as the fact that he is manipulating others who are seemingly less intelligent, is disturbing.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Spanish

..."HOWEVER I would NEVER encourage my children to learn Spanish".

EagleEye, If you read my post, this thread, pg 1, you'll see that I know what you mean.

You'd also see that I'm beginning to believe that learning Spanish so that you can KNOW what's being said in front of you (without acknowledging that you do understand), might become a significant safety factor for you and your family, unfortunately.
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

Re: Spanish

Quote Originally Posted by curiouspat
    You'd also see that I'm beginning to believe that learning Spanish so that you can KNOW what's being said in front of you (without acknowledging that you do understand), might become a significant safety factor for you and your family, unfortunately.
    I wholeheartedly agree, but I honestly don't know when I could learn it, except maybe in the car. I can't even keep up with what's going on on the board
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

learning Spanish / Invasion

Mamie,,

Boy do I get the time challenge. My 87 yr. old beloved mother has Alzheimer's, and she's at the point that she's minute to minute care. I can really only accomplish something if she's either happily occupied(i.e. eating), or asleep.

If you can learn even 1 word a day, consistantly, that is 365 words in a year. Do 10 if you can. You should be able to get a book or audio tape from a library, if you need to and have access. Start with common words and phrases (if you know their alphabet and sounds). Even if you don't understand everything someone says, if you could get the gist of it, that MIGHT inprove your safety one day. I believe I read in a language book, that if you can speak and understand 250 words in a language, that you can get by.

Does anybody out there, have any suggestions?! I know it's distasteful, but if it comes to protecting my family, ...or yours.....

Dear God, I pray it doesn't come to that!
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

library sounds like a good start ... I took Spanish and shorthand in school, but we never got very far in either one! -- uno, dos, tres, besa mi ****
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

spanish

Oh good, Mamie,

Then you already have a headstart because you know the sounds. Another suggestion...how about either online or a used book store?

PS here's just one link. I doubt it's a full course. There are a lot of them. http://www.spanishprograms.com/
    TIME'S UP!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123