Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Letter received from Sen. Salazar

Obviously a form letter sent to those that sent him e-mails in opposition to the Comprehensively(Bad) Immigration Reform bill . Many of you probably received this same letter. Pay particular attention to the pablum of the last two paragraphs. I was peeved enough to send him another opposition letter.

Dear Stephen:

Thank you for contacting me regarding immigration reform. I appreciate hearing from you on this very important issue.

Let me first say that I can certainly understand the strong feelings on all sides of this difficult and urgent issue. My own approach to the issue of immigration reform is based on two guiding principles. First and foremost, in order to put a stop to the flow of illegal immigrants into our nation, our borders must be secured and our laws must be enforced. Second, we need a system for dealing with the twelve million undocumented immigrants already in the U.S. that is practical, fair, and firm.

On May 17, after intense negotiations spanning the course of months, I joined a bipartisan, ideologically diverse group of senators in announcing that an agreement had been reached on comprehensive immigration reform legislation. This agreement is an important first step forward toward fixing our broken immigration system, and I believe it reflects the multi-faceted nature of the urgent problem we face as a nation.

The agreement has four major components. First, it would secure our porous borders through the construction of 370 miles of fencing, 200 miles of vehicle barriers, and the deployment of 70 ground-based radar and camera towers. The legislation would strengthen the enforcement of our immigration laws by increasing the number of Border Patrol agents, deploying resources to detain 27,500 illegal immigrants a day on an annual basis, and increasing the number of interior and workplace enforcement inspectors. It would also hold employers accountable for illegal hiring practices by requiring them to electronically verify the legal status of new hires and all existing employees under the threat of heavy fines for noncompliance, a change from current law. Collectively, all of these measures will improve our national security and diminish the flow of illegal immigrants into our country. They are the centerpiece and the emphasis of this legislation.

Second, once the benchmarks outlined above are met, and only once the new security measures are implemented, the legislation provides for the creation of a new temporary worker program to fill jobs for which American workers cannot be found. Under this program, employers could hire temporary workers only after they advertised and made attempts to hire American workers. I believe this program, if implemented properly, will go a long way toward helping farmers, ranchers, and businesses across Colorado and the nation. At the same time, I will work to ensure there is proper oversight and enforcement of the program’s provisions designed to protect American workers.

Third, the legislation would augment the current visa system, which stresses family ties in the allocation of visas, to include a merit-based point system that would take into account an applicant's previous experience in a high-demand occupation, as well as his/her educational level and English proficiency. While I believe the changes to our current visa system would help America remain competitive in the global economy, I also believe it must be constructed and implemented in a way that preserves our longstanding commitment to bringing families together in our immigration policy.

Finally, the legislation would allow undocumented workers currently in the U.S. to continue working here while applying for renewable four-year visas. After eight years, workers who are granted these visas would then be given the opportunity to earn their permanent residency (a green card). In order to do so, however, they would be required to pay a fine, remain crime-free, demonstrate English proficiency, go to the back of the line behind current green card/citizenship applicants, submit to rigorous background checks, and to return to their country of origin to file the application.

Some claim that this border security, enforcement, and visa system is amnesty. They are wrong. This proposal does not absolve undocumented workers from their responsibility to the rule of law. It recognizes, however, that many of these workers are contributing members of our society, and as such, it provides a strict and thorough process through which they can come out of the shadows and right their wrongs in a manner that is humane, fair, and consistent with our values.

This agreement represents only a first step, and I will be the first to admit that it is not perfect. But it is my strong conviction that we cannot allow the perfect to get in the way of the good. The problem of immigration has festered for too long, and the time is now to tackle it head on.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your views.

Sincerely,

Ken Salazar
    United States Senator
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Another Senator giving the party line

he ought to send boots with the letter
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"understand the feelings on both sides?
    There should only be one side to this....the American people's side.

"cannot allow the perfect to get in the way of the good?
    There isn't any good in this bill. Who is he kidding?

Reading letters that have been posted by different members from their Senators tells me that they still don't get it.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

I would write back to him..................

The only difficult part is you, as a U.S. Senator, pandering to your south of the border relatives instead of American citizens and LEGAL immigrants.

Sounds like a conflict of interest!!!!

JAK
    When the time comes...COLORADO! VOTE THIS MAN OUT OF OFFICE!!!
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!

Quote Originally Posted by JAK
    When the time comes...COLORADO! VOTE THIS MAN OUT OF OFFICE!!!
    I got the exact same reply to my letter, too. The guy is a "planted agent" in our government to fight for La Raza. That's all he is.

Yes, he will be voted out in the next election. I don't believe Coloradoans are going to forgive him for being one of the creators of this Amnesty Bill.

Rice

Write back to him asking why we should welcome this garbage bill and its NEW LAWS, when they cannot enforce the existing laws...

What? are we that stupid to believe you scumbags again? If they wanted to secure the borders they would have done so already. They really think Americans are stupid.
    "If you always do what You've always done, You'll always get what you always got!"

“If you ain’t mad, you ain’t paying attention.â€

Quote Originally Posted by rwrice
    Quote Originally Posted by JAK
    Yes, he will be voted out in the next election. I don't believe Coloradoans are going to forgive him for being one of the creators of this Amnesty Bill.
    He won't be the ONLY one voted out of office!!!
    "You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me, you hear!?"

I wish CAIR and other organizations would take on a recall I would get signatures. This is the wrong guy for Colorado and he has 4 yrs.
    AMERICAN WORKERS FIRST -- A RAID A DAY KEEPS THE ILLEGALS AWAY

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast