Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

McCain courts Hispanic voters

Here we go again. McCain just continues to rub his amnesty plans in our face and say"you losers will vote for me anyway and I will do what I want".

I think this is the final nail in the coffin of the once proud republican party. But then, we all already knew that.

Excerpts below and full story here:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/05/05/ ... index.html

(CNN) -- Sen. John McCain said Monday the tenor of the immigration debate has hurt the way Hispanic voters view the Republican Party.

Sen. John McCain lauched a Spanish-language Web site on Monday.

"I believe the majority of Hispanics share our view that the border must be secured, and the border must be secured first," McCain said in Phoenix, Arizona.

"But they also want us to have an attitude which I think most Americans do, that these are God's children and they must be taken care of."

The senator from Arizona used Cinco de Mayo as a launching pad for a new Spanish-language Web site on Monday, and he emphasized his stance on immigration and border security as he tried to court the Hispanic vote.

McCain is seen as a moderate Republican when it comes to immigration reform, but the conservative base of his party has taken a hard-line approach on the issue. See where the candidates stand on immigration

In 2005, McCain angered some in his party when he and Democratic Sen. Ted Kennedy unsuccessfully pushed for a comprehensive immigration reform bill that included a path to citizenship.

McCain now says he would focus first on securing the borders before offering other ways to deal with illegal immigration.

McCain on Monday empathized with Hispanics who have been mistreated and said low-income Hispanics are often the first to lose their jobs when someone come to the United States illegally.

He underscored his view that those who came to the U.S. legally take priority over those who entered the country illegally, but said that still means the issue can be addressed "in a humane and compassionate fashion, understanding families, understanding all the aspects that affect the lives of all human beings."

McCain, who represents a border state with a large Latino population, said he thinks he will do well among Hispanic voters, partly because of his "long record working with Hispanic leadership."

"I know the people, I know the patriotism, I know the loyalty, I know the respect for the family, the advocacy for life," he said. "Everything about our Hispanic voters is tailor made to the Republican message."

McCain also pledged to attend the National Council for La Raza's convention in July, the largest national Hispanic civil rights organization which seeks to improve opportunities for Hispanic-Americans.

Asked if he would face criticism from his more conservative backers, McCain stressed his party is all encompassing.

"My party is an inclusive party, my party reaches out to every citizen, every American who shares our views and our optimism and our belief in the principles of this great nation," he said.

"I will make sure we go to places where I may not get the majority of their votes. But the job I have is to reunite America, to make sure that people know that I will be the president of all the people whether they vote for me or not."

I've voted republican my whole life...With lame choices like John McCain, the party deserves to die!

Maybe some day, hopefully before it's too late, something good will come out of all this.

I refuse to vote for this Idiot Ill write in mickey mouse before I vote for him.
    We can't deport them all ? Just think of the fun we could have trying!

I will either write in Ron Paul or vote for Chuck Baldwin. My vote will not be wasted!

Molly
    I agree...I too have voted Republican all of my voting years.
    Not this time! The more John McCain talks the more he sounds
    like Bush.
    "When injustice become law, resistance becomes duty." Thomas Jefferson

McCain's goose is cooked! What a fool!!!

We still have a primary coming up here in Idaho, and I'm voting for Ron Paul, and I will write him in come November no matter what.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I've voted republican all my life. I would not vote for McCain if someone held a loaded gun to my head. He wants to meet with La Raza? Go ahead! This will blow up in his face big time and I can't think of anyone who more deserves the full wrath of the American people than him, co-author of the scamnesty bill he and Ted Kennedy (architect of America's destruction) tried to ram down our throats.

RON PAUL ALL THE WAY!!!

We are so screwed. All 3 candidates are huge amnesty people. WE really need to rally around one of the independents and at least make a statement.

Honestly, I think we are better off with Hillary or Obama, as shockign as that sounds. At least that would put some spine in congressional republicans.

TrueTexan wrote:
    Honestly, I think we are better off with Hillary or Obama, as shockign as that sounds. At least that would put some spine in congressional republicans.
    Oh my God, TrueTexan, bite your tongue! You're right, it's shocking. I think everyone should rally around Ron Paul and write him in. Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants if he won by write-ins? The Constitutionalist who's running isn't bad, but I was kind of turned off by all the preaching. And he's less known than Ron Paul.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast