Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

McCain: Straight Talker or Serial Liar?

McCain: Straight Talker or Serial Liar?
    By Eric Schulzke
    Jan 31st 2008 2:26PM
    Filed Under:eJohn McCain, Breaking News, 2008 President

John McCain, who was skewered by nearly all commentators for his dogged twisting of what Romney really said about the surge, the same weekend flatly denied a report by John Fund at WSJ that he had criticized Alito while praising Roberts in a discussion with Republican lawyers nine months ago. He lied about it initially on the eve of the Florida primary, so emphatically that many of his critics took the denial at face value.

Did he think that no one else in the room would report the conversation? Apparently, it was such a stunning moment that one witness described "jaws dropping" around the room. Robert Novak now has two sources who did not know the other was talking to him that were at the same meeting and return the same report. Neither was John Fund's source. John McCain did make the comment, and now is lying about it. Thus, in last night's debate, he went out of his way to point to Roberts and Alito as the type of judges he would appoint.

Does anyone wonder why the GOP base remains distant and skeptical? And does anyone think such a gulf of distrust can be bridged in time to avert a massive turnout failure in November?

Aside from the obvious character problem of lying to you about something you are sure to be caught on, I'm more troubled by the probability that this means he would gladly appoint another David Souter to the court. At this point, I see only two reasons to support McCain in November -- the court and the war. He just took the first off the table. The second is looking pretty lonely about now.

UPDATE: I highly recommend the Powerline dialogue currently underway. Paul and Scott both find McCain's behavior reprehensible. John agrees in theory, but also argues that the ability to knee an opponent in the groin on the bottom on a scrum is the mark of a good politician. Either way, McCain does not come off as very honorable or likable, and win or lose is unlike to ever engender affection.

Here is an excerpt from Novak's report:
    "In fact, multiple sources confirm that the senator made negative comments about Alito nine months ago. ...

"I found what McCain could not remember: a private, informal chat with conservative Republican lawyers shortly after he announced his candidacy in April 2007. I talked to two lawyers who were present whom I have known for years and who have never misled me. One is neutral in the presidential race, and the other recently endorsed Mitt Romney. Both said they were not Fund's source, and neither knew I was talking to the other. They gave me nearly identical accounts, as follows:

"'Wouldn't it be great if you get a chance to name somebody like Roberts and Alito?' one lawyer commented. McCain replied, 'Well, certainly Roberts.' Jaws were described as dropping. My sources cannot remember exactly what McCain said next, but their recollection is that he described Alito as too conservative."

http://news.aol.com/political-machine/2 ... rial-liar/
    Bring back the Rotary Phone so we dont have to pressÂ*1 forÂ*English...Â*

I'm so sad, I can't believe after all of this McCain will probably get the nomination. McCain vs Hillary or Obama. Please someone wake me up, this must be a bad dream!

Or even better could some one please through cold water on the entire country.