Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mexican male names dominate Arizona births

The number one male name for babies born in Arizona in the last year is Angel, pronounced an-hell, the G is soft. Note the other hispanic names in the TOP 10.

Published: 12.22.2006

Angel, Mia most popular Arizona baby names
    By Howard Fischer
    CAPITOL MEDIA SERVICES

PHOENIX - Where have all the Jennifers gone?

Or, for that matter, the Jessicas, the Melissas and the Amys?

They've been replaced by little girls bearing names like Mia, Emily and Isabella. According to the records of the Arizona Department of Health Services, these are the most popular names for girls born this year.

That means all those women born 20 and 30 years ago - when those other names were topping the charts - are now making choices that are decidedly different for their own daughters.

So hello Ashley and Madison. And goodbye Shannon and Veronica.

There hasn't been that sea-change for boys. Biblical names like Michael, Daniel, David and Joseph have been perennials near the top of the list for decades now.

But the state's changing demographics have made some differences. Hispanic names which were nowhere on that Top 20 list two decades ago now show up regularly.

In fact, Angel is the top boy's name for 2006, with Jose at number five, Jesus seventh and Luis one slot behind that.

But Michael, which had been at the top in 1976, 1986 and 1996, still is strong in sixth place.

It is among the girls that the cycles are more obvious.

Consider Jennifer, the top name in 1976.

A decade later, it had slid to number four, topped, in order, by Jessica, Ashley and Amanda.

By 1996 it was barely hanging on the most popular list at 18.

This year? There are 32 names for girls that are more popular.

A similar pattern exists for Jessica which, despite its top showing in 1986, is only at No. 27 this year.

And do you remember how trendy the name Heather was years ago? It even sparked a 1989 black comedy about a clique of girls, all with the same name, who play the very spoiled teen queens of their high school.

Well, the Department of Health Services reports that Heather did not even show up in the 100 most popular names for girls in 2006.

And that says something. To get to be number 100 took having only 81 girls out of 46,193 born in the state this year.

That's not to say there is no consistency.

Take Elizabeth for example. While it has never topped the charts, it also has consistently been among the Top 20.

Unlike the names for boys, it is more difficult to figure out how the state's increasingly Hispanic population has figure in the names for girls. That's because girls' names are less ethnically linked, like Mia, Isabella, Sophia and Victoria.

There are some similar patterns for boys' names, though less obvious.

For example, Jason was the second most popular name 30 years ago. This year it managed to make only 79th on the list.

The statistics also show that it takes some parents longer than others to come up with a suitable name. A total of 146 boys and 127 girls born in 2006 left the hospital with a birth certificate - but without a name.

Most popular baby names in Arizona for 2006 - boys

1. Angel

2. Daniel

3. Anthony

4. Jacob

5. Jose

6. Michael

7. Jesus

8. Luis

9. Joshua

10. Gabriel

11. David

12. Andrew

13. Christopher

14. Alexander

15. Ethan

16. Matthew

17. Jonathan

18. Joseph

19. Christian

20. Juan
    Most popular baby names in Arizona for 2006 - girls

1. Mia

2. Emily

3. Isabella

4. Emma

5. Ashley

6. Madison

7. Ava

8. Sophia

9. Samantha

10. Alyssa

11. Abigail

12. Alexis

13. Natalie

14. Hannah

15. Elizabeth

16. Hailey

17. Brianna

18. Alexa

19. Olivia

20. Victoria

-- Source: Arizona Department of Health Services

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/printDS/161553
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...

Texas too! The most common male baby name in Texas Jose.

Glad I live in the Pittsburgh area

Quote Originally Posted by steelerbabe
    Glad I live in the Pittsburgh area
    Give it a few more more years. Congress refuses to secure the border and Bush is pushing amnesty. Even the most conservative estimates indicate the US will be a hispanic nation by 2050.

April
    Scary prediction Hawkeye, however if things keep going the way they are I am sure you are right.

watching the spanish names

For the record I am in the Chicago area, which has the largest crop of Illegal Aliens outside LA, and I see daily the problems that are developing as the result of this invasion. I have yet to see any of the so-called good effects. It has affected my family, my neighborhood, and the property value of my house as fallen almost $75.00.00. (When the rest of the housing market was booming). I am told by the realtors (off the record) to expect another $25.000.00 to $50.000.00 loss when I give up and leave. That’s because the only ones buying in here cannot pay the real price. And banks and mortgage companies are giving mortgages out to undocumented immigrants, just to make fast buck. I have been here building equity of over 20 years, and in just 3 short years I lost major money, as a direct result of this invasion from the south.

I am in Cook County, IL and our County Commissioner, Roberto Maldonado (go figure), introduced a resolution that passed, making Cook County a "sanctuary" for undocumented immigrants, meaning authorities could not inquire about their immigration status in routine interactions. What this doesn’t say is that O’Hara International Airport is in Cook County. As well as Midway Airport, and Union Station. Lets think about that in our war on terrorism, just to protect Elvira Arellano. (She was Maldonado’s inspiration for this sanctuary ordnance)

As it stands right now I cannot even go to the local mall to shop without 90% of the people around me speaking Spanish. Which it was not that way just one year ago. (Why do I have to dial one for English?) Yes I am mad! You would be too. I bet nobody out there defending the illegal immigrants can say they have given up so much. The bleeding hearts just tell us about the illegal immigrants hardships. Well I am a citizen that has played by the book and now has to pay out of the pocket. Is anyone willing to tells us their story, CAN anyone even tell what they gave up?

I can go on and on about how this invasion as effected the schools. In fact I will.
    True story number one; I have three kids that went through the local school system. At the first High School graduation I noticed that about 30% of the names were Spanish names. Two years later when the second child graduated it was about 60%, and then two more years (this past June) when the last kid graduated the Spanish name were about 90%. Most are illegal or are related to illegal immigrants.

True story number two: My daughter ranked number one in her class every year from the start of middle school to high school graduation. (Six years) She was the class Valedictorian at the high school graduation. We really thought her hard work would pay off with scholarships, and grants. At graduation this school features three students at graduation and gives a ten-minute talk about them. Well Poncho (we won’t use his real name) was one of the three. In this auditorium of almost 3000 or more people we were told; Poncho was selected because his parents are “illegal immigrants” that wanted him to quit school and get a job to help the family, but because of his “stick with it” attitude and graduated high school he was picked for an all expenses paid $50.000.00 per/year grant to a technical college in St Louis. Back to my daughter, the class Valedictorian lets see, she got a $250.00 scholarship and another two $50.00 grants. All in all, maybe $400.00. How is that for a slap in the face? It told my kids that being illegal is more rewarding then Good American Hard Work. By the way this was the first graduation when only 30% of the class was Spanish names. I won’t even talk about this past June.
    <div>&ldquo;There is no longer any Left or Right, there is only Tyranny or Liberty &rdquo;</div>

April
    MadInChicagowrote:

It told my kids that being illegal is more rewarding then Good American Hard Work.
    Your post made me a mixture of very angry and very sad. I am so sorry for the hardships you have suffered due to illegal immigaration and am especially sorry for the experience your daughter had at her school. Please tell her that there are still Americans that believe in the American way and we are HARD AT WORK to turn this insanely unfair mess around.

They brag about how they are going to overwhelm us in a few years then turn around and call us racist.

These are jobs that Americans don’t want, Right???

April, thanks for your sympathetic thoughts. Not to lessen your thoughts but I wish the people that can make a difference could be reached with this message, and all the others stories that need to be told from all the folks across this country. Actually first, we need to find some leaders that really do care before our stories can be heard.

This forum is nice to vent, and find others who feel as you do. But the real question is, “where can we go when it seems that none of our leaders care”. Actually at times it feels as though they are promoting your demise to advance their agenda. (It feels as if we are the “emanate domain” losers of the immigration issue). At one time I would say, “Go vote, let your voice be heard”. But that is futile when you’re only voting for the “lesser of the evils”. With them it’s not about right or wrong, but it’s about power. That is, who has it and, the fact that anything and everything is open to sacrifice to get it. It’s unfortunate but our primary enemy is not the illegal immigrates, that is second, but rather it’s our leaders that thirst for power. None of our concerns are going to matter to them, just as long as they’re in power. They don’t have live and work in the areas that are affected by this invasion from the south. They are just building a voter base to keep them in power. That is “IMPORTING” a voter base, right after exporting all our jobs.

The daughter I noted in the previous post did make it to college; She is going to be a Nurse. We are very proud of her, as we are of all our children. I mention this now because the insults continue far after the graduation I spoke of. Locally here in Cook County, IL, to combat the Nursing shortage, another county official is floating a bill (or ordnance I’m sure what its called) that would go to Mexico and recruit thousands of nurses to come here to cover the so-call nursing shortage. It even openly says it will supply false documentation, as well as pay all moving expanses. Also the biggest insult is that it would also allocate funds to teach Spanish to the current staff, so that they and the newer nurses (my daughter in this case) would be able to take orders from the more experienced Mexican nurses, who would be in charge.

These are jobs that Americans don’t want, Right???
    <div>&ldquo;There is no longer any Left or Right, there is only Tyranny or Liberty &rdquo;</div>

MadinChicago,

I also live in cook county and am probably much angrier than even you are when it comes to having to live with millions of illegals. We know who they are and can't do a thing about it. ALL of our reps are traitors, plain and simple. I have to live next door to the worst of the litter of illegals and they hate me as much as I hate them. All I can do, since we are represented by traitors, is call the cops, get to know the top cops and never vote for anyone with a hispanic name. Every hispanic, unfortunately, in my area is 100% pro-illegal and are traitors to everyone but mexico.

We moved our granddaughter out of this area so she wouldn't have to deal with many of them, for now, in school or otherwise.

Hopefully the downturn in housing will continue for a while and they will either starve or leave?

Good luck.
    "There's no such thing as ILLEGALalien-able rights!" REGRESO E MEXICO !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast