Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mexico and Canada Tussle Over Immigration

Mexico and Canada Tussle Over Immigration

By MARC LACEY
    Published: August 9, 2009

GUADALAJARA, Mexico — Ahead of President Obama’s arrival in Mexico on Sunday night for a summit meeting of North American leaders, immigration was prompting significant behind-the-scenes debate.

But it was Mexicans entering Canada, not the United States, that was the contentious issue.

Too many Mexicans, the Canadian government complained, were fraudulently claiming political asylum in Canada, overwhelming the system.

So Canada announced last month that it would begin requiring Mexican nationals to secure visas before entering the country, a decision that sparked outrage in Mexico.

The Mexicans struck back with an announcement that Canadian diplomats and government officials would now require visas to enter Mexico.

Although some angry Mexican lawmakers urged President Felipe Calderon to go further and require visas for all Canadian visitors, Mr. Calderon held off, not wanting to further damage Mexico’s tourism industry, which relies heavily on North American visitors.

Aides to Mr. Calderon said he planned to use his one-one-one meeting Sunday with Stephen Harper, Canada’s prime minister, to push Canada to reconsider its decision. No breakthrough was expected, though, with Canadian officials saying beforehand that they did not plan to immediately change the policy.

The annual summit, an outgrowth of North American Free Trade Agreement signed in 1994, is designed to put the United States and its northern and southern neighbors on the same page when it comes to policy.

In fact, officials said Mr. Obama, Mr. Calderon and Mr. Harper intended to forge common strategies for climate change, fighting the swine flu virus and responding to the debilitating economic crisis.

But the meeting, which rotates among the three countries, also highlights divisions among the close trading partners.

Mexico said it intended to raise at the summit a trade dispute that began when the U. S. Congress canceled a program, in violation of NAFTA, that allowed Mexico trucks to operate in the United States.

Mexico responded to that decision by imposing billions of dollars in tariffs on American products. The Obama administration said it is seeking to resolve the dispute but did not have a deal ready in time for the summit.

Another irritant is the “Buy Americanâ€

The annual summit, an outgrowth of North American Free Trade Agreement signed in 1994, is designed to put the United States and its northern and southern neighbors on the same page when it comes to policy.
    On the same page hell. It appears Mexico is the ones gaining everything. They even mentioned that in the presidential debates,how NAFTA V***V!
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

We need to get rid of NAFTA

So Canada announced last month that it would begin requiring Mexican nationals to secure visas before entering the country, a decision that sparked outrage in Mexico.
    So what else is new? Mexico is always outraged about something. Especially, when its neighbors to the north try to prevent millions of mexican nationals from invading their country!

Mexico never likes that...
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

ELE
    This puts a glich in the plans for the North American Union. Great!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

PM of CA needs to step up like Rudd of Austrailia..and so does our leaders. TO HELL WITH NAFTA!

Quote Originally Posted by ELE
    This puts a glich in the plans for the North American Union. Great!
    GO CANADA!!!

Too bad our idiot, FAKE President didn't stand up for us Americans!
    He puts America down and says delusional crap like,
    "America's the largest Muslim Nation???"
    AND
    "America was not founded on Christianity"?????

He must be still blowing cocaine along with his 3 packs of Camels a day!!! :P

When he sets his bed on fire we'll know he's smoking in bed!
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

He must be still blowing cocaine along with his 3 packs of Camels a day!!!

I thought he gave up smoking? Or is he still struggling with that? Oh well, no matter. Just assume to be true the opposite of anything Obama says.

Quote Originally Posted by NoBueno
    He must be still blowing cocaine along with his 3 packs of Camels a day!!!

I thought he gave up smoking? Or is he still struggling with that? Oh well, no matter. Just assume to be true the opposite of anything Obama says.
    No, he never has been able. He has given it up, in view of anyone.

I'd say now with all his self made stress he has to have "kicked it up a notch!" LOL
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

This puts the Mexicans in an unusual situation since they are arguing that their country is a terrible place that people should run from. I salute the Canadians for not allowing their immigration system to be gamed. They still stand up for the rights of their common citizens unlike too many of the leaders here in the United States.

As for particular other statements from people posting on the ALIPAC board not all of the people who post here are neo merc trogs. Nor do I fail to understand the historical importance of theism and deism.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast