Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Navarrette: Immigrants do the jobs your lazy kids won't

Navarrette: Immigrants do the jobs your lazy kids won't
    RUBEN NAVARRETTE JR.
    Tucson Citizen

When you grab hold of the thorny topic of immigration, sometimes you can't tell what part of the discussion will prick your finger.

I recently addressed the subject as part of a panel. Given the questions - one person suggested opening the U.S.-Mexico border - I'd say the audience was fairly liberal.

When I called for punishing employers, insisted that racism was part of the debate and asserted that much of the ruckus was based on the fear of a changing America, I didn't get much reaction. But then there was the comment that hit close to home.

"You know," I said. "It's worth mentioning that not only do illegal immigrants do jobs that Americans won't do, but many of the jobs they're doing were once done by young people in their teens and 20s - your sons and daughters - who, as a generation, have shown themselves to have a terrible work ethic."

My point was that besides better immigration laws and better enforcement, we also need better parenting - the sort that produces young people who know how to work and aren't afraid to break a sweat.
    Then, the employers I've heard from - apple growers in Washington, restaurant owners in North Carolina, etc. - who claim they can't find young Americans who want to work wouldn't feel as if they had to hire illegal immigrants to pick up the slack.

Afterward, I was surrounded by a group of angry folks who said they were offended. They insisted they had good kids - the kind who worked hard in school and volunteered for worthwhile causes in the summer.
    But when I asked whether their children had after-school or summer jobs, they changed the subject. Some told me what they have told their kids - that their "jobs" are to study hard in school and get good grades.
    Fine. But young people also need to learn how to find a job, take orders, show up on time, and be a dependable employee. Those, too, are valuable skills.

And if many young people aren't learning them, we shouldn't be surprised that we've arrived at a point where many jobs would go undone if not for illegal immigrants.

What evidence did I have that young people had a weak work ethic? one man demanded to know.

I responded that several books have been written about the so-called Millennial Generation, born between 1982 and 2002. Most of the authors make the point that this cohort is self-absorbed to the point of narcissism, consumed by fame and fortune, plagued by a sense of entitlement, and averse to concepts such as "paying your dues" or "working your way to the top."

Many of these kids were raised to believe that they were "special" and now they consume a steady diet of "American Idol"-type reality shows where the right break, and the right amount of talent, can make you rich and famous overnight.

When they do show up in the workplace, many young people are - according to those who supervise them - notoriously tough to manage. They dress like slobs, question authority, shrug off criticism and impatiently wonder why, if they start in the mailroom on Monday, they're not on their way to being vice president by Friday.

Besides, I said, the MySpace generation has such high self-esteem that many of them would never debase themselves to take the hard and dirty jobs that go to illegal immigrants.

The guy shrugged and walked away. He didn't want to be persuaded. He just wanted to defend his kids. That's natural. In fact, it's commendable.
    It's just not helpful. We've blamed Mexico, big business, the media, special interest groups, the U.S. government, and, of course, the illegal immigrants themselves for our current plight.

In fact, we've just about run out of blame. Is it any wonder that there's none left for those of us who are raising children?

Almost eight years ago, President Bush started what became a national conversation about immigration reform. We've talked about nearly every facet of the issue. We've covered it all.

And yet somehow - and I don't think it was by accident - we never got around to an honest and candid discussion about one of the things that contributes to illegal immigration: the fact that too many of our own citizens, especially young citizens, were raised to turn up their noses at jobs that wind up going to you-know-who.

If we want to find a solution, we should accept our share of responsibility for the problem.

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/ss/opinion/90672.php
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Since when does mexico have the right to exploit any questionable work ethic the youth of this country may have by sending 30 million of it's illegal invaders into this country?

Any issues this country has with a lackadaisical work ethic (which I doubt exists) is our problem, not mexicos! Of course, Ruben uses it as an excuse to justify his beloved mexico and the invasion of this country.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I question Mexico's work ethic because their country is such a sh*t hole...
    Serve Bush with his letter of resignation.

See you at the signing!!

What an over-generalization.

We've had numerous article in this area about American teens who can't get jobs because they don't speak Spanish and/or the jobs are taken by those who will work for unlivable wages.

Many kids try but can't get a foot in the door.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Yeah, like Mexico's youth want to work, right?
    "

MOST AMERICAN KIDS ARE GLAD TO GET A JOB.....IF THEY GET PAID. THEY DO WANT TO GET PAID. AND THEY DO EXPECT REASONABLE WORKING CONDITIONS.

JAK
    This man is so sickening!!!

But when I asked whether their children had after-school or summer jobs, they changed the subject. Some told me what they have told their kids - that their "jobs" are to study hard in school and get good grades
    Unitl this ILLEGAL INVASION who do you think use to do the jobs ILLEGAL ALIENS HAVE STOLEN???!!!! American Kids!! That's who!
    My daughter worked at a Diary Queen when she was a teenager!!! Yes, one of the jobs that YOU ALL SAY Americans won't do!!

McDonalds use to be filled with American Teenagers, until ILLEGAL ALIENS STOLE THOSE JOBS AND CORRUPT BUSINESS BY PASSED OUR KIDS!!!

Fine. But young people also need to learn how to find a job, take orders, show up on time, and be a dependable employee. Those, too, are valuable skills.
    Ha! I think you better tell that to the ILLEGAL ALIEN LAWBREAKERS!!! Customer service has went down the toilet!!! They don't have a clue about customer service! I guess business exchanged customer service for cheap labor... and it shows!

The guy shrugged and walked away. He didn't want to be persuaded. He just wanted to defend his kids.That's natural. In fact, it's commendable.
    Yea, we defend our kids!!! YOU just want to defend ILLEGAL ALIEN INVADERS ...using them ...you really could care less about them if they wouldn't help your CHEATING LYING CAUSE!
    It's just not helpful. We've blamed Mexico, big business, the media, special interest groups, the U.S. government, and, of course, the illegal immigrants themselves for our current plight.
    They are to blame, and if you don't think we should be blaming these crooks who should we be blaming?!! If they and if YOU had any shame... you couldn't do what you do and say what you say... but it is clear that you are SHAMELESS along with the rest of the theives you mentioned. Yes you are THEIVES... you are all stealing from the American people!!!!!!!!
    Bush started what became a national conversation about immigration reform.
    A TRAITOR in my opinion!!! We have an ILLEGAL INVASION... and he encourages it and does nothing to defend it!!!
    A Liar, in my opinion!!! Suppose to be fighting a war on TERROR, BUT LEAVES ALL THE DOORS AND ENTRIES WIDE OPEN ...WITH AN INVIATION TO TOP IT OFF!!! Seems to be more loyal to Mexico than to the U.S.!!

we never got around to an honest and candid discussion about one of the things that contributes to illegal immigration
    That's funny!!! YOU AND THOSE LIKE YOU are the only ones so seem to want to deny and hide the truth ...what illegal immigration is costing, and how it is destroying this country. You just keep crying the same old lies...as if one day we will believe it... AMERICANS ARE WAKING UP... that's the reality that you are going to have to face!!! Like it or not!!!
    If we want to find a solution, we should accept our share of responsibility for the problem.
    HA! What a joke...ENFORCE THE LAW... THAT IS THE RESPONSIBLE THING TO DO!!! All you and those like you want to do is CHANGE THE LAW TO AVOID THE CRIME... SEEKING AMNESTY AT ANY COST!!!!!!!!! WHAT A JOKE YOU ALL ARE!

Immigrants do the jobs your lazy kids won't
    ...and if you haven't guessed by now.......
    I AM OFFENDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JERK!!!!!!!!!!!
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!

JAK
    Guess this is what you are so proud of!

Immigrants do the jobs your lazy kids won't
    Too LAZY to find a restroom!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE5Y2nL7 ... re=related
    Bet you are really proud of this one!

Too LAZY to do a job THE RIGHT WAY?!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhILgIO- ... re=related

Thanks McDonalds! NO BLAME HERE... IS THERE!
    American Teenagers helped make you what you are ...and this is the thanks they get!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWt74Lysgj4

Americans are expected to obey the law... why aren't illegal aliens!!
    ENFORCE OUR IMMIGRATION LAWS!!!

Cost of Illegal Immigration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY6t2ckp ... re=related
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!

AE

Navarette is a total ___!! However, I do feel the need to respond.

Many kids try but can't get a foot in the door.
    So true. My oldest, born in 1982, as a teen walked all over town trying to find a job, but was told that either she was not qualified, not old enough, or that she could not work enough hours to satisfy the businesses needs (all of the above were fast food places at the time, and always had their full complement of illegal alien adults flipping burgers, of course THEY could do full time). She wanted a job, but could never get one.

Now as an adult, she and her boyfriend are having a tremendously hard time finding anything and they have applied in so many places.

On the flip side of that, her younger, 14 year old brother, has a summer job, full-time, at his dad's work. The owner had mentioned him by name for the summer line-up, and he also had 4 supervisors squabbling over who got him (he has also been bribed with Krispy Creme's). His work ethic is that of someone twice his age (but I am not bragging or anything...).

This kid is doing the job of a man, he is fully exhausted, and loves every minute of it, plus he loves the pats on the back from adults pleased with him.

I know of so many more like him, who would love the chance he happened to get. They simply do not get the chance to prove they can and do have the work ethics.

Navarette needs to get his head out of his............well you all know and can visualize that one clearly!!!!!
    “In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.â€

Well, Ruben, you might be looking in all the wrong places if all you can find are lazy American youngsters. My daughter worked in motels as a maid when she was young, and all 3 of my grandsons have worked at a tree farm here and bucked hay in the summer to earn money. In fact 2 of them are bucking hay this summer for local farmers. The 2 also worked the season this year at the tree farm. One is 17 and the other 14. The oldest (20 year old) worked at these jobs until he started college, then he worked at a rental center in the area while attending classes. In between time, all 3 grandsons work long hours during harvest time on the family farm, harvesting wheat and barley.

I realize we may have some American kids who are pampered and would rather play X-Box all day than work, but most of the kids I see in my area are hard workers and work at all the fast food joints and do all those other jobs Americans won't do. That's probably because this area isn't flooded yet with illegals taking the jobs away from our kids by driving down the wages. Maybe Ruben needs to look a little closer and see where the problem really lies.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast