Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Re: Navarrette: Immigrants do the jobs your lazy kids won't

[quote="butterbean"]07.11.2008

Navarrette: Immigrants do the jobs your lazy kids won't
    RUBEN NAVARRETTE JR.
    Tucson Citizen

When you grab hold of the thorny topic of immigration, sometimes you can't tell what part of the discussion will prick your finger.

I recently addressed the subject as part of a panel. Given the questions - one person suggested opening the U.S.-Mexico border - I'd say the audience was fairly liberal.

When I called for punishing employers, insisted that racism was part of the debate and asserted that much of the ruckus was based on the fear of a changing America, I didn't get much reaction. But then there was the comment that hit close to home.

"You know," I said. "It's worth mentioning that not only do illegal immigrants do jobs that Americans won't do, but many of the jobs they're doing were once done by young people in their teens and 20s - your sons and daughters - who, as a generation, have shown themselves to have a terrible work ethic."
    Mr. Navarrette: Do you have any children? Are you talking about them? I am assuming that they are American citizens.

Mr. Navarrette: Do you have any young nephews, nieces, or cousins who are American citizens? If you do, are including them when you say American kids have "terrible work ethic"?

Mr. Navarrette, do you realize what you saying?

Your facts in your article is even more reason why we need to stop this illegal immigration invasion:

If we don't stop this invasion now, it is certain that the children of these illegal immigrant invafers will grow up to be become American in every way, that is, they will grow up to have a "terrible work ethic".

As a result, we will be forced to let even
    more illegal immigrants into the country in the future so that they can do the work that children of earlier illegal immigrants will not do, because they are now Americans and have a "terrible work ethic."

AE

So very true mirse, but, you know I think that what Navarette is not saying, but meaning is that those with the terrible work ethic are not his raza, but all other Americans, meaning, non-Latino's have a bad work ethic, as far as Navarette is concerned.

He would really never say it out loud, he is just talking about the non-Latino/Hispanic Americans, no, not his own raza Americans.....
    “In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.â€

Quote Originally Posted by AE
    So very true mirse, but, you know I think that what Navarette is not saying, but meaning is that those with the terrible work ethic are not his raza, but all other Americans, meaning, non-Latino's have a bad work ethic, as far as Navarette is concerned.

He would really never say it out loud, he is just talking about the non-Latino/Hispanic Americans, no, not his own raza Americans.....
    Is it just me?

That is, is it just me or do other Americans find it hard to believe that 20 million illegal immigrants are ALL hard-working, God-fearing, honest individuals as the author Navarrette seems to be saying? mirse

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    Steelerbabe wrote:

I have two children (twins) who are attending college full-time and working 20-30 hours a week during the school year and 40 hours a week during the summer. My two children work their butts off to pay for a car, vehicle insurance, and part of tuition and fees.

Both are making $8.50 an hour.
    They'd be making twice that if the competition in the labormarket was allowed to rise.

A local Republican group here has a loud mouthed neocon, who thinks he is entitled to cheap labor. After if there was not cheap labor, his sandwich shop would have to raise prices and would probably fail.

Wah! So we'd have to live in an America that coldn't afford to produce $1.00 hamburgers anymore.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." -- John Quincy Adams

AE

That is, is it just me or do other Americans find it hard to believe that 20 million illegal immigrants are ALL hard-working, God-fearing, honest individuals as the author Navarrette seems to be saying? mirse
    Oh yeah, it seems that he is suggesting they are all wonderful, law-abiding, people with the morals of saints.
    “In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.â€

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaTC
    They'd be making twice that if the competition in the labormarket was allowed to rise.

A local Republican group here has a loud mouthed neocon, who thinks he is entitled to cheap labor. After if there was not cheap labor, his sandwich shop would have to raise prices and would probably fail.

Wah! So we'd have to live in an America that coldn't afford to produce $1.00 hamburgers anymore.
    If he's making the argument that his prices would dramatically increase, its bull crap. We'd probably pay about $1.10 for that burger with Americans doing the jobs. If he can't afford to pay Americans a decent wage, then he has always been addicted to illegal labor, and his business has always been a criminal enterprise. He is a sh*tty businessman who should go under if he is that dependent on illegals.
    Serve Bush with his letter of resignation.

See you at the signing!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123