Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

ConcernedVet

No need to open a bank account. Just go to PayPal and open an account. Making donations to a PayPal account is a SNAP (and I believe you can have three co-signers) and less hassle than a bank account.

Quote Originally Posted by dxd
    Bonus March, a march by World War I veterans on Washington, D.C., in 1932. In May 1932 Walter V. Waters and other veterans in Portland, Oregon, formed the Bonus Expeditionary Force (BEF), known as the Bonus Army. They demanded payment of a bonus promised to them in 1924 but not available until 1945. The veterans were suffering through the Great Depression and needed the bonus immediately.

The Bonus Army left Portland, added thousand of recruits along the route, and arrived in Washington at the end of May. About 20,000 veterans gathered at Anacostia Flats and demanded the United States Congress provide immediate payment of the bonus. In June the House of Representatives agreed to immediate payment, but the Senate defeated the legislation. Many veterans then left the capital.

More than 4000 veterans remained in Washington, D.C., however, and they rioted on July 28. President Herbert Hoover ordered federal troops under General Douglas MacArthur to end the riot. The Bonus Army was driven away by cavalry, tanks, and infantry armed with tear gas, and their camp was destroyed. The group left Washington after Congress appropriated $100,000 to send them home. In 1936 Congress passed legislation providing for cash payments of the veterans’ bonuses.
    Looks like Fox News & Oliver North did a story on Gen. Douglas MacArthur which included a segment about the Bonus March. Is there where you learned about the Bonus March? And here I thought it was my lack of schooling. Ha Ha. The laughs on me. The time lapse must account for my lack of schooling. I guess that just proves that those of us in the western half of the country don't get the info as quickly as the eastern half.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123