Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

The Power of One - Geno's Steaks

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/entert ... 780002.htm
    __________________________________________________ _________

Please support Geno's Steaks. This is an example of one individual who stands up and refuses to back down to P.C. This is an example of the Power of One. Send your e-mails to genos@genosteaks.com. My e-mail was as follows:
    __________________________________________________ _________

Dear Geno,

Getting a little publicity lately, huh? Right on for your "speak English" sign. You represent millions of 'silent' Americans. I have many friends who went through alot of B.S. to get legally admitted to this country. By allowing illegal immigration, we are just giving these good people a slap in the face.

I'm even thinking of starting a biker rally to your place to show support. We bikers love Geno's !

I live in DE now, but stll work in downtown Philly. I have many fond memories of stopping for a Cheese Wit. I gotta get back there soon !

Tell Councilman Kenney to get lost.

You have lots of support. Keep on keepin' on.

Member: Patriot Guard Riders
    Member: Americans for Legal Immigration
    Member: Of the U.S. of A. and proud of it
    __________________________________________________ ___________

Councilman asks Geno's to lose 'Speak English' sign

PATRICK WALTERS
    Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA -

At a City Council meeting Thursday, Councilman Jim Kenney asked Geno's Steaks to take down its sign that says, "This Is AMERICA: WHEN ORDERING SPEAK ENGLISH."

That's just the latest example of how an English-only ordering policy has thrust one of Philadelphia's most famous cheesesteak joints into the national immigration debate.

Bistec con queso? Not at Geno's Steaks.

Located in a diverse South Philadelphia immigrant neighborhood, Geno's and its chief rival, Pat's King of Steaks, form the epicenter of an area described as "ground zero for cheesesteaks."

But by posting the small sign in the window, Geno's owner Joseph Vento has drawn his restaurant into a political storm.

"They don't know how lucky they are. All we're asking them to do is learn the English language," said Vento, 66. "We're out to help these people, but they've got to help themselves, too."

Vento, whose grandparents struggled to learn English after immigrating from Sicily in the 1920s, said he posted the sign about six months ago amid concerns over immigration reform and the increasing number of customers who could not order in English.

Philadelphians are known for their sloppy English - sometimes it seems more people say "youse" than "you" - but they take their cheesesteak ordering seriously. Pat's even has a sign instructing customers how to properly shorthand their order, earning it comparisons to the Soup Nazi on "Seinfeld." Ask for a "Whiz with" and you get fried steak, sliced or chopped, in a long roll topped with Cheese Whiz and fried onions.

The traditionally Italian community near Geno's has become more diverse over the decades. Immigrants from Asia and Latin America have moved in, mixing in among longtime residents and young professionals seeking more reasonably priced row houses. In the last 10 years, an estimated 15,000 to 20,000 Mexican immigrants - many of them here illegally, community leaders say - have settled in South Philly.

Vento said his staff are glad to help non-native speakers order in English and have never turned one away because of a language barrier.

But his policy is irking some groups.

"It's really upset a lot of a people," said Brad Baldia, director of development and outreach for Day Without An Immigrant, a coalition of immigrant groups. "For some people, I think we're just going to say 'Le gusta Pat's.'"

Juntos, a neighborhood organization that advocates for Latino communities, said it plans to send people to Geno's to try to order in Spanish. Depending on what happens, the group may pursue court action, said Peter Bloom, the group's director.

"His grandparents encountered the same racism and the same xenophobia," Bloom said. "Why would he begin that process over again?"

In asking for the sign's removal, Councilman Kenney noted that Geno's is "an iconic institution and business, one that is that visible for many of our residents, for the region and the world."

For his part, Vento said he's gotten plenty of criticism and threats: One person told him they hoped one his many neon signs flames out and burns the place down. But he said he plans to hold his ground, even if he loses business: "I'll take the gamble."

Customers placing orders on a recent morning seemed unfazed.

Angelica Marquez, 22, of Philadelphia, is originally from Puerto Rico. She ordered in well-spoken English, but said some of her relatives struggle with the language.

"They always come and just say 'cheesesteak,'" Marquez said, adding that the policy "bothers her some" but not enough to keep her away.

When a non-English speaking customer showed up at the window a short time later, a clerk patiently coached him through the process. Eventually, they both said "cheesesteak."

Vento, a short, fiery man with a ninth-grade education, arms covered in tattoos and a large diamond ring in his ear, is no stranger to political controversy.

He sells "freedom fries" to protest France's opposition to the Iraq war. He rails against Mumia Abu-Jamal, the black man convicted of killing police Officer Daniel Faulkner in 1981 who is a cause celebre of some death penalty opponents. Memorials to Faulkner are posted at his shop.

Those who market the city, often using images of Geno's and other famous steak shops, say they are treading carefully.

"I certainly wouldn't want a national audience to think it represented all of the wonderful cheesesteak makers in the whole city," said Meryl Levitz, president and CEO of the Greater Philadelphia Tourism Marketing Corp. "This isn't representative of the Philadelphia attitude."

There are plenty of other places for people to get a cheesesteak if they don't agree with Vento, Levitz said, adding that her group would keep an eye on the uproar as it decides whether to use Geno's as part of future advertising campaigns.

Competitors are seizing on the controversy, too.

Tony Luke's issued a statement saying its shops welcome all customers "whether or not they speak a 'wit' of English."

And a manager at Pat's said the shop welcomes people of all tongues.

"That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life," Kathy Smith said of the English-only policy. "I'd rather listen to the Spanish than the foul language of the college students."

But Vento said his business will be fine. He adds a simple explanation for the recent negative vibe against him.

"I think they miss T.O. in this city," he said of reviled former Philadelphia Eagles receiver Terrell Owens. "They've got Joey Vento now."
    "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

GirlGeek,

I sent Geno a Kudos letter last night!!!!!!!!

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I emailed him a sincere thank you yesterday.
    "Liberty CANNOT be preserved without general knowledge among people" John Adams (August 1765)

Good for Geno, I hope his sign stays up.
    As the saying goes "if you can read this thank your teachers and if you are reading this in English thank the United States Military"
    If it were not for the brave men and women who fought and died for this country we would not be speaking English today! We have every right to demand that English be spoken in this country!
    When I am down in Mexico I speak spanish and it is taken as a sign of respect, the Mexicans know this so they should know when they are up here they should speak English.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I e-mailed him last week, along with Kenny and that woman from the Philly tourist association who commented. I see he's been interviewed on tv lots over the last two days....what a hoot he is!

Re: The Power of One - Geno's Steaks

Quote Originally Posted by GirlGeek
    I'm even thinking of starting a biker rally to your place to show support. We bikers love Geno's !
    I wish you could arrange something like that.....would be awesome, all the bikes and american flags....especially if he got lots of media coverage!

Juntos, a neighborhood organization that advocates for Latino communities, said it plans to send people to Geno's to try to order in Spanish. Depending on what happens, the group may pursue court action, said Peter Bloom, the group's director. ""

Ya see, this guy needs to sit down and STFU. Sending people in there to start trouble and try and drag the guy to court. Ya see PETER, if these people would learn ENGLISH the sign wouldn't be there, it's not like they're on vacation, THEY LIVE HERE , idiot! and refuse to learn the language. How about you teach people english in all your spare time instead of clogging up the court system with your garbage. Do something worth while for a change. My God people like this make me sick!! I hope that sign stays there forever. And more people in the town follow suit.

SHA

GENO'S - YEHAW FOR YOU !!!

Sharon Brenner & friends in FORT WORTH TEXAS SUPPORT YOU 100%, AND WE ARE GOING TO MAKE OUR VOICES COUNT!! YOU STAY TOUGH. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO AS THE OWNER TO SAY, I'M SORRY I CAN'T UNDERSTAND YOU, AND NOT SERVE THEM.

i told you guys a long time ago that a "We Speak English" business campaign would work wonders.

If Vento has to go to court he should speak Italian if he can and ask for a translator, if they refuse knowing he speaks english he should claim discrimination. What about the signs carried in the protest alot of those were racist. Maybe americans should demand something be done about those signs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast