Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Racist comment?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

mkfarm, no I wasn't even in a discussion with the guy who complained. I had never talked to him before, nor did I know he was reading my posts, let alone know what ethnicity he might have been. The discussion it came up in was with someone else who was acting like a jerk, so I told him so. When he got mad that I "called him names" I replied that I call a spade a spade (meaning that if he is acting like a jerk, I will call him a jerk). Basically if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck. I have no idea what ethnicity the original jerk is, either. But it's funny, though, the guy who got bent out of shape after interrupting the conversation automatically assumes that I'm white. I might be, but I might not be. Hmm...
    Proud wife of an undocumented ICE agent.
    Definition of a RACIST according to Madeline Cosman : Real American Committed to Integrity Sovereignty and Truth

Quote Originally Posted by corhanem
    mkfarm, no I wasn't even in a discussion with the guy who complained. I had never talked to him before, nor did I know he was reading my posts, let alone know what ethnicity he might have been. The discussion it came up in was with someone else who was acting like a jerk, so I told him so. When he got mad that I "called him names" I replied that I call a spade a spade (meaning that if he is acting like a jerk, I will call him a jerk). Basically if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck. I have no idea what ethnicity the original jerk is, either. But it's funny, though, the guy who got bent out of shape after interrupting the conversation automatically assumes that I'm white. I might be, but I might not be. Hmm...
    [quote:2z8et48h]Quote:
    So sometimes people just want to be offended -----
    so they can play the victim in order to demean the opposition and thereby promote their agenda which often involves the very thing they say they are offended from.[/quote:2z8et48h]
    A quote from on of my previous posts on this subject that I believe sums up the actions of those just looking to be offended so thay can scream and rail against a perceived offense, eventhough the offense is created in their own mind from their own prejudices.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Wow, okay guys (and gals). I never intended to start a war. It is apparent that in some places, during certain eras, that the word BY ITSELF may have been used as a derogatory reference to a person of dark color.

My question was mostly about whether the entire statement "calling a spade, a spade" is really a racist remark.

I thank everyone for their contributions. There's no need to get upset about this. I was very curious to see if I had inadvertently said something obnoxious, but it's pretty apparent that I did not in the context it was used.
    Being a gardener, when I hear the statement, calling a spade a spade, I think of a common garden tool - a spade. Getting upset over that comment in that context is just looking for something to cry about.
    <div>GOD - FAMILY - COUNTRY</div>

I have no idea what ethnicity the original jerk is, either. But it's funny, though, the guy who got bent out of shape after interrupting the conversation automatically assumes that I'm white. I might be, but I might not be. Hmm...
    I worked at this place 2 years ago---and one of my best friends' there was a black woman. We both hated our manager. He would always use every opportunity to call everyone into his office to give rah-rah talks, bit$h, etc. She used to always try to talk me into saying to him........"You are only saying this because I am black".........Just to see the shock on his face!!!
    "We call things racism just to get attention. We reduce complicated problems to racism, not because it is racism, but because it works." --- Alfredo Gutierrez, political consultant.

........"You are only saying this because I am black"
    Hahahahaha!!

To top it all off, my husband's grandmother was black.

I guess I married someone I hate -- and if THAT doesn't defy logic, I don't know what does.
    Proud wife of an undocumented ICE agent.
    Definition of a RACIST according to Madeline Cosman : Real American Committed to Integrity Sovereignty and Truth

........"You are only saying this because I am black"
    Hahahahaha!!

To top it all off, my husband's grandmother was black.

I guess I married someone I hate -- and if THAT doesn't defy logic, I don't know what does.
    I guess that it is the same thing as when the illegals and their supporters call black citizens or Latinos racist-----because they are against the illegals.
    "We call things racism just to get attention. We reduce complicated problems to racism, not because it is racism, but because it works." --- Alfredo Gutierrez, political consultant.

Senior Member AmericanElizabeth's Avatar
    corhanem, to me, it is not at all racist, but then again....some people have skin as sensative as a peach.

Funny story, when my mother was a kid in the early 50's, in Seattle, and went to class for the first day of junior high, the teacher was making the rounds of calling out names, he came to her last name, Cormier, and looked at her and said "ah, you're a Canuck". She said she turned so many shades of red, and was so apalled, as she was sure she had been called something derogatory. Here's why. She always knew that her family were "sheep in wolf's clothing", so to speak. They were half native Canadian, and simply passing off as "French". She had been sworn to silence by the aunt and grandma who were raising her. So she thought he had caught on and knew and was going to reveal it. She was mortified.

Well, what he was really referring to was that her last name was widely known in Canada (which is where here grandfather was from), as he had spent time teaching up there, but she did not know that till later on, and that Canuck is a reference to anyone Canadian by nationality.

So the moral of the story was that she was carrying her own "baggage" and he did not know that, and she felt hurt and insulted of her own accord, same as this freaked out poster on this other board. He/she has got their own baggage and not one of us are responsible for that.
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanElizabeth
    corhanem, to me, it is not at all racist, but then again....some people have skin as sensative as a peach.

Funny story, when my mother was a kid in the early 50's, in Seattle, and went to class for the first day of junior high, the teacher was making the rounds of calling out names, he came to her last name, Cormier, and looked at her and said "ah, you're a Canuck". She said she turned so many shades of red, and was so apalled, as she was sure she had been called something derogatory. Here's why. She always knew that her family were "sheep in wolf's clothing", so to speak. They were half native Canadian, and simply passing off as "French". She had been sworn to silence by the aunt and grandma who were raising her. So she thought he had caught on and knew and was going to reveal it. She was mortified.
    That is funny!!

Re: Racist comment?

Is it an ethnic slur to say you call a spade a spade?

During a recent conversation off of ALIPAC, I said someone was a jerk. The jerk fired back. Anyway, my final response to him was that I "call a spade, a spade" and if he didn't like my opinions, he should stop asking for them.

Someone else who wasn't even a part of the convo said he was a black and was offended at my statement of calling a spade a spade.

I sat there scratching my head trying to figure out what could have offended him about that statement, but he swears it's racist ?????

Anyone have any insight? I certainly didn't mean it to be racist nor did I know it even HAD a racist connotation, if it really does.
    IMO, to "call a spade a spade" is no more racist than "calling the kettle black". BUT SOME PEOPLE MISINTERPRET everything. When I was growing up, I never heard black people being referred to by these lines.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Some people feel important when they claim they are offended. Most people can see through the sham.

As a previous poster stated...grow some skin, grow up and get a life.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast