Quote Originally Posted by MW
nntrixie wrote:

Perhaps they tried, but the "people" didn't want to hear it. Americans are strange in that way. They don't typically respond well with what they perceive as someone elses problem. They are more worried about little Johnny's soccer game, their vacation, American Idol, etc. As you and I both know, a lot of folks are only going to get involved when they become personally affected. That's just the way of things (human nature). IMHO, 9/11 changed all that. It's unfortunate that it took the loss of 5,000 American lives to wake people up, however, the tragedy did serve to bring immigration and border security to the forefront for a lot of people. These folks are now paying attention and are eager to listen!

If it weren't for 9/11, Tancredo, Hunter, and others like them would probably still be speaking to deaf ears.

Yes, I do see that some didn't want to hear - I got that myself - until the flood hit their area.

I just think there were enough that would have had their eyes opened, if someone in authority had shown pictures, statistics, facts.
They could certainly have spoken out after 9/11 and kept speaking out. Americans were ready for it then, and would have listened if the facts had been given to them - loudly and often enough.

I am grateful some have done what they have done - I'm still waiting for anyone to get the backbone to say that jobs are the incentive and employers offer those jobs. Those jobs have to be dried up.

Maybe they will - I do realize however, they all depend on corporate donations to some degree.