Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Santa Cruz Mayor Declares Lou Dobbs Boycott

Santa Cruz mayor declares March as "Lou Dobbs-free Month"

(Lou discussed this during the third hour of his radio show today also.)

Read the article and comments at:

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/ci_846 ... st_emailed

See video and access "proclamation" at:

http://www.santacruzlive.com/blogs/vide ... obbs-free/

Sentinel staff report
    Article Launched: 03/05/2008 01:40:04 PM PST

SANTA CRUZ -- The mayor, in a quixotic move unrelated to city business, is asking Santa Cruz residents to turn off "Lou Dobbs Tonight."

The boycott, announced Wednesday in a proclamation written by Mayor Ryan Coonerty that declares March a "Lou Dobbs-free month," is retaliation for the CNN anchor's criticism of Rep. Sam Farr, D-Carmel, after the congressman told an Immigration and Customs Enforcement official last week that his constituents view the agency as similar to the secret Nazi police, the Gestapo.

"This is a tongue-in-cheek effort at a real serious issue," said Coonerty, who acknowledged the proclamation is somewhat silly. "So, this is my little way of saying I wish our national journalists would engage in a little more thoughtful journalism ... and not pick out one word out of a two-hour hearing on a hard subject."

Neither Dobbs nor a CNN representative could be reached to comment Wednesday.

Farr, who has represented the Central Coast in Congress since 1993, was lambasted by Dobbs on his Feb. 26 show for remarks made at a House committee hearing while questioning ICE chief Julie Myers about recent raids.

According to transcripts, Farr said, "The public image of you becomes one of not this compassionate law enforcement agency but essentially a Gestapo-type agency that is knocking down doors."

Myers immediately responded, "We are not the Gestapo."

Dobbs, a vocal opponent of open borders who has advocated for illegal
    Advertisement
    Footlocker.com
    immigration crackdowns, has welcomed Farr to come on the show to defend the comment.

Farr has not withdrawn the remark. He said it came from the impression many of his constituents have of ICE, which periodically rounds up people without proper documents and deports them.

Coonerty's proclamation, which did not use up any staff time or city money, is supported by council colleagues and other community leaders.

Doug Keegan of the Santa Cruz County Immigration Project praised the proclamation, saying immigration raids spread fear.

"Farr's comment might have been a little over the top," Keegan said. "But it is a very scary situation. I'm always being asked if immigration is going to come get my mom or if immigration is going to come get my brother. We need to find a reasonable compromise."

Councilman Mike Rotkin defended Farr's comments, saying they accurately represent his view of U.S. immigration officials.

"I appreciate Farr using forceful language. It helps make your point and I like to see that," Rotkin said.

Farr was unavailable to comment Wednesday. His spokesman Tom Mentzer said, "This is why I like Santa Cruzans. They won't be censored by anyone. They tell it like it is."
    Contact Shanna McCord at 429-2401 or smccord@santacruzsentinel.com.

Farr has not withdrawn the remark. He said it came from the impression many of his constituents have of ICE, which periodically rounds up people without proper documents and deports them.
    Constituents are people who VOTED for you, not illegal aliens, you moron! Illegal aliens are NOT constituents. They have no right to be here. Don't bite the hand that voted for you buddy.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

I think Lou should call Farr's bluff by asking for a list of the complaining constituents so that he can personally contact each individual to set the record straight, then we'll see who's telling the truth!

This doesn't surprise me a bit! Santa Cruz is an extremely liberal town full of gays and lesbians. Last time I stayed there I had something stolen from me out of my hotel room by one of the mexican maids and the manager tried to make it like I was the one who was lying! I don't care if I ever go there again. Santa Cruz is ruined by it's own liberlism and won't be getting my tourist dollars anymore.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This doesn't surprise me a bit! Santa Cruz is an extremely liberal town full of gays and lesbians. Last time I stayed there I had something stolen from me out of my hotel room by one of the mexican maids and the manager tried to make it like I was the one who was lying! I don't care if I ever go there again. Santa Cruz is ruined by it's own liberlism and won't be getting my tourist dollars anymore.
    SC is only about 72 miles south of the biggest looney bin on the face of this planet which would be San Francisco. It's no wonder Santa Cruz has adopted many of those characteristics and traits of their sister city.

I'm turning on my tv set right now to CNN!

Lou is going to discuss the "Dobbs Free Zone" during Lou Dobbs Tonight.

SC is only about 72 miles south of the biggest looney bin on the face of this planet which would be San Francisco. It's no wonder Santa Cruz has adopted many of those characteristics and traits of their sister city.

I'm turning on my tv set right now to CNN!
    LOL...you got THAT right. SF was our next stop and that was a whole nother adventure. I hated that town and felt nervous and stressed out the whole time I was there. NEVER AGAIN!

I just got this email reply from the Mayor:

Thanks for writing. Dobbs didn’t quote Farr correctly – that was the point.

As to fascism, I don’t understand your point. I teach First Amendment law. I am pretty sure the way free expression works is that Lou Dobbs voices his opinion. I, then, as an American, get to offer my opinion. You then get to offer your thoughts. I don't understand why you seem to hate the American tradition of freedom.

Read the Proclamation. I don't attack Lou Dobbs for having an opinion. I attack him for being a hack journalist.

All the best,

Ryan

This is my reply to him:

I don't hate the freedom. However, when you want to ask for a boycott that is in essence to "shut someone up." That's saying let's tell people that this person's "opinion" is not worthy to listen to, whether you agree with him or not. I've seen the quote from the transcript by Farr and it is correct. That Representative is no friend to those working hard to save this state and our sovereignty. He needs to be replaced.

To take the position you have on this issue is irresponsible . So you're trying to say that Farr didn't use the words Gestapo to the ICE representative? Come on!

You go, Gogo! Good for you!!!

Thanks I'm sick of cities and mayors and councils like Santa Cruz and Berkley. Berkley is now hurting because their own business people have told them to back off the Marines because it is hurting their businesses.

Talk about "hacks" these politicians are hacks.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast